Scooter
Community

Convince me not to get the Aprilia Mana 850

Last post 08-05-2009 07:42 PM by artysig. 128 replies.
Page 4 of 9 (129 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-01-2009 06:52 PM In reply to

Re: Convince me not to get the Aprilia Mana 850

volrathy:

I hate these scooter cross motorcycle hybrids they are an abomination either get a motorbike if you want a motorbike or get a scooter.

That's taking things a bit too seriously, Volrathy.

I used to hate Japanese food until I tasted some Teriyaki chicken. I still can't stand the idea or taste of sushi, which my wife & kids love, but I have found a compromise in Japan's more Western-style BBQ meat dishes. As long it is washed down with a tall glass of icy cold Coca Cola, I will sit in Tokyo Inn with my family quite happily & eat with those flimsy, splintery wooden chopsticks & hold my tongue.

Maybe it is the same with the Mana. A compromise but worth a try! (Just remember to take a cold one along to the test ride.) Cool

Mack Truck
  • 06-01-2009 08:41 PM In reply to

I gotta say I think the idea of hybrids is excellent. Think about many of the scooters that are currently available and how they have benefited from larger wheels, for example. The Mana is just the next step in the progression. Apart from purely emotional reasons why would you not want to ride some thing will many of the advantages of a scoot and a motor bike?

Scarabeo 500ie. J costa variator, Giannelli Exhaust, Malossi Cam, Dr Pulley Clutch, and SX appeal cup holder. GONE

Bought a ducati, missed scootering so now riding a Vespa 300 super. Polini variator, PM tuning exhaust, Malossi clutch springs jettin bar ends with mirrors, heated grips and still an SX appeal cup holder.
  • 06-01-2009 09:27 PM In reply to

• WAY
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-23-2007
    • Posts 399

robbie55:

Well in reply to using powerful bikes/cars just to go to work etc. I do actually use my bike for touring or just a long day ride etc and the scoot for the daily commute but I would and often do just go for an unplanned long ride (a couple of hours) when I leave work early. I used to go home and get the bike but often when I got there thought I'd better do something else (cook/clean) or otherwise in general just get sidetracked so now if I have a chance I just go on the scooter but often wish I was on the bike for these longer rides.

In terms of hating the cross over bikes I can only really point to the above reasons again. To be honest I hate riding the bike or even a manual car around town its just plain boring. Flicking between first and second doesn't really give me a thrill and in the real world the lack of storage on bikes is a very great downside. As you would all be aware, being able to leave a full set of wet weather gear and being able to head home comfortably with a couple bags of shopping or take away is a great benefit the scooter holds over a bike. Sometimes crossovers do serve a valid purpose. Its more of just what suits you but I can see your point and have considered it long and hard as well.

Didn't get a chance to ride one again on the weekend but have found a store that has one in stock. If I get a chance I'll head out there this week and see what sort of deal they'll do.

I agree Robbie.  It's a pain riding a bike in the city, and I never enjoy riding my scooter (relative to my bike that is) if it's a ride outside of say 6-7km radius outside of the city.  Sometimes when I ride my scooter I wish it has a bit more power off the line and I can ride it a bit more agressively.  When I decide to get rid of the MP3, I would have to seriously consider something like the Mana if the price is reasonable (like under $15k rideaway).  I would then get a tail bag to make it even more liveable.  However I would still keep my bike as that has more mumbo and is lighter than a Mana.  It's a fun mountain carver.  I am watching this with interest to see how you get on with a Mana if you do buy it!

2009 Honda DN-01 pseudo scooter
  • 06-01-2009 10:57 PM In reply to

I think that the most compelling reason not to buy the Mana is that it does not look like a scooter.

For some riders, of course, that will be its greatest appeal; for others, its greatest drawback.

Mack Truck
  • 06-02-2009 06:28 AM In reply to

I agree with you. I personally am not a big fan of the look of the bike. I prefer a scooter look, and like my scooters to look like scooters. But if I had to choose betwen a GP800 and the mana I would probably choose the mana because I prefer a modern motor bike look over a modern scoot look. But that is just my taste obviously.

It does seem a bit like the bike guys dont like the mana because it is too like a scooter, and the scooter guys dont like it because it is too like a bike.

ColdCola:

I think that the most compelling reason not to buy the Mana is that it does not look like a scooter.

For some riders, of course, that will be its greatest appeal; for others, its greatest drawback.

