Scooter
Community

keeping the scooter safe

Last post 07-15-2008 01:51 PM by Denni. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-13-2008 05:06 PM

keeping the scooter safe

I read the post about Mack........Dusque_runner , I cannot imagine how you feel, I would be shattered if some low life stole Sproket. You are correct....our scooters DO have a personality all their own. And realistically, for some of us..that is our only means of transport, so not only is our scooter stolen, but also our independence, and freedom. And yes, the violation is hard. This gave me the idea for this topic. Some of us (like myself) do not have a garage, or (like myself) even a carport. So, what steps can we take to secure our scooters?

My cousin stored his off road bike along with his two childrens off road bikes at my aunts...main gate was locked, garage was locked, and bikes chained to a hook in the cement floor of the garage. They were stolen. Another cousin, had a (don't know the make size etc) motorbike stolen from his locked garage. He bought it late last year new, cost him $12,000. HE woked for the money to buy it...and some low life decides to just take it.

I live in a high crime area (waves to dozer) and my block slopes down, away from the back of the house. 3 feet from the back fence is a tree. cannot be seen from the gate (which is locked), and because of the down slope, cannot be seen from the bushland behind me (where lots of bored, looking for trouble youth spend time). I have a tarp attached to the fence, I park Sproket between the tree and fence, then cover with an old sheet and tarp comes over and stretchy cords used to hook under, and back to lower rail of the fence. There are lots of cats around, and they liked sleeping on scooter seat...I didn't like that, because I don't want claw marks in the seat. the sheet is to protect paint work etc, and also keep cats off. I put some eucalyptus in a spray bottle with water...and spray the sheet every few days....cats HATE eucalyptus, and will not go anywhere near it.

Would a padlock in the hole in the front disc help? and can anyone come up with other ways of detering would be thieves from taking it?  maybe we can share ideas here, and stop at least some of these low life, bored and selfish thieves from  stealing, rather than earning scooters.

• 07-13-2008 05:12 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

Re: keeping the scooter safe

If people want something they will take it regardless of what efforts you take to protect it.

So I guess you can only do what you feel comfortable with, and insure your bike as well.

Mine gets locked away in my garage at night, so I feel its safe there, and I would never leave it out over night.

I have a labrador statue on my letterbox (it is from a mould of teh guide dog collection dogs), and weighs quite a bit, but some idiots decided last night to knock it off, luckily it landed on the grass and no damage done.

2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 07-13-2008 05:12 PM In reply to

We live in a world where I think sometimes our only coverage is insurance. If Sprocket is not insures, insure Sprocket!

There are good measures to assist in the preventing theft, like disc locks, and using your existing security measure (like steering lock etc.).

If a thief wants something, they will take it.

My Vespa is insured for replacement, so if I ever get the bad furtune to have it knocked off, I will have it replaced.

• 07-13-2008 05:15 PM In reply to

Sproket is insured...with a replacement clause for two years.

• 07-13-2008 05:15 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

Husband and the statue.

Some people are just idiots who will damage things because they dont have them, or are jealous.

• 07-13-2008 05:34 PM In reply to

SproketNan:
    Would a padlock in the hole in the front disc help? and can anyone come up with other ways of detering would be thieves from taking it?  maybe we can share ideas here, and stop at least some of these low life, bored and selfish thieves from  stealing, rather than earning scooters.

yes the padlock would help, but better still, get a proper disclock. With something on the disc, they'll have to pick it up and carry it away. And so you don't forget to remove your disclock before you move away, get a reminder cable. A little curly cable that is only there to remind you of the disclock (and remind would be thieves). Another alternative is the griplock. This is virtually bulletproof, and clamps onto you grip. That way the throttle can't be used, the front brake is applied, and it is super visible. Hope this helps SprocketNan...

Tassie's number one scooter dealer.

www.scootershoplaunceston.com.au

info@scootershoplaunceston.com.au
  • 07-13-2008 05:38 PM In reply to

Dakoda:
    Husband and the statue.

Your statue looks like the guide dogs charity money box from the supermarket Dak. Surely not, Dak.... Did it have any money in it when you nicked it? hehehe...  

Tassie's number one scooter dealer.

www.scootershoplaunceston.com.au

info@scootershoplaunceston.com.au
  • 07-13-2008 05:49 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

the scooter shop:

Dakoda:
    Husband and the statue.

