Scooter
Community

whats the go with lane splitting ?

Last post 09-10-2009 11:59 PM by Thunder Fighter. 125 replies.
Page 5 of 9 (126 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-05-2009 09:09 AM In reply to

• AaronPM
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-21-2008
    • Sydney, NSW
    • Posts 269

Re: whats the go with lane splitting ?

WAY:

Are you even Victorian?  Before you mislead every Victorian riders out there, IT IS ILLEGAL TO BOTH LANE SPLIT AND FILTER!

Would you like me to get a bike riding cop to come on here to tell you this? Lol

In Victoria, lane filtering is legal and lane splitting is illegal.

I can give you the toll free number for Vic Roads if you want :)

2015 Matte Black Vespa GTS300
    2008 VESPA LX-150 - SOLD

BLACK IS THE NEW BLACK
  • 06-05-2009 09:15 AM In reply to

• Jax
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-23-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 3,129

There are no specific road rules that cover this and no rule that specifically uses the terminology “lane splitting” or “filtering”.

Lane Filtering is neither specifically legal, nor specifically illegal.

You must not overtake unless you can safely overtake the vehicle (Australian Road Rule 140)

In NSW you can be booked for any of the following:

These are the rules they can get you on if they so desire:
    Driving on a footpath, cycle track/lane, nature strip or traffic island $231 and 3 points
    Driving in an emergency lane (freeway) $179 and 2 points
    Driving on/over continuous edge line (any other road) $179 and 2 points
    Not giving change of direction signal either left or right $128 and 2 points
    Overtaking to the left of the vehicle $128 and 2 points
    Overtaking a vehicle too closely $231 and 3 points

Need scooter parking? www.mcnetwork.com.au on the web or on your iPhone or Android phone
    MCNetwork - using Google maps to plot every parking spot, every dealer, every shop - linked to every product for your scooter.

• 06-05-2009 09:16 AM In reply to

• wleung
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-22-2009
    • Western Sydney
    • Posts 518

hatecagers:
    i dont need to ask a copper, they dont even know themselves, but I suggest you check it out! instead of sittin in traffic on yor 50cc scooter you could be home, i'll filter pass you anyday and i do it all the time past coppers, you dont know the road laws

I think more to the point is "Will a copper bother to book you or not ". I did a quick skim through NSW forums at least (yes it's not VIC), but it appears that the 'laws' defined in NSW were quite 'hazy'. It means the copper can book you down for negligent driving / overtaking in the same lane if they wanted to. It's very subjective in that sense, and I guess supposedly designed so intentionally.

I've seen bikers filter past cops in NSW a few times without harm, but the traffic was stationary . And there does seem to be a clause in existence which says overtaking is ok if the other vehicle is stationary. But again, you could be breaking other road rules - depends how the copper is feeling I suppose.

I also read in passing that one person said that the term 'lane filtering' was introduced by motorcycling organisations in order to create a distinction from traffic weaving that could clearly be defined in legislation, so that 'lane filtering' could be made legal more obviously. Not sure if it's happened yet.

That said - if anyone can find a direct link to something from a motoring authority - I'd believe that straight away. Take what I've said with a grain of salt.

UPDATE: Heh... what Jax said. More specifically: Overtaking a vehicle too closely ($231 and 3 points)... 'close' is not defined?

Exs: CB250, GS500, DL650, Espresso 150, Triumph Street Triple, ZZR250, CB900F Hornet
    Current: CBR125R / Piaggio Fly 150 3V
  • 06-05-2009 09:16 AM In reply to

• Jax
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-23-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 3,129

Will everyone who is saying it is legal please quote your SOURCE.

And not just some phone number or "ring the police station" - look up the ROAD RULES from the Govt websites

Need scooter parking? www.mcnetwork.com.au on the web or on your iPhone or Android phone
    MCNetwork - using Google maps to plot every parking spot, every dealer, every shop - linked to every product for your scooter.

• 06-05-2009 09:31 AM In reply to

• Jax
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-23-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 3,129

wleung:
    UPDATE: Heh... what Jax said. More specifically: Overtaking a vehicle too closely ($231 and 3 points)... 'close' is not defined?

This is in the same vague legal definition as "reasonable".

Reasonable force, reasonable time, reasonable quantity.

• 06-05-2009 09:50 AM In reply to

Jax:

Will everyone who is saying it is legal please quote your SOURCE.

And not just some phone number or "ring the police station" - look up the ROAD RULES from the Govt websites

I did in one of my 1st posts and quoted the mra. if they knew anything else it would be on their website. I also have a friend at ntc, they  write these laws, I spoke to her this morning and she says filtering is techincaly legal but you have to prove the difference between the 2, ie is the traffic moving or stationary. The cops can book you for all these overtaking laws, passing on the left, no indicating, dangerous riding etc if its done in an unsafe manner. a few months ago i lane split on the monash, the traffic was doing about 30-40kph and i passed some cops, they didnt even look twice at me so i reckon unless your doing stupid things its ok. its now about 3 months and i've got no fines in the mail

• 06-05-2009 10:01 AM In reply to

For Tassie, from TheLaw.gov I've deleted some text, just to make it easier to read the important bits...

