Scooter
Community

Scooter racing - Kart track Willowbank 9th Feb

Last post 02-15-2008 10:55 PM by K-star. 54 replies.
Page 3 of 4 (55 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-11-2008 09:08 AM In reply to

• R1hoon
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-02-2007
    • Brisbane
    • Posts 439

Re: Scooter racing - The Motorcycle sportsmen - Kart track Willowbank 9th Feb

K-star:
    did the scrutineer chappy tell you about lockwiring the front caliper bolts?

Yup they're getting picky with the reg's now - the front caliper mounting bolts should be lockwired, I havent done it on my race motard and they haven't picked it up in the scruitneerings and it's been passed with no mention.

Here's a picture of what to do.

I was going to write a witty and clever comment here, then thought "naa screw it" -- I'm just gunna be a smart a$$.
  • 02-11-2008 09:11 AM In reply to

• R1hoon
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-02-2007
    • Brisbane
    • Posts 439

AND Rob, the address of Phil at Highside leathers is 20 Cripps St Salisbury.

I was going to write a witty and clever comment here, then thought "naa screw it" -- I'm just gunna be a smart a$$.
  • 02-11-2008 10:40 AM In reply to

Thanks for that, Paul.   I've got hex head screws securing the brake (as prolly many do) & am not too comfy with the notion of weakening the screw by drilling through the head   Wondered if tab washer-plate is acceptable.

TY for the addy.  Big Smile

• 02-11-2008 11:33 AM In reply to

• R1hoon
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-02-2007
    • Brisbane
    • Posts 439

Don't worry about drilling them, a 1 to1.5mm drill hole doesn't hurt them at all. (tabplates are a no-go for scruiteering)

Have a look at this guys guide to lockwiring - he goes a bit overboard and lockwires EVERYTHING - his underpants are probibly lockwired on too....But is has good examples.

http://www.rc51.org/wire1.htm 

• 02-11-2008 02:09 PM In reply to

R1hoon:
    his underpants are probibly lockwired on too

Ha Ha!! I wonder what's he's got it lockwired too......LOL!!!! Ouch!!! Weren't we talking about negative terminals?????

Good little guide. Thanks, Paul!!!  Might get one of the wiring pliers too. 

Rob I'm going to try and make up a little trolley setup for wheeling our poop across to the pits.  Also Here's another little tip ( I just wonder how I could adapt it for you to have in the pits.)  When you use a vacuum cleaner, think about wearing some mesh top sneakers/sports shoes or even socks work ok. Now when you think you're feet are heating up, place the end of the vacuum head on your toes or somewhere on an area where it can still draw air through and not block up. Now feel how cool the air is that is being drawn past your toes.... Almost Icy.  Sucking air is much cooler than trying to blow air (or at least more effective) So if I can rig up away to plug you in between races, You'll be looking like an astronaut in no time.

An Alternative is what's called an Ice vest or chilly vest (depending on who makes it.)  You soak it over night then place it in your chilly bin on way to track and then pop it on just before the race.  The gel like crystals soak up and hold the water to really cool you down.

Couple of options. there!!!

Ya just can't beat having a good tinker.....
  • 02-11-2008 02:38 PM In reply to

• R1hoon
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-02-2007
    • Brisbane
    • Posts 439

K-star:
    Might get one of the wiring pliers

I've got a pair of lockwiring pliers, You can borrow mine if you want, instead of buying some.

• 02-11-2008 06:36 PM In reply to

Huh?  Erm....thanks for the ideas.  Stick out tongue
  • 02-11-2008 07:31 PM In reply to

Thanks to everybody out there a pleasure to race with you, Kstar after watching the videos your speed into turn one was very quick, I will bring out my collection of weights and the scales for weighing them and we can set up your variator, if you get tyres i will fit them for free just let me no when and any other work its on me if this helps.Rob and Shel great riding and a pleasure as always lots of laughs and it truly was smiles per hour all day, hope that the monaco is easier for you shel and you are back out there next meeting.

