Scooter
Community

Scooters & Train Stations

Last post 01-18-2008 12:24 PM by Scott. 34 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (35 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-09-2008 03:47 PM

Scooters & Train Stations

Wondering how safe a scooter would be parked at a trainstation all day when the company I work for move into the city later this year. Does anyone have any experience with doing this? Hopefully I'll have the Vespa by then, I think they come with immobilisers... not sure about motorcycle parking at the station or if I could chain it to a lamp post...

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 01-09-2008 03:53 PM In reply to

• Scott
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • Brisbane South
    • Posts 1,702

Re: Scooters & Train Stations

I hate train stations!  Seedy places.

If I were you I would use the biggest chain I could and the biggest immovable object!

That is just my opinion of here in Brisbane.

Wife first, scooters and birds second.
    Got to remember that order......

The 125cc Bug Agility is rather ill, may be terminal so onto the Mighty Mio 100!
  • 01-09-2008 04:12 PM In reply to

We have a heap of customers who do this. Can't remember of any being stolen but a few have suffered minor parking damage.

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 01-09-2008 04:24 PM In reply to

This could be a good opportunity for me to take my pushbike out of the mothballs. It's about 7km to the trainstation, reasonably flat except for one major hill. I dunno about doing this in winter though... dark, cold, wet... will wait n see what the options are when the time comes

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 01-09-2008 04:36 PM In reply to

• RHINO62
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-28-2007
    • Dalby Qld
    • Posts 262

Good reason to have 2 scooters!!!!!!!

One for weekdays to take to the station & if it gets scratched - no big deal.

One for the weekends / special occasions.Cool 

1st Scooter Daelim S-Five
    Next Scooter ???
  • 01-09-2008 05:00 PM In reply to

RHINO62:

Good reason to have 2 scooters!!!!!!!

One for weekdays to take to the station & if it gets scratched - no big deal.

One for the weekends / special occasions.Cool 

Excellent thinking Rhino,   a cheap used scoot for riding to the station, going shopping (supermarket car parks) etc, that no-one would want to steal and if it gets scratched who cares,  and have a NICE, and I mean REALLY NICE scoot for weekends etc.

AND most importantly follow the advice posted here sometime back,  where ever possible park your scoot next to an expensive sports bike Wink 

Deklan 

“It’s not the destination but the journey”
    Vespa GT200 in Grigio (Smokey Grey)

• 01-09-2008 05:53 PM In reply to

• Tubsta
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-22-2007
    • Secret Test Track, South Gippsland, Australia
    • Posts 1,192

Why park at the station?  Trains are late, too full and hideously expensive.  They have that stupid park and ride thing at Doncaster down here for scooters and motorbikes.  Pfft, why bother.  You can get to the city quicker and cheaper and don't have to pay for parking.  Oh, did I mention on time?  Connex are useless at public tranport, Yarra Trams are not much better.

Best thing is you get your own seat without anyone breathing over you. 

Like the others said, have a trash and bash scooter that you will run into the ground commuting and a nice scoot for enjoyment.  I bought a hyosung GT650 specifically for that purpose.  My enjoyment machine will be a 50cc of some sort. 

"Being cold is the result of laziness" - Bunta Fujiwara

Current ride: Yamaha XT660Z Tenere.
    Gone: Piaggio MP3 400ie, too unreliable in the rain (think Italian electrics).

ScooterZine
  • 01-09-2008 06:24 PM In reply to

unfortuntely the city of perth cut down several years ago on scooter & motorbikes parking in even out of the way areas. There is fairly cheap parking available but it's well away from work & will still require public transport for the final leg of the trip. The parking closer is hideously expensive (over $20 a day & no cheaper for the two wheelers) and you gotta be in very early to get even that. Theres plenty of time to consider the options I guess. Wonder if I could put the scoot into one of those bike lockers down the Perth train station & how much that would cost :)
    Wanda
  • 01-09-2008 06:55 PM In reply to

ScootaNut:
    The parking closer is hideously expensive (over $20 a day & no cheaper for the two wheelers) and you gotta be in very early to get even that.