141. No overtaking, &c., to the left of a vehicle

(1) A driver (except the rider of a bicycle) must not overtake a vehicle to the left of the vehicle unless –

(c) the vehicle is stationary and it is safe to overtake to the left of the vehicle.

144. Keeping a safe distance when overtaking

A driver overtaking a vehicle –

(a) must pass the vehicle at a sufficient distance to avoid a collision with the vehicle or obstructing the path of the vehicle; and

(b) must not return to the marked lane or line of traffic where the vehicle is travelling until the driver is a sufficient distance past the vehicle to avoid a collision with the vehicle or obstructing the path of the vehicle.+

151. Riding a motor bike or bicycle alongside more than one other rider

(1) The rider of a motor bike or bicycle must not ride on a road that is not a multi-lane road alongside more than one other rider, unless subrule (3) applies to the rider.

(2) The rider of a motor bike or bicycle must not ride in a marked lane alongside more than one other rider in the marked lane, unless subrule (3) applies to the rider.

(3) The rider of a motor bike or bicycle may ride alongside more than one other rider if the rider is –

(a) overtaking the other riders; or

So in essence, in Tassie, it is legal to overtake to the left of a stationary vehicle, and it is legal to ride two abreast (or three abreast if one of them is overtaking). If there's any chance the traffic is moving, then it means your motorcycle is travelling abreast with a car, which is not allowed.

In many respects, every aspect of filtering is covered by legislation, but it's the interpretation on the ground that varies. technically, you should be indicating when crossing the white line, you can't cross the solid line on the approach to an intersection, you can't travel alongside a moving car, you can't cross the solid white line at the front of the intersection. But, if the line is broken, you are using your indicators (hard when filtering) and the traffic is stationary, then it shouldn't be a problem... In Tassie anyway.

Tassie's number one scooter dealer.

www.scootershoplaunceston.com.au

info@scootershoplaunceston.com.au
  • 06-05-2009 10:01 AM In reply to

Whilst 'lane-splitting', last week, through dual-carriageway peak-hour traffic on East Parade, Perth, I cruised past a WA Police pursuit vehicle, which never blinked a light after I had passed.

Perth car drivers are against scoots and bikes lane splitting because they can't do it. It's the same mentality as car drivers who, after waiting minutes at a red light, get p!ssed-off with cars that arrive, in the adjacent lane, just as the lights turn green and then cruise past without even having to brake.
  • 06-05-2009 10:33 AM In reply to

• WAY
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-23-2007
    • Posts 399

hatecagers:
    are you victorian we should be askin, your getting the wrong infomation from somewhere matey, you're telling the readers its ilegal but its not. Splitting is ilegal and always has been, filtering in stationary traffic and at traffic lights is legal, i dont need to ask a copper, they dont even know themselves, but I suggest you check it out! instead of sittin in traffic on yor 50cc scooter you could be home, i'll filter pass you anyday and i do it all the time past coppers, you dont know the road laws

I really do wished you were right hatecagers!  But you are not correct. Here is a thread on another forum which may help.  One of the poster there is a Victorian cop.  I have asked if he could come on here to clarify. 

http://www.aussiestreetbikes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1268

Oh and I don't have a 50cc anymore.  With my MP3 400 or my 1100cc bike, filtering is much harder work unfortunately!

2009 Honda DN-01 pseudo scooter
  • 06-05-2009 11:31 AM In reply to

• AaronPM
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-21-2008
    • Sydney, NSW
    • Posts 269

A link to a report commissioned by Vic Roads I believe, developed by Oxford.  It talks specifically about Lane FIltering and Lane Splitting, in particular benfits and negative aspects of it.  It does talk about banning Lane Filtering and unbanning Lane Splitting.  The report is 8 years old, but quite an interesting read.

Motorcylce Transport: Powerd Two Wheels in Victoria - Oxford Systematics, January, 2000.  http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/48FF487F-9A0C-4057-A29F-B462165E05AB/0/oxford2000vol1_1f.pdf

Also from the Victorian Road Act - http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/RulesStandardsRegulations/ActsAndRegulationsAdministeredByVicRoads.htm

PART 11—KEEPING LEFT, OVERTAKING AND OTHER DRIVING RULES

151. Riding a motor bike or bicycle alongside more than 1 other rider
    (1) The rider of a motor bike or bicycle must not ride on a road that is not a multilane road alongside more than 1 other rider, unless subrule (3) applies to the rider.
    Penalty: 1 penalty unit.
    Note Bicycle, motor bike and multi-lane road are defined in the dictionary, and rider is defined in rule 17.
    (2) The rider of a motor bike or bicycle must not ride in a marked lane alongside more than 1 other rider in the marked lane, unless subrule (3) applies to the rider.
    Note Marked lane is defined in the dictionary.
    (3) The rider of a motor bike or bicycle may ride alongside more than 1 other rider if the rider is—
    (a) overtaking the other riders; or
    (b) permitted to do so under regulation 403 of the Road Safety (Road Rules) Regulations 1999.

