Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Aprilia

Pants

Last post 08-06-2013 11:14 AM by DontSailBkwd. 60 replies.
Page 1 of 5 (61 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-07-2008 01:16 PM

• Scott
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-07-2007
    • Brisbane South
    • Posts 1,702

Pants

We all must wear helmets and we have talked heaps about jackets and gloves but how many actually wear bike pants (with extra protection and I am not talking about the lycra stuff before some smartass says it Zip it!) when riding?

Do you wear them for the daily commute or just weekend rides?

What sort do you wear/recommend?

Just looking to buy some and trying to weigh up my options.

Thanks heaps

Wife first, scooters and birds second.
    Got to remember that order......

The 125cc Bug Agility is rather ill, may be terminal so onto the Mighty Mio 100!
  • 01-07-2008 01:27 PM In reply to

Re: Pants

For around town I wear Draggin Jeans. They have kevlar patches inside the jeans that protect the hips, knees and rear end.

For highway riding and cruising I used to wear proper riding pants with padding in the shoulders, elbows and back.

I say 'used to' because the pants are now sitting in my garage wrecked after a 100 kph crash I had two months ago. Those pants saved me a sh*tload of problems. I broke some bones but I didn't sustain any gravel burns. I understand skin grafting can be extremely painful.

Someone told me falling off a bike at 60 kph and running your hand along the road surface is equal to putting your hand on a grinder.

Food for thought. I don't want to sound alarmist and spoil your idyllic thoughts of scootering in the great outdoors but that's the reality of it. There were seven people in the hospital same time as me as a result of bike accidents and I only live in a town in the central west.

Enjoy your riding; there's nothing like it. But be sensible about it.

Cheers

• 01-07-2008 01:56 PM In reply to

Good question. I dont have propper MC or Scooter pants as such, but do wear double knee dungaree jeans (Carharrt) when going on a long distance ride out of town (rare on the BeeWee, and assume on the new Vespa will happen frequently). I ride to work sometimes in (DONT SHOOT ME PEOPLE) shorts.

I think what happend with Fossils crash is testament to safety equipment, and Anthony also had a crash last year on his Monaco, and I think his bark was saved by protective gear. I would like to know myself, whats good for pants. I've heard a lot of good stuff about these draggin jeans.  

• 01-07-2008 06:43 PM In reply to

• Denni
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Gold Coast
    • Posts 994

I wear Dri Rider pants these have a higher back and protection for your hips and knees and I can wear shorts under them.I find these good for long rides up the M1 in summer as they have good ventilation and when you get to your destination you can slip them off. They also have winter zip in liners which are great. I find the Draggin jeans to hot, good as another option for winter but in summer when you get to your destination they are so thick and because of the kevlar lining don't breathe. I also have the matching Dri Rider jacket great for winter.

I have been in touch with Draggin Jeans about making me a pair of full kevlar pull on pants similar design to their gloves and long sleeve shirt that I wear in summer. There first response was wear our Draggin jeans but when I explained that it is more appropriate for me to wear shorts because of the type of work I do they said they would get back to me. I'm still waiting I think I will have to give them a gentle prod.

I to have had a spill, I was wearing my Dri Rider pants Draggin jeans kevlar shirt, and gloves which meant no skin off just a sore shoulder from the thud and a few scratches on my lid. Had to replace the lid but ever thing else was fine not even any marks.

Cheers :) 

Trusty 'Beo has found a new home.
    New adventures on the BMW 650.

• 01-07-2008 07:50 PM In reply to

Scott:

We all must wear helmets and we have talked heaps about jackets and gloves but how many actually wear bike pants (with extra protection and I am not talking about the lycra stuff before some smartass says it Zip it!) when riding?

Do you wear them for the daily commute or just weekend rides?

What sort do you wear/recommend?

Just looking to buy some and trying to weigh up my options.

Thanks heaps

I wear full gear all the time I'm on the scooter.  I've seen too many victims of road trauma, reconstruction and debridement to be willing to risk myself by not wearing protective gear, even on days like last friday when I was riding in almost 40 deg temps.  That said, to each their own and it is up to each person to make their own decision.

