Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
ScooterAccessories

Gilera Runner

Last post 07-17-2008 05:49 PM by steve@ace. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-13-2008 03:34 PM

Gilera Runner

Hello all, I have just joined up and hope you can help me with a question. I have been rinding motorbikes for 10 years and am now thinking of switching to scooters

I have been looking at ads for earlier Gileras. Can anyone tell me the differences (if any) between the:

VXR 180

180 SP

VXR200

also,are you aware if sourcing parts will be difficult for these scooters?

Thanks for any help

• 07-13-2008 06:35 PM In reply to

Re: Gilera Runner

the runner didn't come into australia. try some of the pommy websites. i think a few came as private imports.

argentum melle
  • 07-13-2008 08:07 PM In reply to

Ok,

I thought they were offically imported a few years ago, maybe 01/02?

there does seem to be a few around

• 07-13-2008 08:32 PM In reply to

billiam:

Ok,

I thought they were offically imported a few years ago, maybe 01/02?

there does seem to be a few around

I test rode one at a dealer a few years ago,  so I too thought they were officially imported,  certainly the numbers of the 180 model around even today would seem to support that......   Tongue Tied

Deklan 

“It’s not the destination but the journey”
    Vespa GT200 in Grigio (Smokey Grey)

• 07-13-2008 08:54 PM In reply to

They were officially imported, but not by the current importer.  The 180 was a 2-stroke, the 200 which replaced it a 4-stroke. Not sure about the distinction between the 180 models.   The 2-stroke 180 is a rocket.  Very, very good fun to ride, but if you find one a decent second hand one now, then its longevity will certainly be influenced by spare parts availability.  You can get them, but it might take time...

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 07-13-2008 09:08 PM In reply to

steve@ace:

They were officially imported, but not by the current importer.  The 180 was a 2-stroke, the 200 which replaced it a 4-stroke. Not sure about the distinction between the 180 models.   The 2-stroke 180 is a rocket.  Very, very good fun to ride, but if you find one a decent second hand one now, then its longevity will certainly be influenced by spare parts availability.  You can get them, but it might take time...

Thanks for the info, I have studied a few of the pictures of Runners for sale and it seems the SP has better suspension, it certainly has upside down forks which the VXR doesnt have, I cant see any other differences.

The parts issue is a concern for me, I am looking to move from a Ducati Monster to a scooter and want something fun with good handling, but it does need to be reliable

The Derbi GP1 250 is starting to look very tempting...

• 07-13-2008 09:19 PM In reply to

Italjet Dragster 180 used the same engine and it too is a rocket. There would be good parts availability on the web but you might have to wait or pay more. Check out the Dragster as it is way more trick than the Runner. Youtube usually is a good place to see other people thrashing theirs. I'm pretty sure most body parts would be interchangeable between the 180's and their smaller siblings as well which might keep you on the road longer.

• 07-13-2008 09:28 PM In reply to

billiam:
    The Derbi GP1 250 is starting to look very tempting...

If your money will stretch to a Derbi GP1 250,  and reliability is a major issue, then I'd definitely go for the Derbi.

Deklan 

“It’s not the destination but the journey”
    Vespa GT200 in Grigio (Smokey Grey)

• 07-13-2008 10:19 PM In reply to

Or stick with the Gilera theme and go for a Nexus.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 07-14-2008 10:12 AM In reply to

silverflyer:

the runner didn't come into australia. try some of the pommy websites. i think a few came as private imports.

ok i stand corrected they were imported into australia. i have only seen one in perth and that was a few years ago. i have never seen one on the road yet.

argentum melle
  • 07-14-2008 04:02 PM In reply to

• Scott
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • Brisbane South
    • Posts 1,702

Saw a nice VXR200 at the Rocklea Markets in Brisbane on Saturday morning.  Looked pretty sweet and to me looked like something Derbi could have brought out a few years ago Smile

Wife first, scooters and birds second.
    Got to remember that order......

The 125cc Bug Agility is rather ill, may be terminal so onto the Mighty Mio 100!
  • 07-14-2008 04:30 PM In reply to

I think that you mean, I saw the Derbi GP1 and thought, that's something that Gilera should be bringing out...

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 07-14-2008 04:36 PM In reply to

• Scott
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • Brisbane South
    • Posts 1,702

steve@ace:

I think that you mean, I saw the Derbi GP1 and thought, that's something that Gilera should be bringing out...

Sounds like something for you and Brendon to debate Geeked  I am the first to admit I am far from qualified to start and get technical about scooter heritage Indifferent

Wife first, scooters and birds second.
    Got to remember that order......

The 125cc Bug Agility is rather ill, may be terminal so onto the Mighty Mio 100!
  • 07-14-2008 04:58 PM In reply to

Hehehehe!!  Yes, its of course a totally moot point, and only made to try and wind Brendon up of course.  The GP1 is a cracking looking machine and rides extremely well.  I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised that the same design team create them all, and then brand according to "brand values".   

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 07-14-2008 07:35 PM In reply to

steve@ace:

Or stick with the Gilera theme and go for a Nexus.

A bit big and heavy for what I want,

I looked at the Derbi today, that looks very good. Hopefully I will test ride later in the week, and then who knows? 

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au