Scooter
Community

Scarabeo 500...Allen? or any other owner?

Last post 03-30-2011 05:36 PM by petegailey. 87 replies.
Page 4 of 6 (88 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-17-2008 10:43 AM In reply to

Re: Scarabeo 500...Allen? or any other owner?

new engine is slightly bigger at 493cc and requires two spark plugs to get a clean cylinder fire. yes it is in the fire truck, should also be in the latest model scaro. also in the pug too.

argentum melle
  • 09-17-2008 12:58 PM In reply to

• miketl
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-08-2007
    • Kingston, Southern Tassie
    • Posts 755

silverflyer:
     new engine is slightly bigger at 493cc and requires two spark plugs to get a clean cylinder fire.

Thanks for clarifying, Allen and Silverflyer.  Certainly an interesting approach.  With electronic ignition there shouldn't be too much of a problem synchronising the firing.  Am not sure how the double spark system likes idling in slow traffic from red light to red light.  One thing I've experienced with the 2006 Scarabeo 500ie is its tendancy to heat up in slow traffic build up.  When the fan cuts in the needle does come back down though, and stays down as soon as clear highway is reached.

I expect the larger 493 engine would shake the mirrors even more too. It's hard to imagine that you can still make the best scooter even better  :o)

Riding an 08 Vespa PX 200, and a 2012 Harley Sportster 883 Superlow
    previously big red Audrey an Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie, an Aprilia Scarabeo 200, and originally a Suzuki F50 Step-through
  • 09-17-2008 01:34 PM In reply to

ColdCola:
    Do you think the Scarabeo 500 is a better scooter than the Tmax 500?

I think they are very different scooters, hard to compare back to back. Tmax is technically superb & a Maxi, Scarabeo isn't, its got good storage still narrow nimble & able to lane split, more of a riders proposition.

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 09-18-2008 12:08 AM In reply to

Thanks, ScooterHQ. I really value your comments. Have you ridden both? Which of them do you prefer personally?

Mack Truck
  • 09-18-2008 10:46 AM In reply to

miketl:

silverflyer:
     new engine is slightly bigger at 493cc and requires two spark plugs to get a clean cylinder fire.

Thanks for clarifying, Allen and Silverflyer.  Certainly an interesting approach.  With electronic ignition there shouldn't be too much of a problem synchronising the firing.  Am not sure how the double spark system likes idling in slow traffic from red light to red light.  One thing I've experienced with the 2006 Scarabeo 500ie is its tendancy to heat up in slow traffic build up.  When the fan cuts in the needle does come back down though, and stays down as soon as clear highway is reached.

I expect the larger 493 engine would shake the mirrors even more too. It's hard to imagine that you can still make the best scooter even better  :o)

it doesn't seem to be a problem idling at the lights. the temperature gauge doesn't move, i will wait and see what happens when it warms up a bit. yes it vibrates a bit, especially at low engine rpm, less than 4000rpm seems to be when the balancer shaft starts working. not a problem on the open road.

love the vibration, it makes the scooter feel aliveSmile

argentum melle
  • 09-18-2008 10:50 AM In reply to

ColdCola:
    Which of them do you prefer personally?

Cola, I am an Aprilia dealer now so the answer is a given but I'll clarify.

I've only had a short ride on a Tmax, I prefer it to the other big Maxi's I've ridden & if you asked me if I preferred the Suzi Burger, Honda Leadwing or Tmax I'd say Tmax. Tmax & Beo are different classes of scoots, personally I like both. If I had to choose I'd go with the Beo as its much cheaper, I prefer the styling too, it's a riders scoot that you connect with rather than commute on & while being capable of comfortably eating the highway K's its still a Scarabeo able to filter traffic without drama.

www.scooterhq.com.au

• 09-18-2008 10:56 AM In reply to

intersting comparsion, i have always admired the t max. i might have to get a test ride soon. but i still love the satelis. it is a booted version of the scarobeo

argentum melle
  • 09-22-2008 06:06 PM In reply to

Scooter HQ:

ColdCola:
    Which of them do you prefer personally?

Cola, I am an Aprilia dealer now so the answer is a given but I'll clarify.

I've only had a short ride on a Tmax, I prefer it to the other big Maxi's I've ridden & if you asked me if I preferred the Suzi Burger, Honda Leadwing or Tmax I'd say Tmax. Tmax & Beo are different classes of scoots, personally I like both. If I had to choose I'd go with the Beo as its much cheaper, I prefer the styling too, it's a riders scoot that you connect with rather than commute on & while being capable of comfortably eating the highway K's its still a Scarabeo able to filter traffic without drama.

Hi ScooterHQ,

Thanks for sharing your views on the two scooters. I think I will have to test ride them, but am leaning more towards the Scarabeo at the moment.

Mack Truck
  • 09-22-2008 09:12 PM In reply to

i went to have a look at the new tmax. it was low and wide.

argentum melle
  • 09-22-2008 11:28 PM In reply to

silverflyer:

Did you think that was a good thing or bad thing? Maybe a low centre of gravity would be advantageous, I don't know.

Mack Truck
  • 09-23-2008 10:22 AM In reply to

silverflyer:

Cool

That comment makes me think of those Japanese style custom maxi's, Tmax would be a good starting point

www.scooterhq.com.au

• 09-23-2008 09:59 PM In reply to

maybe i should have said wide. plus the centre spine is big too.

argentum melle
  • 09-23-2008 11:30 PM In reply to

And what is your response to those observations, Silverflyer? Do you approve?

Mack Truck
  • 09-24-2008 10:27 PM In reply to

i would love a tmax. but i want to test it first. or maybe i don't because then i will be disappointed with it performance.Sad

i would also like to test ride a scarabeo as wll just to compare it to my satelis

argentum melle
  • 10-05-2008 11:33 PM In reply to

• Rodney
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-15-2008
    • Adelaide, South Australia
    • Posts 4

Hi Allen,

I have just taken delivery of a Black 2008 Scarabeo 500 without a test ride, completely unseen. I based my choice upon reviews in scootercommunity and I must say your video convinced me.  My verdict, I love my baby Harley. This is my 5th bike, (3 scooters and 1 road bike), and I love it.

It is the scooter equivalent of a street sleeper. It looks very nice and tame, however it GOES.

I really like the fact that I don't need a top box, as I don't like the look of them, or what they cost. The underseat storage as you have said is very good, however it only just takes my Extra LARGE helmet with a bit a fiddling, but it does fit, (no other scooter I have had came even close). I was also pleased with it's ability to fit a 24 can slab of Cola under the seat with room to spare. I call it the boot.

I have fitted a modified B&D remote door opener with a remote switch mounted below the kill switch, (where the headlight switch provision was blanked off).

I bought mine for $9500 ride away with 12 months registration (in South Australia). My next preferance would have been the Honda SH150i (about $5500 ride away with 12 months Reg). The Honda is excellent, but I knew I would end up getting a bigger bike anyway, so I forked out the extra $4K to be happy.

The only thing I want to change is the windscreen, as it seems to create a lot of turbulance and hence is very noisy. I saw a very small screen on a Scarabeo 250 parked at Arndale Shoping centre (in SA) this week which I liked alot, but I don't know where to get it, and I am also considering going large with the Givi "130A + A130A". Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Safe Riding,

Rodney   o--\o

Page 4 of 6 (88 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au