Scooter
Community

New owner so I'd really apprecaiate some advice on gear

Last post 03-16-2008 09:38 PM by WYSIWYG. 27 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-15-2008 09:30 AM

• Rosey
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-14-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 50

New owner so I'd really apprecaiate some advice on gear

Hi I've just bought my forst scooter (Mojito 150) and I'm loving it.  I'm wondering abpout security though as I live in inner western Syd.  It's parked off the street, but not garaged.  Is it worth installing an aftermarket alarm system?  Any recommendations and tips?  Also I'm thinking I need to get some wet weather gear.  Is there anything in particular I should know and look out for?  Thanks!

If you cant be good, be good at it.
  • 01-15-2008 10:10 AM In reply to

• Keeper75
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Macarthur, NSW
    • Posts 627

Re: New owner so I'd really apprecaiate some advice on gear

I think the best security is a cable lock around your scooter and something solid. Most scooters can be picked up by two people so locking it down I think is the best method of security.

A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.
  • 01-15-2008 10:22 AM In reply to

A lock for the disk brake, a cable for the scooter and a big gun to shoot anyone who attempts to rob you. Good luck with the Mojito, they are very nice. 

• 01-16-2008 12:39 PM In reply to

Secure it to something every time you park. Its way to easy to just lift a scoot into a van.

Also good protective gear is a must as even at slow speeds you can lose a lot of skin. If you have good protective gear normally you will only need wet weather pants.

Previously many road/trail bikes
    Honda Spacy , Scarabeo 200
    Hyundai Rally 100, Scarabeo 500
    MP3 250, Hyosung gv650
    Fuoco, Bonniville
    Piaggio Fly 125
    Scarabeo 500ie (2010)
    Piaggio Fly 150ie (2012)+
    Suzuki Boulevard M50
    http://www.coffeescoffer.com
    http://tastag.coffeescoffer.com (forum)
  • 01-16-2008 12:58 PM In reply to

Keeper75:

I think the best security is a cable lock around your scooter and something solid. Most scooters can be picked up by two people so locking it down I think is the best method of security.

Spot on make it too much hassle, they will steal something else

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 01-16-2008 01:05 PM In reply to

I live in Surry Hills and even when parked behind a locked gate out of sight  I still use my Disk Lock,  if I park in the street, then I use the cable lock as well to secure it to a lamp post,  parking sign etc.  

When "exposed"  in the street,  I now also leave my non-removable top box empty & unlocked.  I've had the top box broken into numerous times when parked in the street or even in a friends driveway,  and while I've been able to fix it myself each time,  it's a damn nuisance.

If you read scootanut's story about her broken down scoot getting stolen while she had walked to a local shop to get help,  it makes you realise how quickly a scoot can be stolen.

Deklan 

“It’s not the destination but the journey”
    Vespa GT200 in Grigio (Smokey Grey)

• 01-16-2008 01:26 PM In reply to

• Scott
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • Brisbane South
    • Posts 1,702

And remember the age old tip of "park beside a sports bike because it is more attractive to steal" Stick out tongue

Wife first, scooters and birds second.
    Got to remember that order......

The 125cc Bug Agility is rather ill, may be terminal so onto the Mighty Mio 100!
  • 01-16-2008 02:46 PM In reply to

IMHO you can't beat the cable lock system from Xena.  Big chunky cable, and the lock has an alarm in it.  Its all we sell now.  But the visibility aspect is very important - no point having something that the crook can't see, because they'll do damage BEFORE they work out that it has additional security on it.  That's why we don't recommend disk-brake locks by themselves (and because the scooter can still be picked up with one of them on it).

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 01-16-2008 03:22 PM In reply to

• Rosey
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-14-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 50

Just wanted to say thanks to all of you for the great advice so far.  Very much appreciated!
  • 01-16-2008 05:46 PM In reply to

steve@ace:

IMHO you can't beat the cable lock system from Xena.  Big chunky cable, and the lock has an alarm in it.  Its all we sell now.  But the visibility aspect is very important - no point having something that the crook can't see, because they'll do damage BEFORE they work out that it has additional security on it.  That's why we don't recommend disk-brake locks by themselves (and because the scooter can still be picked up with one of them on it).

I agree with you Steve, visible security is very important.  My disk lock is bright yellow and has a yellow reminder cord that runs from the disk lock to the handlebars and my Magnum Cable Lock has a very thick plastic covered cable with a sturdy locking mechanism.

I have to admit I had become a little lax about using the Cable Lock,  but ScootaNut's recent theft has reminded me how important it is to be vigilant at all times.

Deklan 

“It’s not the destination but the journey”
    Vespa GT200 in Grigio (Smokey Grey)

• 01-16-2008 05:56 PM In reply to

kiwiscoota:
    I have to admit I had become a little lax about using the Cable Lock,  but ScootaNut's recent theft has reminded me how important it is to be vigilant at all times.
    I agree Kiwi, its something you tent to relax about until it's bought to your attention. I remember once, I came out of the supermarket and had 2 bogan kids sitting on the old Aprilia M****o. I was mad that they thought that it was public seating.

• 01-17-2008 11:24 AM In reply to

• Rosey
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-14-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 50

I'm off to buy a Xena lock system today based on all the great feedback.  You lot are the gear!  Thanks again.  I was wondering too about that DataDot- it seems like a good idea.  Am I just obsessing?  Is it a good idea?

• 01-17-2008 11:30 AM In reply to

Insurance is a better idea I reckon, data dotted flogged out trashed scooter is no good compared to a payout. Just my opinion though. 

• 01-17-2008 11:42 AM In reply to

• Keeper75
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Macarthur, NSW
    • Posts 627

Insurance and cable lock, parked next to the sports bike where possible is what I do.

A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.
  • 01-17-2008 11:43 AM In reply to

• Scott
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • Brisbane South
    • Posts 1,702

dozer:

Insurance is a better idea I reckon, data dotted flogged out trashed scooter is no good compared to a payout. Just my opinion though. 

I agree, it may be a deterent but not to a joy riding scumbag and no good if the scoot ends up at the bottom of a river and you never see it again.

Wife first, scooters and birds second.
    Got to remember that order......

The 125cc Bug Agility is rather ill, may be terminal so onto the Mighty Mio 100!
Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au