Scooter
Community

Illawarra riders

Last post 04-13-2010 02:58 PM by sandy. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-23-2008 02:00 AM

• skootagal
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-20-2008
    • Illawarra, NSW
    • Posts 13

Illawarra riders

Anyone keen to go for a ride with a newbie (had Ls for a fortnight!) who only has a vmoto Milan (top speed 6Okmph)?  Yeah, sounds tempting, I know...I'm in Bulli and looking for any other scooter enthusiasts in the Gong area who aren't in a hurry...I realise I still have a lot to learn and figure the best way to do this is to hang out with other scooter riders who know stuff!

So if you want to take to the open road at turtle-speed, let me know!

Cheers, Andy

• 02-23-2008 11:29 AM In reply to

Re: Illawarra riders

LOL welcome to the club Skootagal! Unfortunately I'm all the way over the other side of the country & so can't help you out. Why don't you put up some signs at a local bike shop? I would recommend you get some lessons with a licensed instructor too as there are things about scooter riding that it takes an instructor to make you aware of - things like road positioning, common courtesy to other road users, defensive riding etc

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 02-27-2008 12:57 AM In reply to

• skootagal
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-20-2008
    • Illawarra, NSW
    • Posts 13

Hi ScootaNut and thanks for the advice...seems like I'll be riding alone for a while as the most prolific forum posters all seem to be from WA or QLD!!  Doesn't seem to be many members around the South Coast of NSW...pity as it is so beautiful here and we have perfect coast roads for scooting along!  But I'm happy enough exploring solo for a while.  As long as I can take Scarlett out for a spin every day, life is good!

Have noticed an increase in other scooters on the road lately, so I just might put up a notice or two in the local bike shops.  As for instructors, there ain't none around here that I can find, so any further advice you'd like to share about road positioning, courtesy and staying alive will be gratefully received!

Cheers,

Andy 

• 04-25-2008 06:37 PM In reply to

• Callisto
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-25-2008
    • Wollongong
    • Posts 35

Hi, just found your message. How did you go finding scooter riders in the Illawarra.  I got my L's in February too, and ride a Vespa GT 200.  My hubby has a massive Honda Silverwing.

I bet by now you go faster than turtle pace, are you enjoying it?  Hope things are going well for you.

Wollongong
    Filed under:
  • 04-27-2008 02:41 PM In reply to

• skootagal
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-20-2008
    • Illawarra, NSW
    • Posts 13

No luck finding riders, unfortunately! Still riding solo... I'm saving for a Vespa because I'm still travelling at turtle pace - that's as fast as my Milan will go!! But loving it and feel stressed if I can't go for a ride! Good luck on the roads! Andy
  • 04-27-2008 03:25 PM In reply to

• Callisto
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-25-2008
    • Wollongong
    • Posts 35

Maybe we could meet up for a ride sometime, we live just up  the road from you.  Be warned though, my daughter calls us the grey gang. 

Do you work? I work part time shift work and my husband is retired.  Lots of lovely bikes and 3 beautiful vespas parked at the headlands hotel for lunch today (Sun).  I am planning to do the Stay Upright Course in June, probably a bit advanced for my level, but there doen't seem to be much choice of courses for beginnners in the Illawarra.

By the way, watch out for  a white landcruiser with a sort of frame on top - I got monstered by one the other morning on the way to work, and today  I saw a motorbike with one really close and going fast - it may not be the same driver but if it is they have a serious attitude problem, best to keep out of their way.

Wollongong
  • 01-23-2010 09:44 PM In reply to

Hi Andy, I've had my scooter for about a year and I'm new to this forum.  I live in Bulli too and my partner and I both have scooters. Mine is 100 cc, my partner's 400 cc, but he's prepared to ride at my speed! Occasionally, we go up to Helensburgh for a coffee with another friend whose wife rides pillion on his bike. My email is claire@kissevents.com.au if you would like to come with us sometime.

Kind regards, Claire

Here is some info about an event I am running:  It is a fund-raising event for Cristina's House of Hope, a safe house that will be built for women and children in the Illawarra. The ride is open to all scooters and postie bikes and will be held on Sunday 28 March 2010, starting at the Bulli Harness Club, northern suburbs of Wollongong at 9 am and finishing at the Jamberoo Pub for lunch, after a lovely ride around Marshall Mount and surrounding area.  Please gain some sponsors! There will be a prize for the highest amount raised and also a prize for the best decorated bike in the ride colours of white and red. I've included a link for the application form or you can go to www.kissevents.com.au

It is not compulsory to obtain sponsors but we hope that you will assist with the fundraising. Cost to join the ride is $45 ($20 for pillion passenger) which includes sausage sizzle and muisic at the Jamberoo pub.