Your statue looks like the guide dogs charity money box from the supermarket Dak. Surely not, Dak.... Did it have any money in it when you nicked it? hehehe...  

Cam it is a guide dog one :)  We used to do collections for them, this one had a crack in it, so they let us keep it.  My dad has used it to make these :)
  • 07-13-2008 05:52 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

I have one of those grip locks, and they are so easy to use.... but I have misplaced the key Embarrassed

• 07-13-2008 06:04 PM In reply to

Hmm I appreciate my lock-it too. It stands out so is discouraging to would be's and that's about all you can do, discourage them. It's reasonably small so it goes everywhere the scooter goes & is locked on whether I'm visiting parents or ducking into the shops quickly. It actually works surprisingly well too. I forgot to take it off the other week when moving the scoot off the centre stand. Once the scoot touched the ground it wouldn't budge, solid as a rock. I suspect though that the brake may be wearing out quicker as there's an occasional squeak now when applying the disc brake. I hadn't thought about the way it would lock the throttle though, brilliant!

I'm a little concerned by the bikes still being stolen after being bolted to the ground though! How did the theives take the bikes? The bolt can't be twisted (mine can't anyway) once the cable is locked in & a locking thingymajig locks the whatsit into the concrete floor so it can't be lifted...

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 07-13-2008 06:09 PM In reply to

SproketNan:

Sproket is insured...with a replacement clause for two years.

Well, as sad as it is, if sprocket gets knocked off, you are covered. Well done, dont risk it. 

• 07-13-2008 08:31 PM In reply to

Unfortunately as stated before if a theif wants you scooter they will get it. I say a scooter being stolen in London. The theives doubled to the area on a scooter, used a can of liquid nitrogen stuff sprayed it on the lock, hit it with a hammer and shattered the lock. 

So in our society unfortunately insurance is the best we can have.

My best half as she is described said why isn't your name scooter geek, see what I have to put up  with, she did let me buy my agility so I do love her. Stick out tongue

Aprilia Scarabeo 250 Whoo Hoo Yehhh!! Now named Seth.
    Agility 125 happy and joyous, now sold by ScooterHQ, thanks guys.
  • 07-13-2008 10:26 PM In reply to

cdhhealing:

Unfortunately as stated before if a theif wants you scooter they will get it. I say a scooter being stolen in London. The theives doubled to the area on a scooter, used a can of liquid nitrogen stuff sprayed it on the lock, hit it with a hammer and shattered the lock. 

Yeah - I must admit when I heard about this, I was gobsmacked.  Whatever next?  But the diagrams on the Xena locks intimate that it is resistant to "ice" which I guess is the cold treatment you describe.  But whatever that liquid nitrogen stuff is, it can't be cheap.  You'd have to do a cost/benefit analysis to work out if it was worth using it to nick a BeeWee Wink 

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 07-14-2008 03:09 PM In reply to

• Scott
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • Brisbane South
    • Posts 1,702

These threads are a reminder that I have been very complacent lately and need to go back to locking the scoot away for the night.  I have just been parking in front of the garage door, in full view of the road, and not even using the disc lock Embarrassed

But I live in a nice part of Brisbane Stick out tongue

Wife first, scooters and birds second.
    Got to remember that order......

The 125cc Bug Agility is rather ill, may be terminal so onto the Mighty Mio 100!
  • 07-14-2008 06:59 PM In reply to

I have had mine stolen twice. Each time it was just local kids, they couldnt get it started so they dumped it.

So then I had had enough. I left the scooter parked outside my place of residence one night, right in the open. It was parked next to a tree, so I ran fishing line from the back of the scoot up into the tree. I attached three wine bottles to the fishing line and positioned them in the tree so they would easily fall and break if the line was made taught. I then smeared grease on the hand grips which I had applied glad wrap to. Basically went out with my mates that night and forgot about it. Came home late and there were three bottles smashed on the footpath and the grease had been 'disturbed' on the hand grips. :)

After door knocking the local area with a burley mate the next morning (including some of the dogier houses where Im sure the said kid/s lived) offering a $100 reward for anyone with 'information' because I wanted to find who messed with my bike. The problem went away, lol, I'm sure these kids think I'm a pyscho now! Now I could almost lkeave a wallet stuffed with cash outside my house and it would still be there the next day.

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au