Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
ScooterAccessories

Help! I'm Lost!

Last post 04-23-2008 09:16 AM by andrewd. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-19-2008 07:59 PM

Help! I'm Lost!

I'm lost!

I go for my scooter course and license in 2 weeks and would ideally like to buy a scooter straight after (that same week). However, I have been looking at reviews, on-line websites, blogs etc and I still don't know what's right for me.

I don't know what cc to get. I don't understand what kind of speed I should expect to get from a 50, 100, 125, 150, etc!

I live in Narre Warren (dont hold it against me) but will move into inner Melbourne in about 3 months, so anything above a 50 should be fine for commuting to and from work in the CBD once I move into the city.

However, I will want to get back and visit the folks in Narre Warren every now and again. This would involve riding in 80km zones, so I think I really need something that would do at least that! I dont necessarily want to ride on the freeways (especially when I will be a novice), but knowing what would be able to cope with the freeways for later on would also help!

I want something with a 'classic' feel.
    I'm guessing it needs to be above a 50cc

Of course, I love the classic style of the Vespas, I've also looked at the Piaggio Zip100's. I dont really know much about the other makes.  

Any advice would help!

Bry

Filed under:
  • 04-19-2008 08:32 PM In reply to

• scootie
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-20-2008
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 53

Re: Help! I'm Lost!

A lot will depend on your physical size, some scoots will be too small, others too big for you.

As you are keen on the "classic look", I'd recommend Bolwell Mio 100, Yamaha Vino 125 or of course Vespa 125

All of those are freeway capable, the Bolwell Mio despite only being 100cc is remarkable, well built with great performance and a 4 year warranty.

Stay away from the cheap Chinese scoots, the performance is usually lousy & the quality sucks big time, indeed a Chinese 150cc would not be able to keep up with the Taiwanese made Bolwell Mio 100 & the Chinese thingie would have virtually no-resale value.

Vespa GT60
  • 04-19-2008 09:03 PM In reply to

scootie:

As you are keen on the "classic look", I'd recommend Bolwell Mio 100, Yamaha Vino 125 or of course Vespa 125

All of those are freeway capable, the Bolwell Mio despite only being 100cc is remarkable, well built with great performance and a 4 year warranty.

Stay away from the cheap Chinese scoots, the performance is usually lousy & the quality sucks big time, indeed a Chinese 150cc would not be able to keep up with the Taiwanese made Bolwell Mio 100 & the Chinese thingie would have virtually no-resale value

I agree with Rob (Scootie),  the scooters you've recommended are all well built & reliable,  with the classic feel that you are looking for.

My sis had one of those cheapish Chinese scooters that Rob mentioned,  it looked ok when she bought it (against my advice) but proved itself after about 2 months to be an unreliable heap of junk.

After less than 12 months (only 1,500km because it kept breaking down)  she replaced it with a Bolwell Mio 100 and she loves it, 100% reliable, she's now done about 5,000km and no warranty work has been needed at all,  she even rode it at Christmas from Sydney to my place in Goodooga,  a trip of 890km each way, I think she said she was averaging around 90 km/h.

------------------------------------------
    David
    Vespa GTS 300 Super
  • 04-22-2008 08:40 PM In reply to

Do you guys know much about the V Moto 125cc Montego ??

Filed under: , ,
  • 04-22-2008 08:52 PM In reply to

Juxta26:

Do you guys know much about the V Moto 125cc Montego ??

When I wrote in my previous post

"My sis had one of those cheapish Chinese scooters that Rob mentioned,  it looked ok when she bought it (against my advice) but proved itself after about 2 months to be an unreliable heap of junk."

I was referring to a scooter identical to the Montego but sold with different badges, so identical that it appears to have come from the same factory as the Montego, so on that basis I would stay well clear of the Montego. 

In fact it would seem the Montego design might be sold under at least four different names that I know of in Australia.

cheers

------------------------------------------
    David
    Vespa GTS 300 Super
  • 04-23-2008 09:16 AM In reply to

what you need it the Bolwell Mio 100 if you like that style of scoot

the mio is 100x better than the montego and the sachs version and the others and the bolwell only being a 100cc probably still goes getter than the 150cc sachs version too, not to mention it looks better

i have ridden the montego a lil bit and a mate has one, pretty smooth scoot to ride, retro styling is ok... but i like performance and it was pretty slow and terrible in the corners scraping everything...

in regards to engine size a decent scoot will get you anywhere, i have a 125cc and im fat as, yet it has no trouble doing 110km/h i've made a few trips to the mountains now and heaps of highway work, and have passed heaps of cars going up/down black spur.... yet if i still had my Vmoto monaco 125 i couldnt say the same for that 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au