My handle bars are scrap a grip also and other than that it looks ok so far.My wife and I went for a ride yesterday and 348ks later we were home so a great weekend it has been then back to work today ..um yes... i will also have to lock wire the caliper bolts and replace a few things that look bent sadly nothing can be done for the rider i will now save my pennys for next month.Thanks to sportsmans and the great people i raced with.

• 02-11-2008 09:29 PM In reply to

Next time racing we'd better submit a sheet of info about our bikes & others' bikes to the commentator.

Maybe the general consensus on Jason's bike will be "fully sic modded 70"  Big Smile

• 02-12-2008 02:00 AM In reply to

Thanks J!!! The yellow bug has so much grip. The sweeper at the top coming round to the pits is my favourite flatout section though. Depending on what line you've taken through that 1st sweeper you can still have enough time to get back on the gas and drive hard into the tight right.

jtyphoon:
    I will bring out my collection of weights and the scales for weighing them and we can set up your variator, if you get tyres i will fit them for free just let me no when and any other work its on me if this helps.

That would be awesome, Thanks so much for the offer. But I want to ride the Bug with Rob till the end of this season as the last couple of races were so awesome, right up his bum hoping he'd make a booboo but he's a crafty fox is Rob.  Shut the door on me a few times which is cool as I wasn't up past his "B" pillar, it kept making me laugh though. Awesome.....  But in regards to the Assist, I'd like to try that bore kit you told me about as well.  Do the suspension, transmission, tyres and keep everything else stock.  I've always liked the look of your typhoon and it's colours and would like to repaint it once all the work is done to turn it into a real race/track scoot. (deregister it as well)  So if scooter life (servicing) would like another race scooter to fly the Blue & Black, I'd be happy to oblige....It's already blue and black just maybe not the right blue. Easily fixed!!!!!

COME ONE 8th March!!!

• 02-12-2008 01:37 PM In reply to

Not a problem KSTAR if you are going to run the bandit i may have to put the 50cc barrel back on and run with you and rob, i dont think there will be bikes in our class next time so it will be great to race with you guys, I may try a BUG VIBE AS WELL  lets hope we get a few more next time.

• 02-12-2008 04:39 PM In reply to

I'd like to hope that there is a greater number of us on the next rounds.  or at least in the next season starting at end of year so that we can run two seperate races for the 2 classes as I'd like to have a Bug Vibe myself  and run that in the 50cc class then quickly swap bikes in the pits to run in the over 50s class.

WhooooooHooooo!

• 02-13-2008 12:08 PM In reply to

R1hoon:

AND Rob, the address of Phil at Highside leathers is 20 Cripps St Salisbury.

If you thinking of coming down, Give us a bell and I could meet up with you to show you where it is if you want.

Rob the Rocket:
    Huh?  Erm....thanks for the ideas.  Stick out tongue  
      LOL!!!!   Ummm i was being serious sort of......  The chilly vest is not a bad idea as you could wear it riding but the vaccy?????  Dunno if it would work trailling an extension cord around the track.....LMAO!!!

• 02-13-2008 08:40 PM In reply to

How about hacking into the scoot's elec supply & having a powered mist spray???  Storm .....EH !...better not, might make the track slippery.

The pics are up on http://www.osella.com.au/wayne/youngstars%2Dfeb/  There are some towards the beginning & the rest are 9/10 towards the back.  

Paul's front tyre looked well spread, & Jason's the least.  Have ya seen the tyre action with the Motards.....now there's some serious tyre flexing going on.

• 02-13-2008 09:38 PM In reply to

Grrr! Devil  Looking at those images etc makes me want to go racing right now  Devil

Next Track Night is on Mon 3rd.  Will u be there, K-Star?  I will.

What about doing a Track Night immediately after the Race on the 8th?......will be a mega day & night out, but.....but, ......but....it's sooooooooo much fun.  Cake

Page 3 of 4 (55 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au