Scarabeo 500ie. J costa variator, Giannelli Exhaust, Malossi Cam, Dr Pulley Clutch, and SX appeal cup holder. GONE

Bought a ducati, missed scootering so now riding a Vespa 300 super. Polini variator, PM tuning exhaust, Malossi clutch springs jettin bar ends with mirrors, heated grips and still an SX appeal cup holder.
  • 06-02-2009 07:52 AM In reply to

• WAY
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-23-2007
    • Posts 399

Which then leaves guys and gals like me who like both bike and scoot. Smallmarket indeed!
  • 06-02-2009 08:33 AM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

I think I might grab one of these next from aprilia as it deserves some airtime and an answer to the question just why you would buy it. I havent ridden one so I think we would all be better off for the experience... Best of both worlds I reckon

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 06-02-2009 09:46 AM In reply to

• WAY
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-23-2007
    • Posts 399

That would be awesome Allen!  And get one for me for say $12k rideaway and I will ditch my scooter and help Aprilia spread the word.  I will be like an ambasidor for them if you like. Geeked

• 06-02-2009 09:55 AM In reply to

Its a bike for people that can only ride automatics but dont think its cool to ride scooters.

• 06-02-2009 01:26 PM In reply to

I disagree I have a bike that I can ride. Infact the Mana is tearing me away from another bike; the Breva 750. I am test riding them both back to back in Richmond this saturday and hope to make up my mind then. The reasons for my considering an auto bike have already been listed here so I won't go over them again.

I have also in the past considered a maxi scooter but in the end the Mana at this point is coming out on top as a machine that be my "all in one". Whether I can live with some of the compromises that it obviously brings I can probably really only decide after the test ride (if ever).

• 06-02-2009 01:48 PM In reply to

Isn't the mana 850 like $17,000 or something stupid . . .

For $12,000 cant you get something like -

http://www.suzukimotorcycles.com.au/bikes/road/sport-sport-touring/2009/bandit-1250s-abs.html

• 06-02-2009 02:20 PM In reply to

volrathy:

Its a bike for people that can only ride automatics but dont think its cool to ride scooters.

Would you assume that if some one has an automatic car they cannot drive a manual? Of course not! This is such a ridiculous assumption!! Automatic transmissions are better in a number of ways, and worse in others. It is just a matter of finding the best fit. I can't help but think you are just stirring?

With regard to the suzuki......the point of the mana is the auto, and the in built storage, why would you compare it to a bike that has neither?

• 06-02-2009 03:54 PM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

volrathy:

Yeh each to there own and no offence but I would think the Bandit 1250 would be like riding a tractor. Bulky, heavy and large. All of these things the Mana is not. 

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 06-02-2009 04:21 PM In reply to

volrathy:
    For $12,000 cant you get something like -

A Barina, so you can take your friends, your shopping, your puppy dog to the vet etc etc.Smile

The Mana is a new breed of machine. Think of it as an automatic motorcycle, rather than a scooter-wanna-be-coz-I-can't-ride-gears-but-don't-want-people-to-think-I'm-Audrey-Hepburn type thing.

Auto's now include the Mana and the Honda DN-01, and the Yammie FJR1300 now comes with a manual transmission that doesn't have a clutch lever, making it a semi auto!! The Yammie is a staple in the manual bike world, and it's as good as auto now!! The VW Golf (amongst others) has a 6 or 7 speed transmission that consists of two clutches, and a normal manual gearbox. It doesn't have a clutch pedal, shifts automatically and outperforms the human-shifted version on all counts.

When you mention "auto" to any old-school people, they immediately think of an auto '78 Gemini, or that auto Moto Guzzi from the stone age that ran a 2 speed powerglide transmission. Those days are gone, and autos are the way of the future, and the Mana is a fine example. Give it one generation, and everyone will be riding autos of some sort, and there'll be little old grey men sitting in the corner prattling on about "back in my day....we laughed when someone had an auto..."

The Mana is an awesome example of adapting scooter transmission ease with bike like dynamics, balance, position and feel. I'd have one if that was what I was after...

Tassie's number one scooter dealer.

www.scootershoplaunceston.com.au

info@scootershoplaunceston.com.au
  • 06-02-2009 04:34 PM In reply to

• WAY
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-23-2007
    • Posts 399

One disadvantage of the Mana though is that it has CVT which means it WILL feel like a scooter in the way it rides.  I would rather FJR sort of semi-auto transmission which is similar in execution to the likes of Lambos E-gear and Ferrari's F1 gearbox.  DN-01 is more like a conventional car gearbox?  Is that right?  Does it have a torque convertor?

Page 4 of 9 (129 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au