My current gear consists of Joe Rocket convertible textile jacket with zip out winterlining and convertible into a mesh jacket with armour inserts, joe rocket pants with removable panel and zipout winter lining, nolan n102 flipface lid and summer and winter gloves.  My bike boots are in need of replacing atm due to wearing through the bottom of them (roll on payday!).  I'm looking at replacing my pants and jacket for winter, possibly with Dririder atm.

Cheers Smile 

• 01-08-2008 10:16 AM In reply to

• VENTURI
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-28-2007
    • Gold Coast
    • Posts 442

Draggins are great. I have the grey zip off's which convert to shorts, so I can be a bit cooler in summer when I get off the scoot.

I have had to use them in anger twice & would have been a lot worse off without them.

• 01-08-2008 10:27 AM In reply to

i wear draggin jeans all the time i am on the scoot. in the winter a pair of dri rider bike pants. they have the proctection for the knees and hips.

argentum melle
  • 01-08-2008 07:06 PM In reply to

Draggin if I'm out riding any distance.  Jeans, Chino's or Cargo's depending on the situation.  I get 'em at a good price Stick out tongue  Otherwise just normal jeans.  Not ideal, but the Draggin's can be a bit warm in the summer with all that Kevlar. 

On the recent MAD ride (charity ride for a local spinal unit which has too many motorcyclists amongst its patients) I reckon about 80% were wearing Draggin's - and that's out of about 700 riders.  Far too many were wearing Camo's if you ask me (which personally I think are about as masculine as leather trousers, or better still chapsStick out tongue).

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 01-08-2008 11:56 PM In reply to

• Scott
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-07-2007
    • Brisbane South
    • Posts 1,702

Thanks for the input guys.  Appreciated and taken on board - sounds like more than one pair are needed, especially with the Qld summer.

The 125cc Bug Agility is rather ill, may be terminal so onto the Mighty Mio 100!
  • 01-09-2008 10:25 AM In reply to

I had a serious 'off' about a year ago. No gravel rash at all. I had Draggin' jeans and a Joe Rocket Cleo jacket(with armour in) and Doc Martens boots. Some head injuries (Half face m2r lid) and a seriously broken wrist.  Without the gear there is no doubt I would be dead. Instead I'm still ridding and enjoying life. 

My 2 cs is anyone who doesn't wear protective gear doesn't value their own life. 

Previously many road/trail bikes
    Honda Spacy , Scarabeo 200
    Hyundai Rally 100, Scarabeo 500
    MP3 250, Hyosung gv650
    Fuoco, Bonniville
    Piaggio Fly 125
    Scarabeo 500ie (2010)
    Piaggio Fly 150ie (2012)+
    Suzuki Boulevard M50
    http://www.coffeescoffer.com
    http://tastag.coffeescoffer.com (forum)
  • 01-09-2008 10:46 PM In reply to

steve@ace:

Far too many were wearing Camo's if you ask me (which personally I think are about as masculine as leather trousers, or better still chapsStick out tongue).

LOL, as long as the leather trousers happen to cover certain anatomical sections its all good!!!

• 01-10-2008 08:12 AM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

I really need to get my bum into some Draggins.  Do they make them for barge arses?

2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 01-10-2008 11:49 AM In reply to

• Scott
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-07-2007
    • Brisbane South
    • Posts 1,702

Dakoda:

I really need to get my bum into some Draggins.  Do they make them for barge arses?

Not answering that question, far too loaded for my liking!

Well, got me some textile pants - well will have in a few days.  Won a new pair of Joe Rocket pants on Ebay!

• 01-10-2008 11:49 AM In reply to

• Scott
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-07-2007
    • Brisbane South
    • Posts 1,702

Dakoda:

Not answering that question, far too loaded for my liking!

Well, got me some textile pants - well will have in a few days.  Won a new pair of Joe Rocket pants on Ebay!

• 01-10-2008 01:30 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

I prefer to try before I buy, so that they fit properly!

2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
Page 1 of 5 (61 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au