Scooter
Community

Best value for money scooter in the above-250cc range?

Last post 06-28-2008 11:13 PM by miketl. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-28-2008 12:33 PM

Best value for money scooter in the above-250cc range?

I think it might be the Peugeot Geopolis 400.

It's $8990 plus orc. That is $2000 less than the Scarabeo 500, and only 60cc less (since Scarabeo 500 is actually 460cc).

Geopolis is also $1000 less than Gilera Nexus.

I haven't had a test ride of one, but the styling looks sleek & sporty. There's a pic on page 8 of the latest Scooter magazine.

But nobody on this forum seems to own one.

Mack Truck
  • 06-28-2008 03:46 PM In reply to

Re: Best value for money scooter in the above-250cc range?

ColdCola:

Geopolis is also $1000 less than Gilera Nexus.

Not if you buy the Nexus from the right dealer!  I paid $8,900 ride away! So I believe the Nexus at that price is the best value for money. 

I've been told by a Peugeot dealer that the service intervals are every 6,000 kms on the Geopolis.  The Nexus are every 10,000 kms.  That's better value for money I'm tipping.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the black Geopolis but 'Stony Creek Imports' tell me the black model is still 8 weeks away.

• 06-28-2008 04:05 PM In reply to

The Xevo 400 is also $8990 plus ORC.  And with Piaggio Australia currently paying for the govt charges till the end of July...

And I reckon that its got to have more storage than the Peugeot. 

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 06-28-2008 04:28 PM In reply to

steve@ace:

The Xevo 400 is also $8990 plus ORC.  And with Piaggio Australia currently paying for the govt charges till the end of July...

And I reckon that its got to have more storage than the Peugeot. 

The XEvo 400 is a nice scoot indeed, basically a X8 with a few cosmetic changes - mechanicallyand dimensions exactly the same.  I had a look under the seat of a Geopolis 400 a fortnight ago and the XEvo does have more storage by far.

• 06-28-2008 04:38 PM In reply to

the large peugeot scooters, 250cc and bigger use piaggio motors, so there service intervals should be the same.

my satelis is 10,000km service, the same as a nexus.

argentum melle
  • 06-28-2008 04:38 PM In reply to

what about the kymco xciting 500?

argentum melle
  • 06-28-2008 04:53 PM In reply to

silverflyer:

the large peugeot scooters, 250cc and bigger use piaggio motors, so there service intervals should be the same.

my satelis is 10,000km service, the same as a nexus.

I can only go by what the dealer told me but does seem unusual if the Geopolis uses a Piaggio 400cc engine, the service intervals should be the same, yes. 

• 06-28-2008 05:05 PM In reply to

I took the Xciting 500 for a decent test ride on the freeway about 3 months ago just before I made the decision to get the X8 400.  To be perfectly honest, I was quite disappointed in the Xciting.  The speedo didn't work at all and it just didn't feel right to me.  I appreciate it only had a few kms on it and wasn't run in but it lacked top end speed and after a close inspection and real going over, I was unhappy with the quality and finish (my opinion only).  I require a top box for extra storage and the top box rack set up on the Xciting looked terrible and nowhere near as neat as it does on other maxi scooters - especially the Nexus.

I'm sure that overall it's not too bad a scoot and for the $7,600 on the road price the dealer offered me, that's great for a 500cc maxi. But......................compare that to the price I paid for the X8 400 ($7,500 ride away) and eventually my Nexus and there's no comparison really.      

• 06-28-2008 05:54 PM In reply to

Thanks for the comments, all of you. Interesting to hear your views.

I like the idea of a big engine but not a big (or not too big, anyway) sized scooter. Generally I don't love the look of the Maxi's (with the exception, maybe, of that ultra pricey Yamaha one. The over-ripe design disqualifies the Piaggio's and the Xciting. And the review of the Xciting from G-Scoota has not exactly persuaded me to look any further at that!

I like the Scarabeo but it's too expensive. I like the Nexus but it might be just too motorcycle-like for me, I don't know.

With my leg still healing at a snail's pace, I guess I've got time to think these things through!

Mack Truck
  • 06-28-2008 06:01 PM In reply to

ColdCola:

Thanks for the comments, all of you. Interesting to hear your views.

I like the idea of a big engine but not a big (or not too big, anyway) sized scooter. Generally I don't love the look of the Maxi's (with the exception, maybe, of that ultra pricey Yamaha one. The over-ripe design disqualifies the Piaggio's and the Xciting. And the review of the Xciting from G-Scoota has not exactly persuaded me to look any further at that!

I like the Scarabeo but it's too expensive. I like the Nexus but it might be just too motorcycle-like for me, I don't know.

With my leg still healing at a snail's pace, I guess I've got time to think these things through!

Yes, take your time and research them all.  Look at them, read about them, do whatever it takes to make the right decision.  We are all different people and have different tastes.  What matters the most is that YOU are happy with it, no-one else.  The Xciting may be right up someones alley for cost and looks. It was only my opinion and just didn't 'do it' for me.  Good luck with the leg and let us know what you choose. 

• 06-28-2008 06:25 PM In reply to

• miketl
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-08-2007
    • Kingston, Southern Tassie
    • Posts 755

ColdCola:

What you're doing, ColdCola, is great for Scooter Withdrawal as you recover.  It's also giving the rest of us topics to think about.

