Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
ScooterAccessories

GT200 Fuel

Last post 01-07-2008 07:43 PM by winterheart. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-07-2008 09:42 AM

GT200 Fuel

Any suggestions on what fuel I should run in it. It'll finally be in Albury sometime Wednesday, and am wondering being a 4 stroke 200 liquid cooled engine, can I run 98octane in it?

Any suggestions?

• 01-07-2008 11:30 AM In reply to

• Tubsta
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-22-2007
    • Secret Test Track, South Gippsland, Australia
    • Posts 1,192

Re: GT200 Fuel

If it is not EFI or modified, then stick with 91-95 RON.  Cheaper and sufficient to do the job.  But to answer the original question, yes you can run 98 RON in it, no problems.

"Being cold is the result of laziness" - Bunta Fujiwara

Current ride: Yamaha XT660Z Tenere.
    Gone: Piaggio MP3 400ie, too unreliable in the rain (think Italian electrics).

ScooterZine
  • 01-07-2008 11:36 AM In reply to

Thanks Tubsta,

I guess having a 2 stroke for a while, I never realy thought about fuel quality (I know I should) but premium ULP should do the trick. 

• 01-07-2008 01:01 PM In reply to

Are there any real benefits from running the more expensive fuel? I have to admit that I do use the 98 fuel, but haven't noticed any difference in emissions, or increase in distance travelled before refill

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 01-07-2008 01:17 PM In reply to

• Tubsta
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-22-2007
    • Posts 1,192

If you are running a modified engine, there maybe a need to run a higher RON fuel due to compression ratios etc.  The notice of high RON fuel will come about in EFI scooters/vehicles as the O2 sensor detects and the computer adjusts the fuel mix on the fly.  You can (if ridden the same way) get better milage from a higher RON fuel in an EFI vehicle.  There will be little to no difference on a carb scooter using a high RON fuel except in your wallet.

ScooterZine
  • 01-07-2008 01:46 PM In reply to

I was thinking about suggesting a mix of kerosene & ethanol for new Vespa,  but then I thought allowing my jealousy to surface like that would be mean spirited Huh?

Seriously, unless you have EFI (or a carb engine that has been specifically designed or tuned for a high RON), then a high RON fuel in a 4 stroke is generally a waste of money.  I have owned some European carb engined cars that required a high RON as that was how they had been designed and found that some EFI engines cannot adjust properly to anything other than a high RON fuel.

I would rely on heavily on the manufacturers recommendation for your new Vespa.

Two sleeps to go eh ? 

Deklan 

“It’s not the destination but the journey”
    Vespa GT200 in Grigio (Smokey Grey)

• 01-07-2008 01:52 PM In reply to

kiwiscoota:
    Two sleeps to go eh ? 
    It's been a long wait, but at least I got to see her on the floor up there with the nice SOLD sticker and plates on it. Thanks, I'll look at the manual, and run it on what ever Mr Piaggio says it drinks.

• 01-07-2008 02:57 PM In reply to

whatever it states in the owners manual. but for a eurpoean scooter it is usually recommended to use 95+RON petrol

argentum melle
  • 01-07-2008 03:34 PM In reply to

• Tubsta
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-22-2007
    • Posts 1,192

silverflyer:

whatever it states in the owners manual. but for a eurpoean scooter it is usually recommended to use 95+RON petrol

Spot on.  When in doubt, refer to the manual or ask Steve@Ace what the manual says if you can't wait 2 days :-) 

ScooterZine
  • 01-07-2008 07:43 PM In reply to

Run whatever the manufacturer recommends, or if there's no specific recommendation then basic ulp or pulp will be fine.  My last modified car ran a strict diet of 98ron and even a few years ago that was sufficient to make a dent in the hip pocket compared to basic ulp.

Cheers Smile

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au