Scooter
Community

New Vespa GTS250ie - Ride home, or get delivered - and then what?

Last post 03-27-2008 02:17 AM by motorrad. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-24-2008 04:00 AM

New Vespa GTS250ie - Ride home, or get delivered - and then what?

I just finished my (NSW) learned training, so provided I pass my knowledge test, I should be on the bike early next week.  I did the full manual motorcycle learners course.  I was thinking that it might be good to get that experience, in case at some stage I wanted to ride a manual bike.  Seriously though, I like scooters.

I've bought a Vespa GTS250ie - I fell in love with them when I saw one with extra chrome - I ordered the chrome kit :)

But to the point of the posting... One thing that got me thinking was a comment by the instructor when he recommended that your first bike be delivered home, rather than riding it home.  Basically, he has heard of too many horror stories of brand new fresh learner riders coming off their bikes/scooters just after leaving the store.  Now, the store (Scooteria) is on Paramatta Road, but I was going to travel the back streets home, and I am not planning to hoon it.  Also got a friend who is keen to come along when I pick up the bike - he is an experienced rider.

What do you think? I would also be interesting in hearing how you eased yourself into using it.  I plan to use it for the daily commute.  It's only fairly short (5km), but it beats a 30 (yes 30) minute bus ride or a 50 minute walk.  Did you dive right in and start playing in rush hour traffic?

I also found some YouTube videos of GTS250ies - wow - these things can move! 

http://images.soapbox.msn.com/flash/soapbox1_1.swf?c=v&v=y71bvn8KbSU <p><a href="http://images.soapbox.msn.com/flash/soapbox1_1.swf?c=v&v=y71bvn8KbSU">http://images.soapbox.msn.com/flash/soapbox1_1.swf?c=v&v=y71bvn8KbSU</a></p>

Vespa GTS250ie
    Black, black seat and chrome - lots of it
    Filed under: , ,
  • 03-24-2008 07:27 AM In reply to

Re: New Vespa GTS250ie - Ride home, or get delivered - and then what?

Personally I think even riding from Scooteria to the nearest side street in peak hour traffic (actually it's almost like peak hour no matter what time you are on Parramatta Road) could be quite scary for a fresh learner rider. 

I would strongly recommend that you get your new Vespa delivered to your home,  that way you can get the feel of it on the back streets by making a few short trips before venturing into mad Sydney traffic, also remember that during peak hours, even secondary roads are filled with impatient drivers who will put huge pressure on your limited riding skills.  You'll also find riding initially quite tiring as you will be tense from concentration,  that tiredness reduces enormously as you begin to feel more comfortable with your skill level and begin to relax your body more riding. Your skill level will also increase by huge degrees with a few short rides on secondary roads.

What colour GTS250 did you buy,  I ride a vintage red GTS250. 

------------------------------------------
    David
    Vespa GTS 300 Super
  • 03-24-2008 09:46 AM In reply to

• Clarry
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-17-2008
    • Bonnet Bay, Sydney
    • Posts 153

This is the exact situation I faced when buying my scooter 18 months ago. I had just got my L's but had never ridden on the road before. I decided to get it delivered & I'm very pleased I did. It arrived at 11am one day, after admiring it in my driveway for half an hour I took it for a tentative ride around my quiet local streets. That was enough, it felt so comfortable & easy to ride that 4 hours later I was riding it to work (only 10 mins away, no highway) and then of course riding it home that night. So I got my first ride & first night ride in the one day. It was all good but I was very pleased I hadn't elected to pick it up and attempt to get my riding legs on a busy highway.

• 03-24-2008 11:21 AM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

If you are not comfortable riding it home dont!

I went from a Yamaha Jog to the Yamaha Bee Wee, had never been on it before (or any 100 for that matter), and I rode it home, it was a freaky experience with the power difference.  But mind you this was Mount Isa, not some big city with peak hour traffic!

So if you are not comfortable just have it delivered, and then get used to it by riding up and down your street etc.

Have you ever ridden any scooter before?

2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 03-24-2008 11:43 AM In reply to

I got a black one, with black seat.  I've also added a topbox, side chrome rails, and the small windscreen - basically the chrome kit without the front carrier - didn't like the look of that.

