Scooter
Community

Who among you would get a motorbike if more were available in automatic?

Last post 05-08-2009 09:04 AM by Vespaholic. 47 replies.
Page 3 of 4 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-01-2009 09:19 PM In reply to

• Magoo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-05-2008
    • WA
    • Posts 804

Re: Who among you would get a motorbike if more were available in automatic?

and speaking of motorbikes, I went in for a browse today at suzuki motorcycles and saw a 650cc standing there and thought "no way will I ever ride something so darn big" Im more than happy to stick with a 250. Small is more my liking.

• 05-01-2009 11:10 PM In reply to

forget that shitty honda dn-01 it's crap, looks cool but is useless for anything other than looks, at least the aprilia can store a helmet, the honda has no storage is overweight and under powered and has zero storage.... want a real auto bike.... you can get auto clutches to suit many bikes, so if you dont want too you dont need to use the clutch... kinda like on a postie bike, but not the same...
  • 05-02-2009 03:27 PM In reply to

• bort
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-07-2009
    • South Perth
    • Posts 139

steve@ace:

Or import a GP 800.

But, I have no desire to buy or ride a motorbike.  Don't know why, but I just don't.  They don't stir anything up in me at all. I know what I mean but I can't explain  (sorry, today I've just decided that I'm going to try to drop in Who references in my posts)

when i told people i was getting a 250cc scoot they were like ' why don't you just buy a real bike?' but motorbikes really do nothing for me, sportsbikes especially. 

Derbi GP1 250
  • 05-02-2009 08:34 PM In reply to

• c.j.b
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-22-2008
    • Internet Cluebat LLC
    • Posts 102

bort:
    when i told people i was getting a 250cc scoot they were like ' why don't you just buy a real bike?' but motorbikes really do nothing for me, sportsbikes especially.
    Same.

When you compare scoots to sports bikes, it's like decent cars versus Hummers by a proportional comparison... Weight, maneuverability, fuel consumption, sticker cost and TCO, ...
    "Enjoy your SUVbike."

"I understand, any posts made to these forums, or any
    modifications, updates, changes, and/or amendments
    made to the forum itself, while made by myself, become
    the property of the forum owners. As such, all intellectual
    property rights associated with any of the above are
    transferred to the forum owners. "
  • 05-02-2009 08:51 PM In reply to

• bort
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-07-2009
    • South Perth
    • Posts 139

it's more that i don't like the look of them - to me they all look the same. besides, i don't really see me booting around on a sportsbike :P not really me.. hehe

Derbi GP1 250
  • 05-02-2009 09:28 PM In reply to

• WAY
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-23-2007
    • Posts 399

c.j.b:
    bort:
    Same.

When you compare scoots to sports bikes, it's like decent cars versus Hummers by a proportional comparison... Weight, maneuverability, fuel consumption, sticker cost and TCO, ...
    "Enjoy your SUVbike."

Huh?  I would have said it's the opposite.  More like enjoy your SUVscoot?  Displacement for displacement, TCO of bikes are lower.  You can't compare a 250cc scooter to say litre bikes.

2009 Honda DN-01 pseudo scooter
  • 05-02-2009 11:28 PM In reply to

• c.j.b
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-22-2008
    • Internet Cluebat LLC
    • Posts 102

WAY:
    Huh?  I would have said it's the opposite
    The context isn't comparing 250cc scooters with 250cc motorbikes, but flagging down those that want to claim a CBR600 is 'hella cheap to run and super-maneuverable' to bunch of us on a certain 4-clovered website with 125cc scoots and mopeds. "*cough cough* enjoy ur Hummerbike."
    "I understand, any posts made to these forums, or any
    modifications, updates, changes, and/or amendments
    made to the forum itself, while made by myself, become
    the property of the forum owners. As such, all intellectual
    property rights associated with any of the above are
    transferred to the forum owners. "
  • 05-03-2009 12:03 AM In reply to

• bradr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • Nowra NSW
    • Posts 2,036

i would,they would be an excellent idea,feel it would really open up the 2 wheeled industry,we sell more auto than manual cars cause they appeal to a larger slice of market--but we in australia i do not believe will ever go for the idea as there are too many die hards amongst us ,i mean just listen to how many people would never own a gas fueled car--in case it blows up and while we are accepting of cvt scooters i don,t see too many of em ordering auto harleys.

if only the average aussie had a broader mind for such things,ah well maybe one day but who really cares as long as we have cvt scooters anyway cause they are more practical and more fun than bikes anyway.

