Scooter
Community

Looks aren't everything, but....what kind of mods could I do?

Last post 07-29-2008 12:30 AM by petegailey. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-28-2008 11:17 AM

Looks aren't everything, but....what kind of mods could I do?

Hi I've done some research and am pretty sure I'll buy the new Daelim S1. I like the machine, the feel of it and it's equipment list. I just don't like it's looks. I had my heart set on either a retro or really curvy body shape but just couldn't find a scooter that had those looks I liked enough (for the money). The Daelim looks awkward and boxy to me. Reminds me of those early 80's scooters. I know, I know once I start riding it and enjoying myself I could care less about the looks. But I did want something I felt proud to park on the street. Choice of colours is a real downer too. Just black, grey and a dull red. So any ideas as to what I could do to kind of "chick" this thing up a bit? Stealth bomber, military-esque aesthetic just wasn't what I was lusting for.
  • 07-28-2008 11:27 AM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

Re: Looks aren't everything, but....what kind of mods could I do?

I own a Bee Wee, one of the ugliest scooters on the market.  But scooters are like people, it's not about looks, its about personality and the journey.  The Bee Wee is chock full of personality and a great ride.

If we all went by looks alone, a lot of people in this forum would have no friends at all, me included.  Go with the ride over the looks.  You will adjust, and will love it.

2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 07-28-2008 11:31 AM In reply to

How much do you want to spend?

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 07-28-2008 11:37 AM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

yeh it would be hard winged to change the current shape and its hard if you like the classic look. So to change it I dont think you will be able to. Add a screen and itts going to look the same. Add other accessories and again it will maintain the shape. Im afraid this is one of the hardest choices to get past. Your right once you start riding you wont care and you will run into alot of people that will actually like that look so over time you might change your mind.

For classic you are limited for choice as classic scoots have far less choice then the modern sporty look. When I was younger I was driven by look and I must say it is an important part as it says a bit about who you are as a person........ Hence the Bee Wee.........hehehe 

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 07-28-2008 12:40 PM In reply to

Well here's the situation. My car was written off and I thought, don't want another one so I'll buy a scoot. My first license was a motorcycle license and I've wanted to be back on a bike ever since. Perfect opportunity to do so. I'm getting $8k for my car. Part of me says "just buy a great scoot for half that, you'll get around, it will do and you'll be happy you spent a small amount" the other part of me says "are you kidding? This is the perfect op to go out and get what you've been lusting after for years. Go on buy what you want not what's sensible. Sensible got you into a car in the first place." The only bike I ever owned was a Suzuki AE50 and I loved the little beast. I rode it places it wasn't designed to go and I just loved having the freedom. But ever since the maxi scooters hit the market I've been in love. Don't ask me why but I love a bike I sit in, rather than on. If you get what I mean. Everytime I see one on the street I swoon. But then again the $10k+ price tag isn't exactly economy. I like the Daelim because it's a small capacity bike that (compared to my body size) is like a maxi. I feel safe on it, I like it's size and space. It grabbed me as soon as I walked into the dealership. I just gravitated towards it and sat on it straight away without looking at the other bikes. The price tag ticks my sensible box and the great reviews tell me it's a good buy if not a bargain. It's also a good choice for the commuting I do. The other bike tugging my heart strings is the Firenze. It's a maxi (albeit a small one) but it's not so huge that it's ridiculously overspecced for my commuting needs. I don't intend to go touring, it is just city commute thing. The first time I ever saw one of these bikes I seriously thought it was an expensive Italian. I love it's looks. But it's at the top of my budget and I wonder if I really will be happy parting with the additional $3k just for some nicer shaped plastic. I suppose what I was really asking is, could I change the colour of the Daelim and put some neat accessories on it to personalise it a bit for less than the price of a Firenze? Should I go sensible or just lash out and get my dream...?
  • 07-28-2008 12:43 PM In reply to

A re spray is going to cost around $600.

Where are you based?

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 07-28-2008 12:59 PM In reply to

Sydney. It's such a pity they changed the body shape on the S1 because the NS125 I quite liked the appearance of.
  • 07-28-2008 01:54 PM In reply to

• Scott
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • Brisbane South
    • Posts 1,702

In your first post on the S1 you said it was a "stunner". Hmm  What changed your mind??

Also, if you like the NS, I am sure there are a few still out there.  I think Scooter HQ still has one.

Wife first, scooters and birds second.
    Got to remember that order......

The 125cc Bug Agility is rather ill, may be terminal so onto the Mighty Mio 100!
  • 07-28-2008 02:43 PM In reply to

Huh? [:^)] Re: Looks aren't everything, but....what kind of mods could I do?

Looking at prettier scoots....In the beginning my mind was totally focused on transport that I need for work. Suddenly being left without a car after 10 years of having one made me panic especially as I lost it the day before beginning a job that required transport. Now that I've got temporary transport and the panic has subsided I guess my priorities are now a little different. I'm beginning to think about wider options and taking the time to find out what's really important in the buying decision. It's not everyday you hand several thousand dollars over
  • 07-28-2008 02:50 PM In reply to

• Scott
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • Brisbane South
    • Posts 1,702

In the 125 range? Huh?

I would say that both the Daelims are pretty fine looking.  Along with the Fly and the Sportcity, you have the most modern looking scooters around.  Not quite as stylish as the Derbi GP1 125 but that is more of a sports machine.

We all have differing tastes. Tongue Tied

Good luck in your search Indifferent

Wife first, scooters and birds second.
    Got to remember that order......

The 125cc Bug Agility is rather ill, may be terminal so onto the Mighty Mio 100!
  • 07-28-2008 03:01 PM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

the S1 or the Firenze in my mind are two totally different scooters. As good as the S1 might be the Firenze will still do more and give you more long term options.

The S1 will be a nimble point to point scooter capable of carving up the city traffic with ease whilst the firenze will give you the option of past the city limits.

The firnze will give you a maxi cruiser type feel as well and a cup holder !

Anyway its personal and about what your wanting as if I look at the S1 up against the firenze I think they are serving two different purposes. And I personally like the look of the S1 over the firenze. But to you its your dream machine. So If you have the funds think you want to do just a bit more and ride the city streets then the firenze does offer you all of that and the owners here that have had them have all been happy with the firenze.  

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 07-28-2008 05:28 PM In reply to

• Nath
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-04-2008
    • Posts 37

I dont understand, I have purchased 2 scooter in about 6 months. Each time I spent an eternity in just about every scooter shop in Melbourne. In my experience there are that many scooters in so many price ranges and styles that we are spoilt for choice. From Vmoto, to Bug to Yamaha, to Vespa, Gilera and all the dozens of options in between. There really is something for everyone in all price ranges. The even better part is from my research and from reading forums 95% of what is on the market is really good stuff relative to the prices put on them. If I was going for a retro scooter I would definately be looking at the Yammy Vino 125, they look great, well built, go well and are really well priced. But from experience, while looks are important, it is so important to get something that you feel that you are in control of. I bought a Peugeot Jetforce, great scooter but I just dont feel like I have much control over it, it is like being piggy backed really tall drunk french dude who can run really fast. I have just bought a Fuoco and I love it, you cant get me off the bloody thing.

But anyway, thats what I reckon, best of luck and hope you end up with something you love.

Cheers

Fuoco 500ie ohhhhhhhhh yeahhhhhhhhh ....... Pug Jetforce 125, feel the force, out of action
  • 07-28-2008 07:03 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

They sort of look the same sort of.
    Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 07-29-2008 12:30 AM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

Or you could strip it down and make a B-Bone
    Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au