Scooter
Community

Will Scooters Become as popular as we want them to

Last post 07-09-2009 11:28 PM by 404phil. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-30-2008 10:12 AM

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

Will Scooters Become as popular as we want them to

Will Scooters become increasingly popular over the next two years

• Yes - Scooters will continue to increase in sales , very rapidly over the next two years (23.6%)
    • Yes - I know heaps of people that are getting a scooter, its going to boom (15.3%)
    • Yes - Of Course soon everybody will see the benifits but it will take longer then two years (33.3%)
    • Yes - But only when Governements take notice, needs immediate action (11.1%)
    • No - Scooters will stay in the minority, most see them as dangerous (13.9%)
    • No - the scooter boom has ended, there will be no boom (2.8%)
    • Total Votes: 72
    Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 01-30-2008 11:03 AM In reply to

Re: Will Scooters Become as popular as we want them to

with the increasing price of fuel, and the cost comparison of scooter / car, it will become more and more popular.

I worked out I can save over $4k a year riding a scooter to work and back compared to driving the car I sold to buy a scooter to work and back. (~$3k fuel, $1k parking, rego, servicing, etc) 

Vespa PX200 "Killer Wasp" - now on a street near you
  • 01-30-2008 11:17 AM In reply to

I can see the same thing happening as what happened in the UK about 10 years ago. Fuel prices went through the roof and from a finacial point of veiw people were forced to look for cheaper means of transport. Scooters boomed big time and you ended up with a new culture of non-motorcycle riders riding bikes and scooters because 1 it was much cheaper than a car and 2 they could half the time it took to get to and from work in the car as well. Two wheel transport is the future.

• 01-30-2008 11:19 AM In reply to

PS. Thats a very big shiney scooter banner ad at the top of the page. Has anyone bothered to click on it yet to see where it goes to?

• 01-30-2008 12:46 PM In reply to

• Keeper75
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Macarthur, NSW
    • Posts 627

JimmyLee77:
    I worked out I can save over $4k a year riding a scooter to work and back compared to driving the car I sold to buy a scooter to work and back. (~$3k fuel, $1k parking, rego, servicing, etc)

And that's just the running costs. The depreciation is considerably less on a scooter because you don't spend anywhere near as much in the first place.

$4,000 annually gets you a case of Boags and a few bottles of wine each week :-)

A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.
  • 01-30-2008 01:27 PM In reply to

The amount of money I save is huge, and the plan is to make the wife ride one every day to work also. We should seriously save about $4000 a year. Now I have money for a drug habit, hehehe

• 01-30-2008 02:53 PM In reply to

Keeper75:

$4,000 annually gets you a case of Boags and a few bottles of wine each week :-)

How many interest rate rises does that negate?

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 01-30-2008 05:45 PM In reply to

• Scott
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • Brisbane South
    • Posts 1,702

I think that the days of the 2 car family are short and numbered as people realise that you can get by with the one vehicle and a scoot.  And the savings are real! I can stick $40 in the bike jacket pocket after getting paid and it will last me the month for petrol until next pay.  Over 1200km.  I was paying that every week in the car.

Public transport is next to useless and costs almost as much as running a car, however that is not including parking if required!

As the price of petrol continues to rise people will take more notice.  We have all said before, it is great standing in line to pay at the petrol station and they are all racking up $40, $50, $100 and you reach over and pay with change or a $5 note!  Priceless and they do take notice Big Smile

Wife first, scooters and birds second.
    Got to remember that order......

The 125cc Bug Agility is rather ill, may be terminal so onto the Mighty Mio 100!
  • 01-30-2008 08:14 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

dozer:

The amount of money I save is huge, and the plan is to make the wife ride one every day to work also. We should seriously save about $4000 a year. Now I have money for a drug habit, hehehe

Sniffing Fuel drug habit?
    2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 01-30-2008 08:30 PM In reply to

• miketl
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-08-2007
    • Kingston, Southern Tassie
    • Posts 755

Although there is a definite increase in the number of scooters seen on Tassie roads over the "warmer" months, both the narrow, windy roads and the somewhat nasty winter rains tend to thin out the number of "committed" commuter riders around the Apple Isle.  Also, in my brief time on the road here I've been alarmed at the negative attitude of a number of motorists towards a scooter rider.  Even though I keep to the speed limit and take off smartly from intersections, I'm often tailgated and given a rousing cheer when I turn off onto a side street.  So I guess what I'm saying is that increase in popularity will come about a little slower down south.

Mike

Riding an 08 Vespa PX 200, and a 2012 Harley Sportster 883 Superlow
    previously big red Audrey an Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie, an Aprilia Scarabeo 200, and originally a Suzuki F50 Step-through
  • 01-30-2008 11:24 PM In reply to

There seems to be a common misconception amongst some people, even amongst the motorcyclists, that all scooters are 10" wheeled, 2 stroke, 50cc, slower than a wet week motorcycle wannabes that shouldn't be on the road. Perhaps if there was a concerted compaign to change that attitude things might pick up a bit.

Even riding a 125cc & keeping up with traffic, even if they're speeding, I'm constantly amazed at the lengths people will go to in order to get infront. I have to admit that I have developed the habit of sticking perhaps a little too close to the car infront just to avoid situations where people cut infront & then hit the brake to take a left.

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 01-31-2008 01:05 AM In reply to

Yes, some good comments there indeed. I believe there are more scooters on the road than what there was a year ago but it will take more than 2 years to really see a lot more of them (in Melbourne anyway). By then the fuel prices, interest rates and general cost of living will have forced people to purchase scoots or alternative transport. The majority of the general public don't believe scooters are any bigger than 125cc and that most are 50cc. People look very surprised when I pass them on the freeway at 120km/h. I still have many family and friends question why I ride a scooter and that I should get a real motorcycle. My reply is this, "You cannot compare the practicality, storage, ease, comfortability and fun of riding a scooter to a traditional motorcycle or even sports bike."
  • 01-31-2008 12:36 PM In reply to

G-SCOOTA:
    I still have many family and friends question why I ride a scooter and that I should get a real motorcycle. My reply is this, "You cannot compare the practicality, storage, ease, comfortability and fun of riding a scooter to a traditional motorcycle or even sports bike

Road motorcycles start to be fun at illegal speeds, scooters are fun at legal speeds. A customer who collects motorcycles said to me the other day "I get the same buzz out of fanging my scoot around town as I do on a big bike through the hills, around town is the scooters home" But he grew up in Europe.

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 02-01-2008 12:19 AM In reply to

yes, interesting point - agreed. To get the most fun out of my sports bike, I had to do a minimum of 150km/h or be on the back wheel. Dangerous and crazy stuff.
  • 03-16-2009 01:28 PM In reply to

• kog
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-15-2009
    • kingston, QLD
    • Posts 111

This is one of the main reasons/reasoning as to why i purchased my scoot last week... dont need 2 cars... why pay all the extra costs for a car when really the scooter is more than adequate for the task.

Filled my scoot for the first time at the servo today... $3.45... a few squirts of the pump at it was full Cool

Vmoto Matrix 06 blue 794AR Stolen.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au