Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
ScooterAccessories

Fuel Consumption

Last post 10-13-2014 08:08 PM by Proteus. 52 replies.
Page 2 of 4 (53 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-21-2008 12:33 AM In reply to

• r4vi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane, Queensland
    • Posts 170

Re: Fuel Consumption

It's not 10% any more if anyone is interested...The ADRs changed.  Speedos cannot read UNDER the true ground speed of the vehicle at all, but can read OVER a fair bit more...

Essentially if you work out the overcomplicated formula, from memory it allows for your speedo to be reading 100km/h when you are actually doing 86km/h ground speed.

FYI

P.S.   How can everyone calculate fuel consumption differently?  Are you referring to litres per 100km vs km per litre vs mpg?  Or do you mean using different formulae to end up with different end results?

G-Max owners get a better ride :-)
  • 03-21-2008 12:34 AM In reply to

• r4vi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane, Queensland
    • Posts 170

My last check was 3.9l/100km, will be worse next time...Going by my fuel guage...We will see.
  • 03-21-2008 12:54 AM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

Ks/ltr, ltrs/100k, k's/tank, $/week
    Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 03-21-2008 02:04 AM In reply to

• r4vi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane, Queensland
    • Posts 170

petegailey:
    Ks/ltr, ltrs/100k, k's/tank, $/week

Aaah - now I get you...

I'm totally lost by the k's/tank and $/week bit - it's not quantitative - I had a guy tell me the other day his mate uses $5 per month on his scooter - but how far does he travel in that month?  Ok, how about my Runna?  That uses $0 per month!  WOW!  Of course, it's sitting in the garage gathering dust...

Size of tank varies, amount of fuel you use from tank before refilling varies, distance travelled in a week varies...Think empirically people!  Fill tank, note reading on odometer - travel around, refill tank, note odometer - use online calculator to put in fuel used and difference between odometer readings...Simple!  Of course it's not a double-blind control group study with a double-decaf choco-latte triple espresso with a caramel shot but it will do...

• 03-21-2008 02:50 AM In reply to

r4vi:

it's not 10% any more if anyone is interested...The ADRs changed.  Speedos cannot read UNDER the true ground speed of the vehicle at all, but can read OVER a fair bit more...

Essentially if you work out the overcomplicated formula, from memory it allows for your speedo to be reading 100km/h when you are actually doing 86km/h ground speed.

About time they did something about the old +/- 10% rule, it always struck me as idiotic that you could be booked for doing 108 km/h in a 100 km/h zone when it might have only been as a result of speedo inaccuracy on a speedo that complied with the old ADRs.

Courtesy of Google, for anyone interested this brings us into line with UN uniform regulations for speedo accuracy, the new formula is

2. Requirements 
    The production shall be deemed to conform to this Regulation if the following relationship between the speed indicated on the display of the speedometer (V1) and the actual speed (V2) is observed:
    In the case of vehicles of categories M and N:  (cars etc)
    0 ≤ (V1 – V2) ≤ 0.1 V2 + 6 km/h;
    In the case of vehicles of categories L3, L4 and L5:  (motorbikes & motor scooters)
    0 ≤ (V1 – V2) ≤ 0.1 V2 + 8 km/h;  
    In the case of vehicles of categories L1 and L2:  (LA class speed restricted 50cc)
    0 ≤ (V1 – V2) ≤ 0.1 V2 + 4 km/h.

------------------------------------------
    David
    Vespa GTS 300 Super
  • 03-21-2008 11:18 AM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

To r4vi. Also what are you riding. Is it a G max? How many cc"s? And what terrain are you riding? Hills would use more gas than on the flat. And what wieght is the scooter carrying? Plus speedo differences. It does seem 3.5+ltr/100 is about it for 125's. My daelim is supposed to have a 7.5ltr fuel tank The other day I ran it well into the red line (empty). When i got to the service station i looked into the tank and it looked empty (I could see the bottom of the tank) yet it only took 5.8 ltrs. I wonder where the extra 2ltrs is hidden away.
    Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
  • 03-21-2008 11:21 AM In reply to

• mild1
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane - Western Suburbs
    • Posts 228

motorrad:

The production shall be deemed to conform to this Regulation if the following relationship between the speed indicated on the display of the speedometer (V1) and the actual speed (V2) is observed:

In the case of vehicles of categories L3, L4 and L5:  (motorbikes & motor scooters)

0 ≤ (V1 – V2) ≤ 0.1 V2 + 8 km/h;

In the case of vehicles of categories L1 and L2:  (LA class speed restricted 50cc)

0 ≤ (V1 – V2) ≤ 0.1 V2 + 4 km/h.

So unless I've forgotten my high school algebra:

For L3, L4, L5, if actual speed is 100km/h then the maximum difference between is (0.1 x 100 + 8) = 18 so your speedo may read up to 118km/h

For an L1, L2 at 50km/h (0.1 x 50 + 4) = 9 giving 59km/h indicated.

Running the equations round the other way:

For L3, L4, L5 if your indicated speed is 100km/h then your minimum actual speed is (100 - 8)/1.1 = 83.6km/h

Likewise for L1, L2 at 50km/h indicated, (50 - 4)/1.1 = 41.8km/h.

