Scooter
Community

yamaha jog/Aerox modification

Last post 08-11-2013 05:32 PM by Louie. 109 replies.
Page 1 of 8 (110 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-14-2008 07:37 PM

• bpt4w
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2008
    • Posts 69

yamaha jog/Aerox modification

name change due to move to a Aerox but the mods are still exchangeable with each other up to a point. 

ok this being my first post even on this board so i say HI :) , now down to buiseness. I have a 2006 yamaha jog i just bought and i am currently happy with , but knowing me and my past (10 yrs mechanic, race cars/bikes modification) i do think i will be doing something in the future :) (its a disease i know) , so i have only had it a week and already i have got the aftermarket exhaust on order and the variator kit as well from road rocket (im not sure if they are known , only one i could find in oz) and after bit of research i seem to be plodding in fairly virgin territory with modding a jog (not totally but i don't see many on the web). Anyway back to the question i have been to a few work shops and asked about modding a scooter and even argued with a guy about aftermarket exhausts being fitted at his shop (he said he would not fit illegal exhausts , while in the background i could see one of his mechanics fitting a exhaust to a ducati ) so what is the big thing in OZ about modification of a scooter as apposed to a bike ?  

• 02-14-2008 10:20 PM In reply to

Re: yamaha jog modification

Something to do with LA regs...................just tell 'em it's for track racing & you're gonna de-register the bike.  Geeked

• 02-14-2008 11:44 PM In reply to

• bpt4w
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2008
    • Posts 69

think it was more of a , thats not a real bike type of thing or you can't make it go any faster it will fall to bits attitued, as far as i can see a there is a lot of resistance to scooters on australian roads and they are viewed more as a annoyance to go round than a fun and cheap way to get to work. I can see the reason why due to the number of very cheap chinese copies selling at the moment which are lucky to do 40 kph , which are bought by inexperienced car drivers (inexperienced in motorbikes) who ride these scooters on the very edge of the road or close to it and car drivers see a huge gap and say i will just slide by and almost drive the scooter off the road.

mmm this is not a discussion about attitudes so i will end it up here .

i am looking forward to the process of making a fairly ordinary scooter into a fairly standard looking scooter :) which just blew the doors of ya v8. 

• 02-15-2008 12:14 PM In reply to

• bpt4w
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2008
    • Posts 69

k another question about tyres, can you get decent sports tyres for 10 inch wheels ?

• 02-15-2008 01:22 PM In reply to

Sure can Continental do a twist in race compound for 10" wheels. With your Jog check the CDI if it's got 8 wires it's going to be very expensive to make it go , if its got 5 or 6 wires then you are OK.

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 02-15-2008 05:58 PM In reply to

• bpt4w
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2008
    • Posts 69

ah thanks for the info, will have to see if i can get some sent up here to townsville. With the cdi what is the diffrence if you dont' mind me asking.

• 02-16-2008 01:15 PM In reply to

Old one you'd cut a wire new one requires a complete replacement CDI if you can find one.

www.scooterhq.com.au

• 02-17-2008 07:50 PM In reply to

• bpt4w
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2008
    • Posts 69

were is the cdi on a yamaha jog, is it still up front like the older versions

• 02-18-2008 06:24 PM In reply to

• bpt4w
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2008
    • Posts 69

this is a site i found that has a few minor mods for the jog

http://blarg.aaronpropst.com/taxonomy/term/34

and after looking inside at the big black box i have a 8 wire cdi

and after looking round found these guys still sell the cdi for these

http://shop.genesis-ec.com/search/result.asp?shopcd=07052&itemgrp1cd=01&itemgrp2cd=1052

now to find out how to get it here . 

• 02-25-2008 01:22 PM In reply to

• bpt4w
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2008
    • Posts 69

k with a bit of testing i have found my scooter goes to 75kph and being my first scooter i did not know this was not supposed to be possible (bought the scooter at the auctions for 1000 bucks) and here i was trying to get it all modded up. Did a bit of investigation and apparently the previous owner worked at a car engineering shop in mackay qld and had a mod done to the govenor which cost $20 . i have looked at the exhaust pipe and i don't see a restricter there (maybe removed previously) and other than that its standard.