Note Overtake is defined in the dictionary.
    (4) If the rider of a motor bike or bicycle is riding on a road that is not a multi-lane road alongside another rider, or in a marked lane alongside another rider in the marked lane, the rider must ride not over 1.5 metres from the other rider.
    (5) In this rule— road does not include a road related area, but includes a bicycle path, shared path and any shoulder of the road. Note Bicycle path is defined in rule 239, road related area is defined in rule 13, shared path is defined in rule 242, and shoulder is defined in rule 12.

By the way.  Regulation 403 is talking about permission for road races and special events (like parades).  So only way motor cycles/scooters can share lanes in every day riding in Victoria is by overtaking.

Cheers

Aaron

2015 Matte Black Vespa GTS300
    2008 VESPA LX-150 - SOLD

BLACK IS THE NEW BLACK
  • 06-05-2009 12:00 PM In reply to

AaronPM:
    So only way motor cycles/scooters can share lanes in every day riding in Victoria is by overtaking.

That legislation is the same as Tassie. They certainly don't word it in such a way that it's easy to understand!! But if you read it carefully, you will see that riding two abreast IS legal, and it's the third rider that can overtake...

You must not ride alongside more than one other motorcycle, except when overtaking... So you can ride alongside one other, but can't ride alongside MORE than one other, except when overtaking...

Lawyers hey...??Tongue Tied

Tassie's number one scooter dealer.

www.scootershoplaunceston.com.au

info@scootershoplaunceston.com.au
  • 06-05-2009 12:43 PM In reply to

WAY:
    I really do wished you were right hatecagers!  But you are not correct. Here is a thread on another forum which may help.  One of the poster there is a Victorian cop.  I have asked if he could come on here to clarify. 

http://www.aussiestreetbikes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1268

Oh and I don't have a 50cc anymore.  With my MP3 400 or my 1100cc bike, filtering is much harder work unfortunately!

yes, unfortunately you are not correct again Way. Also many people do not or will not join sports bike forums so you will have to copy stuff here. I for one will not join that forum just to read an insigificant post. You can debate this all day but you are wrong, bring the cop here, they dont know all the laws themselves, i wouldnt believe anything a cop says over what is written in black and white.

I was emailed this from my mate at ntc. these are the people who write the laws Way, not the cops!

Definition of lane filtering and lane Splitting
    In broad terms, filtering by motorcyclists is defined as moving between traffic
    when other surrounding traffic is stationary. This is standard motorcycle practice
    and necessary for safe motorcycle travel.

Lane splitting is defined as moving through traffic when other traffic is in motion.
    It can also refer to overtaking within the same marked lane in moving traffic
    This
    is currently an illegal activity in Victoria.

splitting is defined as moving through traffic when other traffic is in motion. It can also refer to overtaking within the same marked lane in moving traffic. This is currently ilegal in Victoria.

filtering by motorcyclists is defined as moving between traffic when other surrounding traffic is stationary. This is standard motorcycle practice and necessary for safe motorcycle travel.

Lane splitting is an ilegal practice although lane filtering is still under investigation.

This
    This
    This

when other surrounding traffic is stationary. This is standard motorcycle practice

Lane splitting is defined as moving through traffic when other traffic is in motion.
    This

Sometimes lane splitting and filtering are used intermittently without full
    comprehension of the differences in each mobility activity. This results in
    problems for policy makers, motorcyclists and enforcement agencies during
    policy formation and implementation.
  • 06-05-2009 01:23 PM In reply to

• Jax
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-23-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 3,129

hatecagers:
    I was emailed this from my mate at ntc. these are the people who write the laws

what is NTC and is this legitimately published somewhere - ie AustLII

• 06-05-2009 02:56 PM In reply to

In south australia taken from the drivers handbook 1 overtaking on the left of another vehicle in the same lane is both dangerous and illegal  2  riding between two lanes of stationary vehicles where lane lines are marked on the road is both dangerous and illegal  3 riders may ride two-abreast but no more than 1.5 metres apart   

• 06-05-2009 04:07 PM In reply to

• Ron
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-11-2008
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 124

hatecagers:

filtering by motorcyclists is defined as moving between traffic when other surrounding traffic is stationary. This is standard motorcycle practice and necessary for safe motorcycle travel.

This

Sometimes lane splitting and filtering are used intermittently without full
    comprehension of the differences in each mobility activity. This results in
    problems for policy makers, motorcyclists and enforcement agencies during
    policy formation and implementation.

I don't agree with the statement that it is 'necessary for safe motorcycle travel', that is just stupid. Sure, it can be safer because it prevents you getting squashed between two cars, but it can also be incredibly unsafe if the car drivers want to be totally assholes and move closer to the edge of the lane to stop you, or god forbid, open their doors. I've done it less than a handful of times, and am yet to have an accident involving another vehicle. I don't see how it's 'necessary' to safe riding.

Bolwell VS125 - Red
Page 5 of 9 (126 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last »

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au