In summary L3, L4, L5 at an actual speed of 100km/h the speedo may indicate anywhere between 100 and 118km/h or at an indicated speed of 100km/h your actual speed may be anywhere between 83.6 and 100km/h

Bolwell HD200
  • 03-21-2008 12:19 PM In reply to

I think your examples are correct,  maths was never a favorite subject of mine.  The important difference between the old rule of +/-10% and the new rule that applies from 2006, is that under the new rules a speedo is not permitted to indicate a speed lower than your actual speed.

For example a speedo indicating 100 km/h when you are actually travelling at 105 km/h does not comply,  but a speedo indicating 105 km/h when your actual speed is 100 km/h does comply with the legislation.

------------------------------------------
    David
    Vespa GTS 300 Super
  • 03-21-2008 05:22 PM In reply to

• Paul Jam
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-26-2007
    • Brisbane - Southside
    • Posts 130

petegailey:
    To r4vi. Also what are you riding. Is it a G max? How many cc"s? And what terrain are you riding? Hills would use more gas than on the flat. And what wieght is the scooter carrying? Plus speedo differences. It does seem 3.5+ltr/100 is about it for 125's. My daelim is supposed to have a 7.5ltr fuel tank The other day I ran it well into the red line (empty). When i got to the service station i looked into the tank and it looked empty (I could see the bottom of the tank) yet it only took 5.8 ltrs. I wonder where the extra 2ltrs is hidden away.

The Daelim has a reserve tank of about 1.2l from memory,not sure at what point on the fuel gauge the reserve tank kicks in.  I've ridden my NS125 to the end of the red zone, but have still never managed to fill more than 6l in the tank.  Would be handy to have some sort of warning light on the dash to know when you are using the reserve tank to know when you REALLY need to fill up.

I've got almost 2000km up and my riding mostly consists of 60km/h zone, stop/start commute with some moderate hills thrown in, and I weigh under 70kg.  I tend to get around the 28km/l mark (~3.5l/100kms).  On the Daelim website claimed fuel consumption is listed at 50km/l.  I'd like to know how this was achieved because I've never gone even close, surely this can't be done on 'real world' riding.

• 03-21-2008 06:31 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

Paul. I concur with your comments re 50km/l. Must be in some sort of vacum. Are you still happy with the scoot? Ive got 1100 up and having a great time. Found out the g max is a 150 so that explains the 3.9ltr/100.
  • 03-21-2008 08:17 PM In reply to

• Paul Jam
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-26-2007
    • Brisbane - Southside
    • Posts 130

Hey Pete,

Still loving the Daelim and very happy with it.  Has more than enough power for the riding I do on it and  I like the way it flies up hills without losing power.  Have only had it on the highway a few times and saw up to 110km/h.  Felt really solid even at that speed, but once you lose momentum takes a little while to get back up to speed (hey, it's a 125!). 

The guys at Scoot HQ say it is more than capable to do a run from Brissie to Gold Coast down the highway (100-110km/h zones) and say that customers have had their's up to 120Km/h and do regular long distance highway riding with no ill effects on the scoot.  Not exactly what I had planned for mine, but I'm finding that I only need to drive my car when I'm taking my 3yo son somewhere, or picking up a pizza (just can't fit it under the seat).

• 03-21-2008 08:25 PM In reply to

• miketl
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-08-2007
    • Kingston, Southern Tassie
    • Posts 755

These are pretty interesting figures from a variety of scooters.  Have been keeping checks for the past 1600km or so and the overal usage is 32km/ltre or just over 3 ltres/100km.  This represents a mixture of built up and highway riding on a Scarabeo 200 (165kg).  Have found  stop and start riding in "town" returns the worse figures (28.4 km/l) and rolling through the country around 90kph best (35.1 km/l).  Hope these figures help.

Mike

Riding an 08 Vespa PX 200, and a 2012 Harley Sportster 883 Superlow
    previously big red Audrey an Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie, an Aprilia Scarabeo 200, and originally a Suzuki F50 Step-through
  • 03-21-2008 11:23 PM In reply to

• mild1
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane - Western Suburbs
    • Posts 228

HD 200, rider ~90kg, mostly commuting (not in peak hour) through 60, 80, and 90km/h zones and the random weekend ride. 8222km on the odometer at last fill.

Average consumption 3.37L/100km or 29.7km/L

Bolwell HD200
  • 03-22-2008 12:26 AM In reply to

• r4vi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane, Queensland
    • Posts 170

petegailey:

My G-Max is 150cc

I weigh a bit over 100kg

Mainly flat roads, a 5km run on motorway at 105km/h indicated (well under 100km/h real speed) to and from work - total of around 35km per working day.

I run mine down to under the red mark, and based on the fact I have a 7.5 litre tank, I still have 1.8 litres remaining when I refill.  That's a fair bit of leeway!  I find it hard to believe as I too can see the bottom of my fuel tank by this point... 

• 03-22-2008 11:59 AM In reply to

Paul Jam:
    but have still never managed to fill more than 6l in the tank

Next NS we deliver we will measuring exactly how much we get in from empty & let you know.

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
Page 2 of 4 (53 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au