Scooter
Community

Total Newbie Need help on what to buy

Last post 01-24-2008 09:10 PM by FreedomSeeker. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-23-2008 01:19 AM

Total Newbie Need help on what to buy

Im after my first bike I have $4000 maximum any less would be a bonus, it doesnt have to be new (near new would be ok)

I need to be able to cruise on freeway at 100km, but I dont want a big heavy scooter, the lighter more compact  the better.(Im pretty weak lol)

It must be good quality and totally reliable.

Im 6ft 2 and weigh 75kgs

I havent attempted to look at any scooters yet, I thought you riders could lead me in the right direction.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Simon

• 01-23-2008 02:06 AM In reply to

Re: Total Newbie Need help on what to buy

Simon

You have not mentioned whether you hold a full licence or where you live.

If you are a learner then you will be limited to 80 km/h,  if probationary then 90 km/h, so you would be a little limited trying to travel on freeways.

But generally if you are looking for a compact scoot,  you really need to try them for size as at 6' 2" some scoots will be too small for you to comfortably ride.

That said, you probably need to be looking at least a 125cc preferably 150cc or more for regular freeway work. 

In the up to $4000.00 including on road costs range there would be new Bolwell Arriba 125, Bolwell VS125, Bug Agility 125 and Piaggio Fly 125 (the Fly is probably too small for you),  if you were looking at late model used then the market would include various 150cc.

In used scooters, if you could find any of the following at your price with very low mileage they would be worthy of consideration:

Bolwell Arriba XS150,  Bolwell G-Max 150, Bolwell Euro 150, Bolwell HD200 (180cc), Bug Expresso 150cc,  Honda @125, Piaggio Liberty 125 or 150, Yamaha Vino 125 or Yamaha Cygnus 125.

I've not included Peugeot as I have no idea what their used prices are like,  but they would be over your price limit new.

Vespa would also be too expensive as even high mileage ones hold their price really well.

Deklan 

“It’s not the destination but the journey”
    Vespa GT200 in Grigio (Smokey Grey)

• 01-23-2008 08:12 AM In reply to

Kiwi summed it up pretty good (Are you scouting for a job in a scooter shop kiwi?)

As mentioned, 125cc would be the minimum you'd look at (with exception of a second hand Bolwell Mio, apparently they go nuts in speed).

You'd not go wrong with any of the suggestions Kiwiscoota has mentioned, but to put my icing on the cake, I'd take a close look at the VS125 and the Piaggio Fly, as those two are my personal favourites of the suggestions. The Bug Agility also is a very good scooter, but I'm about your height, and felt it was on the slightly tight side for fit and comfort for out gigantic stature. If you could get a second hand Bolwell HD200, you'd be rocking, and there are a few about. If you buy second hand Bolwell, ask about the remainder of the warranty, as if you get a recent one, you may still get the remainder of the 4 year warranty.

I just bought a second hand Vespa ET4 150cc with topbox (Givi) and chrome protection bars all around for $2500. It had 15,000km on it, but am assured that those types of KM's are not bad anyway, so there are bargains out there, so if you go second hand, shop around, and haggle like fxxk. I got $1000 off the $3500 asking price, thats close to 30% off!

Cheers, and good luck.

Oh, make sure you ride before you buy anything. 

• 01-23-2008 09:46 AM In reply to

dozer:
    Kiwi summed it up pretty good (Are you scouting for a job in a scooter shop kiwi?)

Hmmmmmmm now there's a thought Smile  I'm looking for a new job......

Deklan 

“It’s not the destination but the journey”
    Vespa GT200 in Grigio (Smokey Grey)

• 01-23-2008 09:55 AM In reply to

thanks for the advice, alot to choose from 

Im about to go for learners :o)  Im in Melbourne.

Well I dont know how often ill be on the freeways, this venture is purely for weekend fun, I have a car. but I thought it would be a pain not being able to ride on freeways because my scooter is too slow.

Sounds like the 150 would be the way to go,

Would the 125s eg the new Bolwell vs125 which everyone here seems to love, struggle to cruise at 100km?

Also whats the difference between the Arriba 125 and the Bolwell vs 125?

• 01-24-2008 11:26 AM In reply to

FreedomSeeker:

Well I dont know how often ill be on the freeways, this venture is purely for weekend fun, I have a car.

Hehehe!  That's how it starts!  But just you wait!  

Personally wouldn't recommend a 125cc for cruising at freeway speeds.  100kmh is toward their flat out limit which isn't good for 4-strokes to be running at for extended periods. Short distances/times ok - but more than 5-10 minutes and I'd be looking for alternative (and much more fun) routes.

For freeway cruising then Doze hit it on the head - entry level is probably the Bolwell HD200 which is currently just short of 5k rideaway.  And a great scooter it is too, so if you can find a second hand one, then you should be laughing.

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 01-24-2008 01:08 PM In reply to

Steve is on the money.

Only want to add that a good 125cc will do 100km/h to 110km/h (real speed not what the lying speedo says) most 125cc are flat out between 80 & 100km/h. A bad 150cc will do 80-90km/h so be careful of what you buy.

One thing some buyers do is make the decision harder/more expensive by looking for a scoot for around town then add it must be able to cruise the highways at 100km/h even though it probably will never end up on one. So buy something that caters for the majority of your riding not the one off run to visit the relatives from Outerkangawallafox.

Only a few 125's are capable of holding over 100. If you want it for regular highway work then you have to go something like HD200,

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 01-24-2008 09:08 PM In reply to

[quote user=steve@ace]

Hehe!  That's how it starts!  But just you wait!  

lol Im sure you are right, I feel it will become addictive!

Il check out the Bolwell HD200 as well.

Thanks very much

Simon

• 01-24-2008 09:10 PM In reply to

oops sorry for that quote error :o(

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au