Scooter
Community

Complete noob with scooters but wanna get one

Last post 04-02-2008 08:41 PM by WYSIWYG. 29 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-04-2008 08:37 PM

• geezmoz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-04-2008
    • Brighton East
    • Posts 20

Complete noob with scooters but wanna get one

Hi guys,

Hope that you all can help me out here. I'm a complete dummy regarding scooters. But I'm not a novice rider. Have owned a Ducati monster, Honda CBR600, and Yamaha FZ6. But due to other commitments, I had to sell the last FZ6.

Currently, I need to travel about 16kms (1 way) to work where I can barely find carparks, have been copping tickets left right center and it is really hurting my pocket. So, I have decided to get a scooter just for work travel. Mainly streets and no major highway or freeway. Will a 50's do or I need something more? Also, I willing to spend something like up to 2.5k on it.

Any suggestions? Anyone planning to sell their bike can send me an email.

My gf is already laughing at me as she said that wearing my only gears on scooters will make me look like an idiot. Who cares, as long I can get to work in one piece. hehe

Thanks 

Being a proud owner of my very first scooter VS125
  • 03-04-2008 09:20 PM In reply to

Re: Complete noob with scooters but wanna get one

geezmoz:

My gf is already laughing at me as she said that wearing my only gears on scooters will make me look like an idiot. Who cares, as long I can get to work in one piece. hehe

No.......don't listen to her.........there are some very sporty scooters and guys looks totally hot in motorcycle racing gear. She might just be jealous that other ladies might be looking at you. Nah~~~~ just kidding...........

On a serious note Check this article on scootersales.com for a review of the popular 50cc, article was written in 2005 though. http://www.scootersales.com.au/News-11-nifty-50s.aspx However, you might want to get something bigger like a 100cc or above.

I think a great way to work out which one is good for you. You need to ask yourself questions. What design? Retro or Sport? Fuel economy or speed? Quality or economy? Luggage space? Where the petrol noddle goes? How tall are you and will you fit in the scooter? Is it comfortable? New or second hand? As so often, it boils down to how it looks. As of course you really must match the look with your existing gear.Wink

Yamaha Vino 125
  • 03-04-2008 09:57 PM In reply to

• geezmoz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-04-2008
    • Brighton East
    • Posts 20

Haha,,, That's what I've been telling her as well!!

Anyway, thanks for the article, it is very good in regards to guide me thru my decisions. Given the fact that a fast 50's 2-stroke will be good for me, as I'm pretty small, about 5'6" and weighs in at 65kg, dun really care much on luggage space, more on looks and speed.

I'm just worried that after a couple of mths, I'm goin to be frustrated and jump back on a bigger bike..... No no... must think of my pocket.... :)

I want it to be fun, enjoyable while I travel just as I did with my prev bikes. I must admit that most 50's are pretty quick off the line and also consider that I'm on smaller streets this time round. Is 50's much difference to 100's or even 125?? Every increases means more money and rego.

Btw, how much is rego for 50's?

• 03-04-2008 10:15 PM In reply to

In Victoria the cost for your initial registration are:

Up to 60cc = $128

61 - 125cc = $326

126 - 500cc $411.80

On top of that you will have to pay stamp duty which is $5 per $200 of market value or part thereof.

The second year, obviously you don't have to pay for stamp duty and the cost is about $24 cheaper as you only have to pay for TAC and registration, no admin or number plate charge.

Sounds a bit reach in te beginning, but you wil pay that off from the savings in petrol, parking fees, parking fines, etc in no time.

I think the difference between 100cc, 125cc and compared with 50cc is substantial, as many 100cc or 125cc can travel up to 90km/h, whilst the 50cc top speed average in about 50~60km/h. Given your weight, the scooter might be a bit faster.

Yamaha Vino 125
  • 03-04-2008 10:56 PM In reply to

I've just got my first scooter - a 50cc Hyosung Rally and I love it. The engine is just starting to loosen up, and although I'm somewhat larger than you (188cm, 95kg), it flies off of the line (and I'm not even using full throttle (most of the time)) and now sits on 50km/h without problem. I'm sure that if it weren't delimited it could go a bit faster as well. I only use it for commuting to work and it's performing great. Sure, something more powerful would be nice, but there's no need - it's cheap, fast enough and carries everything that I need it to. You would probably want something a little smaller, as it's large for a 50cc.