Red ones always go faster but blue ones go pretty quick , but now blue ones are the way to go😄
  • 05-03-2009 12:12 AM In reply to

• WAY
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-23-2007
    • Posts 399

c.j.b:
    WAY:
    Huh?  I would have said it's the opposite
    The context isn't comparing 250cc scooters with 250cc motorbikes, but flagging down those that want to claim a CBR600 is 'hella cheap to run and super-maneuverable' to bunch of us on a certain 4-clovered website with 125cc scoots and mopeds. "*cough cough* enjoy ur Hummerbike."

Sorry I am not privy to your context nor am I a member of said website.  But what I said remains, you can't compare a litre bike (or 600cc for that matter) to a 250cc scooter.  That is just silly.  But if you compare displacement to discplacement, you will find that the bikes are cheaper to buy, cheaper to run, and a heck of a lot faster.  But for me, bikes and scooters both have their place.  Hence why I have both.

2009 Honda DN-01 pseudo scooter
  • 05-03-2009 12:31 AM In reply to

WAY:
    But if you compare displacement to discplacement, you will find that the bikes are cheaper to buy, cheaper to run, and a heck of a lot faster.  But for me, bikes and scooters both have their place.

Yup correctamundo. Apples and Oranges. Nobody has made a machine that has all the functions of both. They have come close but No Banana.

Lots of fruit here.Tongue Tied

Gee had a look at this old thread wrote something down and it sprang back to life.

Do more with less Cygnus125 then 250Virago
    Get outa town the wheels wont stop
    alias Hardly Viragoson
  • 05-03-2009 04:42 AM In reply to

• SteelMoon
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2008
    • PERTH , WESTERN AUSTRALIA
    • Posts 420

Whisper [:-*] Re: Who among you would get a motorbike if more were available in automatic?

I would never ride a motorbike in automatic because I like scooter better . I always ridden Scooter never motorbikes because the manual transmission witch I do not how to operate or ride them. I would take a scooter over a motorbike any day of the week , month , year .

cheers.

• 05-03-2009 09:58 AM In reply to

I've only ridden an auto a couple of times in my life - gears are nothing scary. So if I really wanted a motorbike, I could ride one. But I prefer a scooter.

organiser Hobart Motor Scooter Club

Cool gear and Vespa seat covers at cosmicbreed.com

For info on the National Scooter Rallies open to all riders, go to National Scooter Rally

Remember, don't spend all your time posting on scooter forums - get out there and ride your scooter...
  • 05-03-2009 12:50 PM In reply to

bort:

when i told people i was getting a 250cc scoot they were like ' why don't you just buy a real bike?' but motorbikes really do nothing for me, sportsbikes especially

i think we might have talked to exactly the same people :)

i would take my Beverly over any motorbike any day of the week...

Piaggio 250 BV type R

Aprilia Scarabeo 250ie
  • 05-03-2009 02:04 PM In reply to

Lets face it there are no small capacity commuter motorcycles or step-through for sale in Australia most motorcycles sold in Australia are toys for the weekend  so comparing scooters to motorbikes cant be done anymore

• 05-03-2009 02:13 PM In reply to

• Paul
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-16-2008
    • Brisbane
    • Posts 652

No, they are different machines.....a scooter is imo automatic (mainly) a bike has gears...different purposes

Cheers,
    Paul

Now Scarabeo 300 June 11 with Arrow pipe..oh yea!
    previously Scarabeo 200 (with gpr pipe) Oct 09 - June 11 (18,450km)
    previously Vmoto Monaco Apr 09 -Oct 09

*lusting after a GTS, but a few good models for 2013*

Page 3 of 4 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au