Vespa GTS250ie
  • 03-24-2008 11:49 AM In reply to

I've only ridden little 50cc numbers - but that was when I was a teenager - half my life ago :O

It's funny, I never really considered not riding it home, it was only when it was suggested by someone knowledgeable (the instructor), that it got me thinking.

I think I will ask them to deliver it - seems to be the advise.

Vespa GTS250ie
  • 03-24-2008 11:50 AM In reply to

Well done on the GTS, very nice and the extra chrome is always an advantage (if only for looks hehehe).

I've been looking at the small vespa flyscreen, is that the one you got? If it is, I'll be interested to hear your thoughs on it as someone told me it deflects wind at higher speeds rite to your helmet, not your chest. I do love the look. May I ask what your chrome kit cost you, I'm very interested in adding more chrome.

• 03-24-2008 12:06 PM In reply to

dozer:
    May I ask what your chrome kit cost you, I'm very interested in adding more chrome.

Yes, it is only for looks :)  The chrome side rails cost me $299.  They're Faco brand, as opposed to original Piagio Vespa - they would have been around $600 if I remember!!

I hate it when I start to look for things, I have just seen you can get a chrome crest on the front mudguard - where the light would be on the GTV - it looks fantastic.

Vespa GTS250ie
  • 03-24-2008 12:47 PM In reply to

• WYSIWYG
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-03-2008
    • Northern Beaches, Sydney NSW
    • Posts 85

Congratulations on your new scooter!

I was in the same position as you - I bought my VS125 and had a choice of having it delivered or riding it home.   I had only just gotten my Ls and my total scooter riding experience was around 9 hours, if you include the test rides.

I bit the bullet and rode it home in Sydney's peak hour traffic on a Thursday afternoon.  It was an exhilirating experience and certainly tested my riding skills but I'm glad I did, and would do it again.  I rode it home from Artarmon to the northern beaches, via the Pacific Hwy, Falcon St, Military Rd and Pittwater Rd.  I did have the luxury of bus lanes and transit lanes.

I should also add that:

• I've been driving for 20 years and am confident in anticipating what other drivers will do;
    • I'm also a cyclist and cycle to and from work in the city in peak hour traffic, albeit via different routes to the one I rode home on my scooter, so I am also confident in battling peak hour traffic on 2 wheels
    • I know the route that I took very well which helped with anticipating when to change lanes etc if I knew that buses up ahead were likely to stop;
    • I took it nice and easy and enjoyed the ride.  If people cut me off, I backed off and increased the distance.  I enjoyed it so much I took a long detour home just to stay on the scooter longer!

As others have said, if you don't feel confident riding it home, better to be safe and have it delivered.  Your time to battle the traffic will come and the more practice the better.  My situation is different given my experience, albeit on different forms of transport....and I really, really couldn't wait to ride the scooter....Stick out tongue.

Enjoy your new ride and let us know how you go!

SYM VS125 (white)
  • 03-24-2008 02:19 PM In reply to

you definitely want it to be delivered. when i first got my scooter, it took me an hour to familarise myself with the operation without having to look at them. Then I sat in the driveway looking at all the cars go pass for half an hour....wondering when the traffic would stop. Then when I finally got out of the drive way, it was scary having all the cars tailgate you and overtaking you. For a new rider 20km feels pretty fast. 40km feels scary, 60km is bungee jumping scary, and 80km is like sky diving scary. Then the cornering thing...........yew....

So get it delivered, it is much safer and allows you plenty of time to do things at your own speed, comfort zone and not push yourself.

Yamaha Vino 125
  • 03-24-2008 06:25 PM In reply to

when i get a new bike/scoot

i usually break the dealers balls and hassle them so i can get it asap, then im away.... usually on the way home i see if it can do monos then try aa few stoppies to test the brakes then a lil burnout at the lights followed by a blast down the freeway to test the top speed!

every new bike scoot i've had (there has been plenty) i've taken straight on the fwy... the running in process is bull i follow my own process to run them in and havent had any issues yet (my dad is one of the best motorcycle mechanics around in a particular model and he agrees)

nothing like jumping straight into the deep end! i got my new cygnus-x had 18km on it and @22k on the odo i was doing 115km/h on the fwy :D 

ride it home, cos if your worried about crashing it due to lack of experience 20km and 2 days later isnt going to be any more experience for you to tackle the jungle 

• 03-24-2008 08:20 PM In reply to

andrewd:

(my dad is one of the best motorcycle mechanics around in a particular model and he agrees)

If he agrees with you, then he's not one of the best. I think you're a cowboy, and you obviously have a disregard for both manufacturers recommendations and safety of others reading this post. If people are learning, and are cautious on how to start scootering safely, then I think that your advice is reckless.   