I wear a leather jacket and gloves (had to get an open face helmet, because it was the only one of two that the shop that was large enough (and the other one was around $600), so I dress properly. Sure, I'm the only one who seems to, but I'll come out laughing (relatively) in a spill. Don't worry what others think - if you look like a wanker on a scooter dressed in your gear, you'd look like one on a larger bike as well ;)

• 03-04-2008 11:00 PM In reply to

• geezmoz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-04-2008
    • Brighton East
    • Posts 20

Well, I'm in Victoria.... Had to give up my ride due to rego as part of the reason, can't justify that my bike cost as much as my car for rego. I doubt I'll be traveling anywhere near 90km/h but definitely a thumbs up that I got that extra power when needed. I was reading the articles, is it true that 50's are speed limited to 50kph? That's bad man.... it's like riding a bicycle when you see a car coming and there's nothing you can do.... what in the world are they thinking?

Oh, one more question, anyone here riding a 50 in about my size got any feedback? Do you open the throttle all the way most of the time? hehe, sounds stupid but gotto know... Dun woory, I may test ride one this coming weekend... maybe I'll find that out myself...

• 03-04-2008 11:12 PM In reply to

geezmoz:

Well, I'm in Victoria.... Had to give up my ride due to rego as part of the reason, can't justify that my bike cost as much as my car for rego. I doubt I'll be traveling anywhere near 90km/h but definitely a thumbs up that I got that extra power when needed. I was reading the articles, is it true that 50's are speed limited to 50kph? That's bad man.... it's like riding a bicycle when you see a car coming and there's nothing you can do.... what in the world are they thinking?

Yep, that's true. Admittedly I'm not very experienced so far, but to date I haven't had too many issues with this. Sure, you won't want to take an 80km/h road, but for commuting in traffic, it's been fine so far. 

Oh, one more question, anyone here riding a 50 in about my size got any feedback? Do you open the throttle all the way most of the time? hehe, sounds stupid but gotto know... Dun woory, I may test ride one this coming weekend... maybe I'll find that out myself...

I'm somewhat larger, so I'm much more qualified ;) I don't need to, but once the engine loosens up, I will no doubt go harder off the line, but once I hit 50, there's no need to be full throttle most of the time. Sure, hills will be a different matter, but my ride to work is fairly flat.

• 03-04-2008 11:18 PM In reply to

Yeah. I know exactly what you mean about the 50cc, that's why I said that you might want something bigger.

The Piaggio Zip 100 is currently going for a very good price though and not too big. However, you can de-limit a 50cc if it is the cost factor. Some derestricted 50cc I think goes 65-70km/h. Scooter Garage has a Yamaha Vino 50cc destricted, ex-demo with 370km on the meter and only going for $2,390 ride away no more to pay. That is in your budget range and it reach 65km/h, so perfectly good if you are only going to use local street up to 60km/h.

Plus if you pretty fast over the lead at the traffic lights, then you can maintain a safety gap between you and the car with this derestricted vino.

Yamaha Vino 125
  • 03-04-2008 11:32 PM In reply to

• geezmoz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-04-2008
    • Brighton East
    • Posts 20

captainpotato:
     I'm somewhat larger, so I'm much more qualified ;) I don't need to, but once the engine loosens up, I will no doubt go harder off the line, but once I hit 50, there's no need to be full throttle most of the time. Sure, hills will be a different matter, but my ride to work is fairly flat.

Hahaha, issue is that is uphill all the way from home to work... goin to be a struggle, but wait till I on my way home!! Downhill, here I come....  

• 03-04-2008 11:36 PM In reply to

• geezmoz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-04-2008
    • Brighton East
    • Posts 20

sodarocks:
    The Piaggio Zip 100 is currently going for a very good price though and not too big. However, you can de-limit a 50cc if it is the cost factor. Some derestricted 50cc I think goes 65-70km/h. Scooter Garage has a Yamaha Vino 50cc destricted, ex-demo with 370km on the meter and only going for $2,390 ride away no more to pay. That is in your budget range and it reach 65km/h, so perfectly good if you are only going to use local street up to 60km/h.

Yeap, saw a second hand 1yr old Zip 100 on sale on scootersales website. Not too fancy. But at least its black. What are they goin for at the moment, can't seem to find the price. Well, jolly great excuse to get a new open face helmet!! No, wait, must think of my bank....  