TEST DRIVE THOUGHTS

k never owning one i don't know if this is usual.

take off is a bit two stageish , you gun the throttle and it buzzes away for a few meters then it seems to hit second gear and go

mid range 30-60 is pretty quick i would say in the 3 sec range (hey it beats most of the 4wd owners)

top end 60-75 this is a bit slower and takes time to wind right out

now after reading a few carb tuning bit in the downloads area i think im out of tune , since the diffrence from cold (just started)to hot is dramatic in pwr or should i say take off from the lights warm is slower.

so has anyone got any tips for tuning up carbs and maybe a diagram to get to the damn thing (damn there is a lot of panels on these scooters)

• 03-06-2008 09:42 PM In reply to

Thats a fast jog!! Mine gets to around 58kmh before the cdi limiter kicks in. I believe my 2006 jog was derestricted by the dealer although you are never sure. There doesnt appear to be any restrictor in the exhaust. I tried removing the variator washer ( a very thin one at that) and it did pick up to around 63kmh but acceleration was poor. Would love to know what has been done to yours! I am thinking something to do with gearing if yours gets to 75kmh before CDI kicks in.

Re the cold /hot running - mine is exactly the same - seems quite fast when cold then sluggish when warm. So does my Piaggio NRG. Would be nice to retain that crispness you feel when its cold. As you say, it might well be a cold start thing, ie choke type mechanism?? These things must like running rich.

I have been looking for these CDI's - a mob in New Zealand used to stock them?

• 03-13-2008 01:26 PM In reply to

• bpt4w
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2008
    • Posts 69

yes one of those c.f.posh cdi's would be nice for moding the jog,

K i have bit the bullet and ordered a exhaust/variator kit from scooter HQ to pick up the take off and mid range and i will get the yamaha shop to fit and tune it up . Since here in townsville there a hell of a lot of scooters (if not as many as gold coast ,bloody close) the yamaha dealer has been asking me to drop the bike off to find out what has been done to it to get it to go like it does , since they too sell bits for scooters but mainly for the aerox (have bits on the shelf and all) and hopefully we will find out why it can go that fast.

have noticed that if you put 95 octane in instead of 98 it really struggles to make 65 and doesn't rev as high

P.S the exhaust is a benelli GO exhaust, to prevent intresting looks from the police who already look at me funny when i keep up with traffic flow and to raise the bottom/mid range pwr for better pick up.

• 03-18-2008 11:03 AM In reply to

Cut a wire?   Don't need too cut anything with an older Jog, just unplug the Red wire and hey presto no more 60k limiter!

Although running without it plugged in the Scooter seems a bit different below 60, still will go looking at a different CDI once I've installed the big bore kit :D

• 03-18-2008 01:31 PM In reply to

MacGillaZ:
    Cut a wire?

Figuratively speaking not literally

www.scooterhq.com.au

• 03-18-2008 10:52 PM In reply to

HI guys,

Just found this site and read your posts. I have a 2006 Jog and have bombed the living crap out of it. I used to live in Japan and have mates that send me the go fast parts.

I currently have a Daytona 70cc big bore kit fitted with a 22mm Dellorto carb with new intake manifold, Leo Vinci pipe, uni air filter, NGK Iridium plug, racing variator, high speed gears, Posh Racing CDI, big reed valve, performance cooling fan, kevlar belt, and just to top it off, a Kitaco 120kmh speedo.

With the stock tiny carb, I re-jetted it and could get the thing up to 95kmh and with the new carb (which I just got and am having a bit of trouble setting it up right) I hope to get it WAY over 100kmh.

Needless to say, I have stuck every friggin go fast part on this thing so if you have any questions about certain parts, feel free to send me a post.

Scott

Page 1 of 8 (110 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au