Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
ScooterAccessories

Stuck at the lights.

Last post 09-26-2010 02:39 PM by hcrun. 25 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-18-2008 09:15 PM In reply to

• Keeper75
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Macarthur, NSW
    • Posts 627

Re: Stuck at the lights.

sodarocks:
    Also as a new rider it is so hard for me to work out where the oil drops are

They are down the centre of the lane and more concentrated at traffic lights and near bumps. If the road surface is good you can ride in the right wheel path of where a car would be. This means you are not letting car push by you in your own lane and the car tyres are doing some of the work in cleaning the road surface a little. It's not perfect but where you position yourself in the lane is important and depends on different things at different times. Good rider training should cover lane positioning.

A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.
  • 02-19-2008 10:14 AM In reply to

• Pegasus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-18-2007
    • Kingsley, Perth. WA
    • Posts 1,041

I ride a Piaggio X8 250cc which is a fairly heavy scooter and I regularly go through an intersection in Main Street where it happens even on my heavier scooter.

If I'm the only one approaching the intersection I go down the middle and sort of zig-zag the last 2 metres before I stop. That seems to cure the problem.

Thanks for the tip of the number on the traffic light box. That hadn't even occurred to me. 

Ride safely everyone.
    Piaggio X8 250ie
    38,000km
  • 09-24-2010 08:55 PM In reply to

found another scooter un-friendly intersection. In Freo on Queen St. 10m or so from Frank's The Scooter Shop. The first set of lights after the bridge, turning right heading towards the markets. Mate & I had to wave a cager forward to trigger the lights, after watching the lights cycle a couple of times without giving us the green arrow, but not surprisingly she was unwilling after cutting across two lines of traffic to get in the filter lane, almost wiping us both out just to try to get infront of the "bloody scooter" riders. it took some encouragement for her to move forward & trigger the lights. She did it eventually.

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 09-24-2010 10:35 PM In reply to

• niks
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-22-2009
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 1,114

If you glue a powerfull magnet to the underside of your scooter so it wont come off if you hit a big bump, you will find that this will activate the sensor.Yes

Majesty YP 250 plus. "the way to go".
  • 09-24-2010 11:04 PM In reply to

niks:

If you glue a powerfull magnet to the underside of your scooter so it wont come off if you hit a big bump, you will find that this will activate the sensor.Yes

No it won't. Read all about it: http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=16531

• 09-24-2010 11:51 PM In reply to

• TRA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-09-2010
    • Posts 302

niks:

Nope, the sensors are an inductive loop. They are a single wire loop in the road and to change the inductance of the loop you need a big chunk of ferrous material. Think of its as a large metal detector.

• 09-25-2010 12:23 AM In reply to

• 09-26-2010 07:31 AM In reply to

• hcrun
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2010
    • Canberra
    • Posts 431

Notice how the d***head demonstrating the use of the magnets (in the video) is wearing all his PPE......shorts, sneakers, T-shirt and hair. Confused

Mid-life went past too quickly so I'm having a late-life crisis.
  • 09-26-2010 11:30 AM In reply to

• niks
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-22-2009
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 1,114

hcrun:

Notice how the d***head demonstrating the use of the magnets (in the video) is wearing all his PPE......shorts, sneakers, T-shirt and hair. Confused

And what right have you to judge someone. Some people are fortunate to not live in a nanny state that tells them what do 24/7 and lets them use their free will to make choices so they can learn the lessons of what they create by their choice.

Majesty YP 250 plus. "the way to go".
  • 09-26-2010 01:52 PM In reply to

Freedom of choice Yes

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 09-26-2010 02:39 PM In reply to

• hcrun
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2010
    • Canberra
    • Posts 431

niks:
    And what right have you to judge someone.
    Ohhhh, about the same amount of right as you do and, judging by most of your posts herein, you certainly do more than your share of handing out judgements left, right and centre to not only politicians and bureaucrats but also anyone else who doesn't toe your party line.

So don't look down your nose at me, sport. Clean up your own act.

Bruce

Mid-life went past too quickly so I'm having a late-life crisis.
Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au