• 03-24-2008 08:43 PM In reply to

• scootie
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-20-2008
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 53

dozer:

andrewd:

(my dad is one of the best motorcycle mechanics around in a particular model and he agrees)

If he agrees with you, then he's not one of the best. I think you're a cowboy, and you obviously have a disregard for both manufacturers recommendations and safety of others reading this post. If people are learning, and are cautious on how to start scootering safely, then I think that your advice is reckless.   

I agree with you Dozer, I think such advice being offered by andrewd is quite reckless. From reading andrewd's it appears he has some limited experience in riding and is also a cowboy. There is a big difference in rider skill level fresh out of a training course and the skill level achieved with a few more hours riding in real conditions on public roads even if they are quiet back streets in the 'burbs.
    I've been riding for quite a few years and I got the friend I was buying my scooter from to deliver it to my house, why ? because even with my riding experience I was not that familiar with driving on the left side of the road (I'm an american that has relocated to Australia) and I wanted to get a little practice making turns.
    I'd recommend to any learner if buying a scooter (new or used) that they get it delivered to their home or apartment so they can practice a little more on quiet streets before mixing it with heavy traffic.
    Rob
    Vespa GT60
  • 03-25-2008 08:51 AM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

And any reason why Cowboy has been thru so many scooters/bikes?  Possibly due to a neglect factor.  You can have the best mechanic in the world in your family, but that wont help the fact that you treat your bikes like ***!  Treat them right, and you should not need a mechanic at all!!!!!

2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 03-25-2008 09:48 AM In reply to

• Tubsta
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-22-2007
    • Secret Test Track, South Gippsland, Australia
    • Posts 1,192

I am with you on that one WYSIWYG, you have all the bases covered, the best way to get experience is in real life situations.  Give yourself space and time, you will have no problems.  I know when I picked up the first Jolie to ride home after riding sports bikes all my life was a learning experience, no longer did I have the acceleration to get me out of situations that were starting to look ugly.  I adjusted my riding style to suite on the way home.

andrewd does have some merit in his madness, engine break in process is a very controversial topic, but I agree with his break-in procedure as my preference.  Let me give you a couple of examples.  I had a new mazda once, treated it gently, opps, 18 months later and 74000km, it was not too flash, using more than its fair share of oil.  Picked up a Nissan, flogged it from the word go including bouncing it of the rev-limiter in 1st, 2nd and 3rd as I left the dealership and I got 168000km and 5 years out of it.  I wish I had not sold that car, it was perfect (compared to the cr@p heap that I had after it), it is still getting around to this day as it lives around the corner to a mate which makes it 13 years old.  Not bad for a 1.3L engine car.

Then you have prime movers.  These things need to be working for the owners from day one, which they get a trailer stuck on the back and tow 30 tonnes of load from then on, no easy going, 1 million km plus before any engine work needs to be done.  Do I even need to explain the break in procedures that cabbies uses?  Check the odo out in a cab next time, these would have to be the most abused cars on the roads.

Everyone uses a break-in procedure that they see fit.  The manufacturer has one so that your scoot/bike/car will last the warranty period so it costs them the least amount of money over this time.  For me, my break-in procedure has not costed me any extra and I get heaps more millage out of it over warranty.

Neglect from not meeting periodic maintenance schedules and leaving oil in the sump that is passed its use-by date causes more engine wear then anything else. 

Here is some interesting reading on the subject:  http://www.ntnoa.org/enginebreakin.htm (read the last paragraph) and http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm (a highly referenced article that has been around for a while).

"Being cold is the result of laziness" - Bunta Fujiwara

Current ride: Yamaha XT660Z Tenere.
    Gone: Piaggio MP3 400ie, too unreliable in the rain (think Italian electrics).

ScooterZine
    Filed under: , ,
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au