ADVERTISEMENT

Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT

Listening to music whilst riding - is it recommended?

Last post 04-02-2008 08:46 PM by Dakoda. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-27-2008 09:10 AM

• chris
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-23-2007
    • Mackay
    • Posts 28

Listening to music whilst riding - is it recommended?

Another question for the members here. As you all know I am new to scootering so I have very little road experience at this time. One of the purported cons is that one can not listen to music properly (or anything per se for that matter whilst riding). I am aware however that some bike riders and scooterists do listen to music, MP3's etc via headphones whilst riding. Is this safe to do, or is it just an experience thing? I have been told that one shouldn't as you may not hear that "horn" etc, and given that a helmet cuts out most noise etc, one must be alert.
    I am not smart enough to have a signature yet, but will try and think one up
  • 01-27-2008 12:46 PM In reply to

Re: Listening to music whilst riding - is it recommended?

I'd love to ride to work and listen to my iPod at the same time but I'm certainly not keen from a safety perspective. I'd seriously give it a miss, it's very dangerous... instead you could listen to your scoot screaming at the top of it's lungs :)
    Vespa PX200 "Killer Wasp" - now on a street near you
  • 01-27-2008 12:48 PM In reply to

• crinos
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-23-2008
    • Hobart
    • Posts 124

chris:
    Another question for the members here. As you all know I am new to scootering so I have very little road experience at this time. One of the purported cons is that one can not listen to music properly (or anything per se for that matter whilst riding). I am aware however that some bike riders and scooterists do listen to music, MP3's etc via headphones whilst riding. Is this safe to do, or is it just an experience thing? I have been told that one shouldn't as you may not hear that "horn" etc, and given that a helmet cuts out most noise etc, one must be alert.

Listening to music would be a terrible idea... it's dangerous enough dealing with all the moron drivers as it is, without crippling one of your senses and adding a major distraction.

My scooter: none :(
    My bike: Honda VTR250 :)
    Wife's scooter: Honda Today 50 :D
  • 01-27-2008 01:58 PM In reply to

I don't do it all the time, and don't have the music so loud that i can't hear whats going on around me. Personally I don't find it any different than cranking the cd player in the car.

I think its one of those personal preference things. sure it may be a major distraction to some, but I don't see it as a problem, particularly on long rides when i'm more alert with that extra noise. It's much better than the drone of the engine on a long ride.

Riding a Suzuki V-Strom 650 and selling the Derbi GP1-250 - PLEASE BUY IT!!!!!!!

• 01-27-2008 04:52 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,370

Did it heaps when ridng to work in Isa, but not in Brisbane.  Mainly use my husband steals my ipod as well.  But found it hard keeping the headphone in my ears as well

2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 01-27-2008 05:54 PM In reply to

Dangerous it is, but I am guilty of doing it. I used the ipod headphones under the helmet, but do know that Nolam make the N-Com system that works with your bluetooth mobile, or van be wired via its optional multimedia cable to your MP3 player. I am waiting for the iPhone, as the iPods dont have bluetooth yet. This way, I will have connection to the mobile, and music. 

• 01-27-2008 07:51 PM In reply to

shame on you all! (now where did I put my ipod earphones, god they're aweful, but the'll fit under my Nolan) *laugh*
  • 01-27-2008 08:02 PM In reply to

JimmyLee77:
    shame on you all! (now where did I put my ipod earphones, god they're aweful, but the'll fit under my Nolan) *laugh*

Tubsta has gone to the massive effort to get his earphones molded to his ears. He highly recommends them, and no doubt will post here shortly. iPod headphones seem to make my ears hurt after about an hour, but I think I may get the speaker system added to my helmet.

• 01-27-2008 10:13 PM In reply to

Pretty sure its not legal....  but then, I have been guilty of it myself!

Pit crew and back seat biatch for the misses's Monza and Milan...
    My ride - a sweet '84 XV750 (when not runnin round town on the scoot)
  • 01-27-2008 11:47 PM In reply to

dozer:

JimmyLee77:

Tubsta has gone to the massive effort to get his earphones molded to his ears. He highly recommends them, and no doubt will post here shortly. iPod headphones seem to make my ears hurt after about an hour, but I think I may get the speaker system added to my helmet.