• 03-04-2008 11:53 PM In reply to

From memory, the Piaggio Zip is about $2390 ride away brand new. Try the Piaggio/Vespa dealer in Richmond on Church St, about a block toward Sth Yarra from Swan St. Pretty great scooters. I tried the Zip 100 and Fly 125 before I got my current scooter, but was too "modern" for my taste. Nevertheless they are great though. Excellent size for you, not too big. The seat of the zip can alsobe lowered by the screw under the seat or raised. Max speed 70km/h and dry weight of 89kg which means easy to move around. Got a 7.5 litre petrol tank and according to the books it can do about 43-50km per litre of petrol @ 40km/h.

Yamaha Vino 125
  • 03-04-2008 11:53 PM In reply to

Hi Geezmoz

Welcome to the forum.

Not sure that a 50cc would be a good idea for travelling 16km each way to work & back.  I think you would be better looking at a 100cc minimum so so can mix it with the traffic more easily. 

While I normally ride a Vespa GTS250, when I was in Sydney last week I rode my fathers Bug Bandit 50cc and having returned again to Sydney today, I rode it again this evening, it copes fine with inner city 50km speed limits,  but I find it a worry when travelling on major arterial roads. Don't get me wrong it's great fun to ride.

In the 100cc plus market,  given your budget you would need to buy second hand,  but I've seen quite a few scooters such as the current model Honda Lead 100 or Yamaha BeeWee 100cc that you could buy within your budget and would have less than 5,000km on the clock. There is a 2006 Honda Lead 100cc on eBay in Melbourne with only 300km on the clock with a buy now price of $2350

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HONDA-LEAD-SCOOTER-AS-NEW 

I'm not sure of the top speed of the Honda Lead 100,  but I've ridden my Mom's one,  and I had it up to 80km/h and it felt like it had a bit more speed left in.

------------------------------------------
    David
    Vespa GTS 300 Super
  • 03-05-2008 12:11 AM In reply to

• geezmoz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-04-2008
    • Brighton East
    • Posts 20

Cool, maybe I'll hop in to have a look, I worked off church st at richmond, which is why I'm having parking issues... and given I'm staying at brighton east, it is quite a fair distance to be on a 50cc especially given that its uphill all the way there.

Oh, btw this forum is awesome, very interesting indeed especially the nodding thread. Well, when I'm my prev bikes, I do often nod at other riders including scooters, even more at lady riders... hehe

Glad I registered here...

• 03-05-2008 12:37 AM In reply to

geezmoz:

Cool, maybe I'll hop in to have a look, I worked off church st at richmond, which is why I'm having parking issues... and given I'm staying at brighton east, it is quite a fair distance to be on a 50cc especially given that its uphill all the way there.

Having lived in Melbourne (I grew up there),  I can tell you that if you were heading along Punt Road towards Toorak Road from Richmond and stopped the traffic lights on the bridge at Alexander Avenue (at the Yarra River),  you would have extreme difficult making it up the Punt Road Hill at more than 10 km/hr on a 50cc scooter, if you managed to approach the hill on a green light,  your speed would drop on the hill from say 55 km/hr to approx 20 km/hr.  The difference between a 50cc and 100c is enormous, my sister rides a Bolwell Mio 100 and over Xmas rode it from Sydney to my place at Goodooga (outback NSW), a distance of 890km, apparently sitting on around 90km/hr most of the way.

------------------------------------------
    David
    Vespa GTS 300 Super
  • 03-05-2008 12:45 AM In reply to

• geezmoz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-04-2008
    • Brighton East
    • Posts 20

motorrad:
    you would have extreme difficult making it up the Punt Road Hill at more than 10 km/hr on a 50cc scooter, if you managed to approach the hill on a green light,  your speed would drop on the hill from say 55 km/hr to approx 20 km/hr. 

You are not joking or are you? Seriously? If say, a aprillia SR50, will it be struggling as well with my size? hmmm, that is some serious s***t to consider... Given that I just came off a 600cc, haahaha, not a good idea for a 50cc.... LOL.

motorrad:
    my sister rides a Bolwell Mio 100 and over Xmas rode it from Sydney to my place at Goodooga (outback NSW), a distance of 890km, apparently sitting on around 90km/hr most of the way.

You serious?!? 890km on a 100cc scooter avg 90kph? WOW! How long did she took? RESPECT! Btw, thanks for the tips mate, was doin my research during this time, seems that it is cheaper to get a 100 to 125 then to get a high powered 50cc 2stroke.... 

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au