It annoys me that parking companies charge the same for a 2 wheeler as a car :(

As to your hideously expensive parking at over $20.00 a day,  try parking in Sydney city,  last time I parked the car in the city,  it cost me $56.00 and that was the early bird rate,  otherwise it would have been $65.00 for the day. 

Even in Sydney suburbs,  $20.00 per day would be considered cheap, especially compared with a parking ticket at $77.00.  

Thankfully free parking for the scoot in Sydney is not too hard to find,  although you cannot park on the footpath here like Melbourne.

Deklan 

• 01-09-2008 08:37 PM In reply to

• Gen X
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-28-2007
    • Fremantle
    • Posts 64

The new Bull Creek station has about 8-10 m/c and scooter spots very close to the entrance. I will be proudly parking my Vespa there soon (and then bolting it down to something heavy) when I move to the area in February.

Loving the Vespa GTSie 250
  • 01-10-2008 08:02 AM In reply to

• Keeper75
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Macarthur, NSW
    • Posts 627

I've parked my scooter at the train station a fair bit. I use a cable and lock through the rear wheel and something solid like a lightpost. I took up a car space as the one time I didn't I received a parking ticket. I never came back to find the scooter knocked over and taking up the carspace probably helped with this.

When I parked in a different carpark and I couldn't lock the scooter to anything I still put the cable lock through the rear wheel and frame soe it couldn't be easily wheeled away. I also parked next to a sprotsbike when I could. I wonder which one is going to be stolen first, a 150cc scooter or a 1000cc sportsbike?

At the end of it all if somebody really wants your scooter (or car) they'll take it. I've lifted my scooter into the back of a van a few times with the help of only one other person. If you park the Vespa at the station then make sure it is insured, just in case.

A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.
  • 01-10-2008 08:08 AM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

Ive always thought about leaving mine there, it's part of the reason I dont want to travel by train, as all day I would be wondering about my bike, and will I be returning to a damage or missing bike. 

Do any of you guys also use covers at the stations, as a few people have told me they believe they can be a deterrant.  You know what they cant see, doesn't interest them, kinda thing

2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 01-10-2008 10:00 AM In reply to

To my sadness, I saw a Vespa LX150 on its side at the Mosman wharf over Christmas. Look like some imbecile reversed into it and knocked it over, and pissed off with no note or anything. I like the idea of having a 'crap' scooter to leave at the station. I'm a bit precious at the moment of leaving my GT at the supermarket  in the motorbike parking. The GTS has an Immobilizer like the GT, so if they want it, they can take it, but its useless to them except for parts. Insurance is a must. 

• 01-10-2008 10:05 AM In reply to

dozer:

To my sadness, I saw a Vespa LX150 on its side at the Mosman wharf over Christmas. Look like some imbecile reversed into it and knocked it over, and pissed off with no note or anything. I like the idea of having a 'crap' scooter to leave at the station. I'm a bit precious at the moment of leaving my GT at the supermarket  in the motorbike parking. The GTS has an Immobilizer like the GT, so if they want it, they can take it, but its useless to them except for parts. Insurance is a must. 

Unfortunately I've seen that a few times,  although thankfully never a scooter only motorbikes.   Did you notice whether the centre stand was still in position ?

I've always avoided using the side stand as I figure it is way to easy to be knocked over if nudged on the side of the side stand .

Deklan 

• 01-10-2008 10:32 AM In reply to

It was not on any stand, all stands were retracted, so I gather it was on a side stand, and sprung back. I was thinking about putting it back onto its centre stand, but can you imaging if they walked up and saw me placing it up-rite, I'd get in strife as if it were my fault.

Page 1 of 3 (35 items) 1 2 3 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au