If you threw away those rubbish iPod earphones and bought some decent quality ones,  you would solve your problem.Smile

I listen to my Sony Ericsson Phone/MP3 player while riding long distances, it has a 4 gig memory card so it holds a reasonable amount of music,  I use Sennheiser earphones. 

Deklan 

“It’s not the destination but the journey”
    Vespa GT200 in Grigio (Smokey Grey)

• 01-28-2008 01:43 PM In reply to

kiwiscoota:

If you threw away those rubbish iPod earphones and bought some decent quality ones,  you would solve your problem.Smile

I listen to my Sony Ericsson Phone/MP3 player while riding long distances, it has a 4 gig memory card so it holds a reasonable amount of music,  I use Sennheiser earphones. 

nice, I have some Sennheiser PX-200's, I love them. I've never used the ipod earphones. :)

• 01-28-2008 02:08 PM In reply to

You need a PX200 Vespa for your PX200 Sennheiser's hehehe

• 01-28-2008 05:06 PM In reply to

I found this on MRAA's website concerning hearing. Surely headphones doesn't sound too bad if MRAA is recommending ear plugs...........

http://safety.mraa.org.au/cms/index.php?page=Hearing

Hearing

Hearing Protection

This is more for your personal health than anything or if you like hearing. Tinnitus is a ringing of the ears after the ear is exposed to damaging noise levels. Over time this can cause permanent damage to the inner ear. When riding the pipes are not the biggest issue it's the wind following over you and the motorcycle. Once your speed exceeds 60 kph the wind noise generated become the primary noise. This wind noise can exceed 90 decibels with a full faced helmet. OHS (Occupational Health & Safety) requires employers to provide hearing protection to it's employees if levels of noise reaches 85 decibels.

Ear plugs can reduce this damaging noise level as well as on long rides help reduce fatigue. There are several types of ear plugs available, from the molded type to the foam type that you throw away. Find something  that comfortable and see if you do not feel better after the next ride.

Yamaha Vino 125
  • 01-28-2008 07:13 PM In reply to

• Tubsta
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-22-2007
    • Secret Test Track, South Gippsland, Australia
    • Posts 1,192

When doing any more than 30 min of riding, I use Earmold plugs to reduce the noise and to listen to my iPod.  Near misses occur without using earplugs as well, L plater nearly took me out at 100km/h yesterday, no ear plugs then (mind you, no indicator or horn was used, they were cutting back into my lane).

Using ear plugs helps reduce the stress of loud helmet noise at high speed (I do big km's weekly).  Even if you didn't wear plugs, the wind noise blocks out noises so you are less likely to hear squat.

With the molded ear plugs, I can play the music at a very low level and can hear traffic noise, it basically only blocks the wind noise which is good.

Personally, I think cages driving around in the sound proof cars with even the stereo turned down low, has less knowledge of what is going on around them than a scooterist/motorcyclist has with the molded earplug and speaker setup.

Each to their own really, but after doing 1400km in a day on a motorcycle and your ears are ringing for week afterwards, I know which option I will take every time.  You only get one set of ears.

"Being cold is the result of laziness" - Bunta Fujiwara

Current ride: Yamaha XT660Z Tenere.
    Gone: Piaggio MP3 400ie, too unreliable in the rain (think Italian electrics).

ScooterZine
  • 01-29-2008 08:48 AM In reply to

• Denni
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Gold Coast
    • Posts 994

About a year ago I purchased the Scala-rider FM, this enables me to listen to the radio and it's bluetooth for my phone. The two speakers fit in behind the padding in your helmet (no need for earplugs) and a microphone comes around the front. It can be fitted to both open and full face helmets. Once fitted you only need to unclip the small control panel to charge it, will last about a week between charges and it's waterproof.

Trusty 'Beo has found a new home.
    New adventures on the BMW 650.

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au