We will also have the option of heading over to Kiama for coffee and cake. Click here for an application form to join the ride.

• 01-23-2010 10:11 PM In reply to

• bradr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • Nowra NSW
    • Posts 2,033

skootagal:

Anyone keen to go for a ride with a newbie (had Ls for a fortnight!) who only has a vmoto Milan (top speed 6Okmph)?  Yeah, sounds tempting, I known..I'm in Bulli and looking for any other scooter enthusiasts in the Gong area who aren't in a hurry...I realise I still have a lot to learn and figure the best way to do this is to hang out with other scooter riders who know stuff!

So if you want to take to the open road at turtle-speed, let me know!

Cheers, Andy

Hey,there are scooter dudes in Nowra too you know,if you want to get together for a run/coffee/chat,let it be know,there is at least 3 of us down here--me,my wife,friend dave,we all ride vespas and don,t need much of an excuse to rideBig Smile,maybe you head sth?,maybe we head nth?,maybe we go halves{kiama/gerringong}?,maybe we all go nth and meet up with the bulli lot?80kph suits me fine.

contact me via the forum or e-mail me at akwell@bigpond.com

Red ones always go faster but blue ones go pretty quick , but now blue ones are the way to go😄
  • 01-23-2010 10:13 PM In reply to

• bradr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • Nowra NSW
    • Posts 2,033

Looks like a great event,i have noted it in the diary

Red ones always go faster but blue ones go pretty quick , but now blue ones are the way to go😄
  • 01-24-2010 01:03 PM In reply to

Hi Brad

If you want to come up for a run with us Bulli riders sometime, let me know. I'm a musician and have a gig every Sunday afternoon, but often go for a run on a Saturday.
    Claire
  • 01-24-2010 02:52 PM In reply to

• Linz
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-09-2008
    • Macarthur, NSW
    • Posts 914

Why do people keep looking out to sea???..some of us 'Are behind you!'(to steal a pantomime chant) in the Macarthur district. The Vespa riders club-Sydney are looking at doing a ride thru the Natio in Feb.....maybe see some of you there??

Don't look at WHO started it up, look at WHAT has been started up.....
  • 01-25-2010 11:36 AM In reply to

Keep us informed and we'll try to join you.

Claire

• 01-25-2010 01:02 PM In reply to

• pja
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-17-2009
    • Batemans Bay, NSW
    • Posts 107

skootagal:
    ... I'm saving for a Vespa because I'm still travelling at turtle pace...

Skootagal,

If you are thinking about replacing your current scooter my advice is to not be put off by something a bit bigger. E.g. if you are keen on a Vespa then go for the 300 GTS (250 at the minimum). Piaggio 400's (including the MP-3) are really good as well. Honda SW-T400 or Yamaha Majesty 400 are better again Big Smile

These larger scooters are just as easy to ride around town but if you get the bug to go further, even do a bit of touring, then the old addage about there being no substitute for more cubic centimetres is certainly true.

There is a scooter club/group in Batemans Bay but that's probably too far south for you.

Regards,
    Peter

Peter Anderson & Co.

"HE HAD offices in Sydney, not so many years ago,
    And his shingle bore the legend 'Peter Anderson and Co.',
    But his real name was Careless, as the fellows understood-
    And his relatives decided that he wasn't any good."
    Henry Lawson, August, 1895
  • 02-06-2010 01:29 PM In reply to

hi do you still got the vespa i been try to find riders in illawarra for six months i am in shellharbour

cheers

paul

• 02-06-2010 02:07 PM In reply to

• Linz
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-09-2008
    • Macarthur, NSW
    • Posts 914

since theres a bit of chat about vespas...sign up here

http://www.vespariders.org.au/forum/index.php

as I said before we're looking at doing a ride thru the Natoional park and sea cliff bridge in late Feb for the Sydney crowd, so why not ride up to, say Loftus, and meet us and we'll all have a bit of lunch on the south side('gong area)

Don't look at WHO started it up, look at WHAT has been started up.....
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au