As for "best value for money" I think it is more than just monetary value.  I remember getting an electric jug from KMart and thinking I'd got a bargain for under $20 when my wife had told me to expect around $60.  Well it wasn't too long before I was back on the hunt, this time with strict instructions, for a new one.  the Scarabeo does come with a hefty price tag, but you can be lucky with a 2nd hand one.  Also have heard of quite a number of Scarabeo riders in the US getting in excess of 200,000km, so they stick around for a while. 

Riding an 08 Vespa PX 200, and a 2012 Harley Sportster 883 Superlow
    previously big red Audrey an Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie, an Aprilia Scarabeo 200, and originally a Suzuki F50 Step-through
  • 06-28-2008 06:37 PM In reply to

Thanks, Mike. Certainly I have more time for thinking while I am incapable of riding!

The Scarabeo really does appeal to me. Maybe you're right; maybe I should aim for that down the line, especially if I can get a good second hand one or maybe a discounted demo model.

Can you tell me what it was like to go from 250cc to 460cc? Is it only on the freeways that a real difference is felt, or is it felt everywhere -- suburban roads, hills, highways etc?

Thanks

Mack Truck
  • 06-28-2008 06:58 PM In reply to

How is the whole recovery process  going anyway Coldcola? Have you heard anything about the state of your scooter?

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 06-28-2008 11:01 PM In reply to

Hi ScootaNut,

Thanks for asking. It's been 4 weeks now since the accident. The leg's still in a brace & I'm still on crutches. Hoping to be able to bear weight on that leg within the next 2-3 weeks. Most of the bruising has gone away, but some of the muscles in both the leg as well as my ribs and back remain sore and go into painful cramps sometimes.

The HD200 is still in for repairs. Apparently it wasn't damaged too badly, considering. The dealer is about to let me know the quote for repairs & I can then decide whether to have everything done (ie painting over some scratches etc) or just the essentials.

Things could have been worse, a lot worse, for me & the scooter. But I so look forward to getting the use of my leg back!

Hope you're having a great time riding.

Mack Truck
  • 06-28-2008 11:13 PM In reply to

• miketl
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-08-2007
    • Kingston, Southern Tassie
    • Posts 755

ColdCola:
    Can you tell me what it was like to go from 250cc to 460cc? Is it only on the freeways that a real difference is felt, or is it felt everywhere -- suburban roads, hills, highways etc?

I went from a 2004 200 to a 2006 500ie and both times I was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time.  The 200 had just done 7,000km but had those beautiful side panniers as well as a huge topbox.  The ride was good and the scoot felt solid and compared to my old Pajero flew up the Southern Outlet at the posted speed of 80kph and down the other side at 100kph no worries.  As I only had the Yamaha offroader from the learner course to compare it to it was all I could want.  The biggest difficulty I had in the beginning was putting it up on its stand, especially if facing down an incline.

As I had just hit 10,000km I noticed the "gearing" getting a little noisy, but this coincided with a scheduled service.  They lubricated and tightened and suggested more of an overhaul at the next service.  I took it out on the highway and was amazed how it flew along at 110kph hitting the top of the midland table lands around 115kph with no worries.  It was physical keeping it all together with side winds and the sheer force of travelling at that speed, but I was happy with the ride.

Then I happened into the scooter shop and was struck by the sheer beauty of this shiny red 500ie.  I was just struck dumbfound and walked away in awe.  After a tentative test ride I knew that it was the scoot to get.  At first I was very tentative about the extra weight, 190kg dry as opposed to 165kg kerb wt and I barely tip the scales at 60kg. I was also unsure of how such a powerful machine would behave in tight quarters of stop go traffic.  My test ride was on a Friday around 4.30pm so I was amazed at how it happily creeps along with the congested traffic from light to light.  As Coffeescoffer has remarked, this is because the 500's weight distribution is a lot lower than the 200's.  The fuel tank is at the base of the floor board rather than under the seat to start with. While you're riding you get the feeling of controlled power.  If you need to creep along at 20kph, that's what it does.  If the flow is at 50kph, again that is what it does.  Similar for 80, 100, 110 and you still get the feeling that there is a lot more if you need it.

The 200 is by no means flimsy, but the 500ie has such a solid feel about it.  Even the deep throated rumble of the engine gives that impression.  The lights, the instrumentation, the seat all exude quality finish.  Sure the consumption has dropped from low to mid 30s to mid 20s (34km/l to 25km/l) but there is little comparison in the ride.  It isn't as physical.  Earlier this week I rode in 7C temp with hail bouncing off the windscreen.  I could have used a pair of those heated handgrips, but at no time did I feel the wheels slide, the brakes lock up or feel the engine hesitate.  When I called into the coffee store to get some beans pulling off my helmet in the warmth, the roaster, who rides a Ducati, said, "only the postman and mad men come in looking like that." 

Maybe I am a madman, but I think that a good machine allows you to venture forth in less favourable conditions Geeked

ciao 

Riding an 08 Vespa PX 200, and a 2012 Harley Sportster 883 Superlow
    previously big red Audrey an Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie, an Aprilia Scarabeo 200, and originally a Suzuki F50 Step-through
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au