Scooter
Community

Why are motorcycle salespeople not interested in sales?

Last post 09-05-2008 07:33 PM by Lil'Mamma. 28 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-03-2008 10:43 AM

Why are motorcycle salespeople not interested in sales?

I know there must be some fantastic motorcycle dealerships out there, but I have visited four in the last two days with my wife and the sales people just avoided us like the plague. In contrast, in the past when I have gone into scooter stores the sales people are usually pretty friendly and interested in selling their scooters.

Also, only one (BikeBiz, Parramatta) out of six motorcycle dealers has responded to e-mail inquiries, whereas four out of five scooter dealers have responded immediately.

I'm visiting BikeBiz today! This is partly just to cheer myself up while waiting for my leg to heal. But it's also to take a serious look at their motorbikes and their Yamaha T-MAX !!!!

COOL!

Mack Truck
  • 07-03-2008 11:03 AM In reply to

• Scott
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • Brisbane South
    • Posts 1,702

Re: Why are motorcycle salespeople not interested in sales?

I think this has something to do with the market at the moment. Motorcycles are an established market that is experiencing growth due to petrol prices and they are a bit "high and mighty" about it.

Whereas the Scooter market is experiencing the same growth (if not bigger) but it is not as established a market and therefore most of the dealers are keen and prepared to make the most of every opportunity given to them.  They want to have a market that is established as Honda, Yamaha, Ford or Holden.

I have bought on-line from BikeBiz and yes, they are pretty professional.  I know where I would rather be, with you window shopping or here in the office!

Not Fair!!!!! Wink

Wife first, scooters and birds second.
    Got to remember that order......

The 125cc Bug Agility is rather ill, may be terminal so onto the Mighty Mio 100!
  • 07-03-2008 11:07 AM In reply to

• Pegasus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-18-2007
    • Kingsley, Perth. WA
    • Posts 1,041

I totally agree with you. I've walked into bike shops and found the service pretty much non-existent. I've thought about it and I think that I don't have the right look to want to buy a bike.

Maybe I should grow a long beard and get myself some tatoos... or maybe even grow a ponytail.Wink

Ride safely everyone.
    Piaggio X8 250ie
    38,000km
  • 07-03-2008 11:14 AM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

i think motorcycle guys feel comfortable selling bikes , they like them as they go fast and they talk about them and live and breathe them. Most sales guys became sales guys cause they like bikes and now that they work in a dealership they get to ride lots and lots of bikes......

now turn this into selling a scooter and all that go fast appeal and bragging to your mates just went out the window....

Now compare this to the scooter dealer and normally the person replying is the person who has a passionate interest in scooters or may even own the joint.

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 07-03-2008 11:32 AM In reply to

We love what we do, and don't take ourselves too seriously. You'll regularly find me on the pink mio!! We're passionate about our scoots, and want people to share our passion.

Motorbike shop staff are simply "employed"...

Tassie's number one scooter dealer.

www.scootershoplaunceston.com.au

info@scootershoplaunceston.com.au
  • 07-03-2008 01:14 PM In reply to

• E2W
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-21-2008
    • Fitzroy North Melbourne
    • Posts 482

One of the biggest issues with the motorcycle/scooter industry is the low wages and poor conditions. From what I've seen in my time in the industry most people in the bike game dont earn more than around $40k a year plus training and development of staff is none existant. You get lots of energetic people start working in bike shops who over time just get burnt out by it all and move on. Its a sad situation. 

Everything Two Wheels

www.everythingtwowheels.com.au
  • 07-03-2008 02:10 PM In reply to

ColdCola:
    I'm visiting BikeBiz today!

Ask for Blake. He was pretty helpful when I was looking at the Cygnus. Unfortunately they didn't have any Cygnus demos in when I went a couple of months ago, but they had two on the floor last Saturday, dang it (I assume one of these is a demo). He organised a ride for me anyway (on a Bee Wee - it was great!). I know what you're talking about in regards to motorcycle salespeople though. I had a terrible experience at another Yamaha dealer.

I actually bought some of my gear from them last Saturday and they were very helpful (and patient) as I was deciding what I was after.

Riding the Derbi GP1 250 - "The Grin Machine!"
  • 07-03-2008 02:13 PM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

MMR:
    One of the biggest issues with the motorcycle/scooter industry is the low wages and poor conditions. From what I've seen in my time in the industry most people in the bike game dont earn more than around $40k a year plus training and development of staff is none existant. You get lots of energetic people start working in bike shops who over time just get burnt out by it all and move on. Its a sad situation. 

good comment and very true  

I should say though that there are some really good bike/scooter sales people out there and it doesnt some them all up to say they would prefer to be selling bikes

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 07-03-2008 02:24 PM In reply to

• RHINO62
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-28-2007
    • Dalby Qld
    • Posts 262

Its all about customer service - some people should just not be allowed to deal with customers.

You could take the good sales person out of one business, teach them the new products & they would still be good sales people in the new business.

That's my experience anyway.

1st Scooter Daelim S-Five
    Next Scooter ???
  • 07-03-2008 02:29 PM In reply to

Two things. 

1) As Cam said, scooter guys care about the product, most motorbike guys don't. They are likely to tell you what you want to hear, rather than what you need to know.

2) It takes longer to sell a scooter than it does to sell a motorbike, therefore if you are a salesman you don't want to tie yourself up with a scooter buyer for an hour and a half when you could be selling to a bike buyer for half the time and making more commission.  

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 07-03-2008 02:53 PM In reply to

You've all made excellent points.

But I'm also talking about motorcycle dealers who are not interested in selling me a motorcycle!!!

Mack Truck
  • 07-03-2008 03:01 PM In reply to

Thankfully BikeBiz were different. I had two salesmen who spoke knowledgeably and helpfully about the Yamaha T-MAX. They even helped me sit on it, despite my fractured leg!

I was thoroughly impressed with them as a dealer and with the T-MAX. I'd love to test ride it, but it will be a month or so until I am able to do that.

I was also able to look at a Scarabeo 250 and a Vespa GTS 250. What a great day out!!! Pity my wife didn't enjoy the experience to the same degree. (Not a fan of scooters or of the idea of me upgrading....)

Mack Truck
  • 07-03-2008 03:06 PM In reply to

ColdCola:
    my wife didn't enjoy the experience to the same degree. (Not a fan of scooters or of the idea of me upgrading....)

Not surprised, you haven't had the current one for that long.  

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 07-03-2008 03:40 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

The best salesperson we have come across (apart from Brendon), was the chick at Morgan and Wacker.  She was knowlegable, helpful, not pushy, encouraging, gave us information without pushing for it (pamphlets etc).

I said to my husband "a chick selling Harley's" and his comment was "well at first I thought,this wont be any good, but she knew her ***, and gave us everything we needed, without hassling, or being rude or pushing a sale"

2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 07-03-2008 03:40 PM In reply to

.................very simply because 80% of people are useless it is entirely likely that 80% of bike salesman are useless.

Just walk away and choose your dealer/salesman first, make them audition for your custom, then choose the thing you want to buy (this applies to anything)

Scooters - for men who dont need to over compensate.
Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au