Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
ScooterAccessories

Is moding worth it??

Last post 04-08-2009 07:35 AM by kog. 38 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (39 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-21-2008 02:46 PM

Is moding worth it??

Hi, I currently put a post up about moding a beewee and have spoken to a number of very helpful people, thank you.

However, I have heard from some that its not really worth it? Plus, it can cause high servicing and maintenace issues?

Is this true? Is it worth doing cos i really want a quicker scoot but love my beewee.

Thanks.

• 01-21-2008 03:11 PM In reply to

Re: Is moding worth it??

dallasf:

I have heard from some that its not really worth it? Plus, it can cause high servicing and maintenace issues?

Is this true? Is it worth doing cos i really want a quicker scoot but love my beewee

It's worth it if you are into personalising things & have realistic expectations. So long as you don't go silly with what you do you should be fine.

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 01-21-2008 04:53 PM In reply to

So, from the variator kit and the exhaust that you (scooter HQ) advised me about. Will the power be a whole lot more or only slightly more.

Sorry for the stupid questions.

• 01-21-2008 06:09 PM In reply to

dallasf:

So, from the variator kit and the exhaust that you (scooter HQ) advised me about. Will the power be a whole lot more or only slightly more.

Sorry for the stupid questions

It's about 15-20%. You do notice the difference all through the rev range.

Only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

www.scooterhq.com.au

• 01-21-2008 07:49 PM In reply to

• waxhead
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-17-2007
    • gold coast
    • Posts 882

Every time you ask for more power you are increasing the strain on your engine and thus parts will wear out quicker

But how much quicker depends on how much more strin you put them under

Is it worth it ??

Hell yes its fun

• 01-21-2008 08:46 PM In reply to

Moding scooters is another word for personalising, If you wish to modify ,then where is up to you,  I repair, service, and modify scooters every day and if done in the right areas the performance increases are very big indeed , just by moding the variator weights on my 250 honda I have taken 2 seconds off the 0 to 60k time this has increased my fuel economy because the amount of time at full throttle is reduced the performance gains are there in most scooters its a compromise for the manufacturer and not all standard settings fit all conditions , So seek the right advice and people and you wont look back.

• 01-21-2008 09:35 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

Just make sure it is done right and not half arsed

2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 01-21-2008 09:40 PM In reply to

• waxhead
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-17-2007
    • gold coast
    • Posts 882

No truer a word has been spoken

• 01-22-2008 09:43 AM In reply to

Ok, thanks for all this. Given me a little more confidence.

Well, i was just thinking of getting a variator kit and rollers plus an exhuast. Does this sound like the right thing to do?

I see kits for 125cc replacements but think that unnecassary.

I live in melbourne does anyone know of anyone that is good with mods?

• 01-22-2008 10:23 AM In reply to

• waxhead
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-17-2007
    • gold coast
    • Posts 882

Yes that will be a nice little wake up for your scooter

• 01-23-2008 12:37 PM In reply to

• 01-24-2008 02:10 PM In reply to

This is a polini unit, malossi also make one & there will be minor differences. BTW Polini also make a 9 roller variator for the BeeWee.

The Malossi Variator also comes with a new contra spring that elimantes the Lag on take off

www.scooterhq.com.au

• 04-22-2008 11:19 AM In reply to

• zuma
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2008
    • sydney`s beautiful northern beaches
    • Posts 92

hey all, new to this great site! does anyone know where to get a 125cc big bore kit for a beewee?

are there any beewee`ers around here that have done the big bore upgrade?

among other mods i`ll be fitting a sports pipe and have noticed on US sites that there are different aftermarket sports pipes

for scoots that have a big bore kit, so i`m thinking i`ll have to fit the performance pipe after increasing the capacity so that the

pipe will suit the motor? any idea`s?

• 04-22-2008 12:38 PM In reply to

Malossi do one for approx $390 that will take it out to 120cc using the standard crank. We've done a few BeeWee's/Aerox 100's & always do the pipe & variator first, people generally don't want or need anymore.

www.scooterhq.com.au

• 04-22-2008 01:54 PM In reply to

• zuma
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2008
    • sydney`s beautiful northern beaches
    • Posts 92

thanks for the info!

was a little concerned that a pipe tuned for 100cc would not be able to take full advantage of the capacity increase, i`d really like to have everything working in tuned harmony!

i`m also interested in getting some info on beewee carb mods or replacement, i`ve read that the 50cc US beewee (zuma) has the same 14?mm carb as our 100cc, so i`m wondering if a larger carb would be something that i should look into?

and then there`s the reed valve to ponder, surely there`s something i can do there!

apart from bling things, and variator etc, i`d also like to increase it`s final drive ratio in proportion to it`s performance gains so any info on doing this or anything above would be rad!

oh yeah,would changing the crank allow for a greater capacity increase?

Page 1 of 3 (39 items) 1 2 3 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au