Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Vespa

parking advice....

Last post 09-02-2008 10:32 AM by Jax. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-29-2008 09:24 AM

parking advice....

Does anyone know the rules on parking on private property that requires crossing a footpath to get there? I am trying to work out where to park at work. The business is a chiro clinic and takes up what was formerly two shops, so we have an unused entrance and not in the way of anyone getting into our actual entrance. it is hard to describe but its not the actual footpath as its a large unused doorway. It is set back from the footpath but would require crossing the footpath to get to it. My boss is happy for me to park sally scooter there when i get her but not sure if i could/would get booked? there are no motorcycle parks nearby and i constantly sit here watching cars back into spaces outside the clinic and hit the car in front and then the car behind... so am no way going to park there... it doesnt come under sydney city council area so we wont benefit from the proposed law changes re scooter parking... for anyone who knows sydney it is willoughby council area (artarmon). for some reason all the motorcycle parking in our area is nowhere near the shops or station, in fact i think the only dedicated motorcycle parking is outside the motorcycle dealerships...

Sally the pink mio has been traded in for a dark blue HD200evo!!!
  • 08-29-2008 09:26 AM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

Re: parking advice....

I'd be parking there.  There is nothing to say you can't!

At least youa re out of the way, and safe.  Give it a go, and see how it works out for you.

2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 08-29-2008 09:38 AM In reply to

Id park there, its off the footpath, and not in the way. If you have any concerns, phone up the local council, and ask them to send out the parking inspector for advice. Show them where you want to park, and then if you get the go ahead, they cant book you, but I am sure it'll be OK.

• 08-29-2008 09:38 AM In reply to

• Scott
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • Brisbane South
    • Posts 1,702

Sounds to me like you are inside the property boundary of the business so therefore if the owner does not care then you should be ok.

City council officers cannot book you for being on private property.

I would park there rather than risk the "day-time shopper" parking disaster!

Wife first, scooters and birds second.
    Got to remember that order......

The 125cc Bug Agility is rather ill, may be terminal so onto the Mighty Mio 100!
  • 08-29-2008 09:43 AM In reply to

its also a great spot for sally - its covered from sun and rain and there's a little light that comes on when it gets dark to show her off!

• 08-29-2008 09:49 AM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

Looks like you have found the perfect parking spot!

2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 08-29-2008 09:55 AM In reply to

• Jax
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-23-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 3,129

If you are wholly within the building line you are okay to park there with owners permission.

If you are crossing a footpath to get there then that's a different law and yes you "could" be booked for riding on a pedestrian thoroughfare. I have to go to a funeral now so I will look up the by-law when I get back tomorrow...
    in the meantime look HERE for more answers on parking

Also - I can help you write a submission to council for dedicated parking spots right outside your work if you like.

Need scooter parking? www.mcnetwork.com.au on the web or on your iPhone or Android phone
    MCNetwork - using Google maps to plot every parking spot, every dealer, every shop - linked to every product for your scooter.

• 08-29-2008 10:08 AM In reply to

• Scott
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • Brisbane South
    • Posts 1,702

And when he comes around, have the Stebel ready just in case Stick out tongue

Wife first, scooters and birds second.
    Got to remember that order......

The 125cc Bug Agility is rather ill, may be terminal so onto the Mighty Mio 100!
  • 08-29-2008 10:11 AM In reply to

Jax:

Also - I can help you write a submission to council for dedicated parking spots right outside your work if you like.

yes please! the same coucil has dedicated spots and quite a lot actually in chatswood, which is next stop on the train. they have also just put a car share spot right outside us, so next to there would be a great place for bike parking as that car is moving from the spot less often than the shoppers cars...
  • 08-29-2008 10:16 AM In reply to

Jax:
    If you are crossing a footpath to get there then that's a different law and yes you "could" be booked for riding on a pedestrian thoroughfare

but they would have to see me do it? and if i get off and walk the scooter across the path is that different?

• 08-29-2008 11:02 AM In reply to

• Tubsta
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-22-2007
    • Secret Test Track, South Gippsland, Australia
    • Posts 1,192

You mentioned doorway.  Ensure the door way is not a designated fire exit.  Just because it is unused, it could still be a fire escape.  Get caught and worksafe etc will have your <fill in your favourite body part>.  If you block a fire exit and people die because they couldn't get out in a fire, off to jail you go.

Best check it out just to be on the safe side.

"Being cold is the result of laziness" - Bunta Fujiwara

Current ride: Yamaha XT660Z Tenere.
    Gone: Piaggio MP3 400ie, too unreliable in the rain (think Italian electrics).

ScooterZine
  • 08-29-2008 11:16 AM In reply to

it's not a fire escape, has a desk blocking the other side and noone knows where the key is to unlock it anyway.... there is space to avoid blocking the door and still get the scoot in there anyway. its quite a big space completely unused... there's also another benefit of the spot, its right outside a clinic room and the door and window are frosted glass, if anyone tried to mess with scoot then the chiropractor would hear and or see something...

• 08-29-2008 11:44 AM In reply to

• Bugman
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2008
    • Sydney Inner West
    • Posts 76

I'm sure you'll be fine. I had my bike parked on the footpath out the front of my house every day for about 2 years as I couldn't get it up the 2 steps (fairing hung too low) into the front yard. Never got a ticket but the footpath is quite wide. There is a Bee Wee parked across the road on the footpath every night too and he has never had a ticket either. Maybe it's just becasue our local council doesn't provide any specific bike parking. It's not like the parking inspectors aren't around, there is a clearway during peak hours out the front of my house and if I forget to move the car before it starts I am guaranteed to have a ticket within 10 mins.(has happened a few times) 

You have to cross a footpath to get into driveways so I can't see a problem with crossing it to get to your sweet sounding spot.

Only a few more weeks till I'll be loving my Agility again. Just hope it still loves me...
  • 08-29-2008 12:24 PM In reply to

I park my bike on private property everyday and need to cross a footpath to get there. Other bike riders ride across the footpath I never do. It would only take one collision with a pedestrian to completely screw your riding career and possibly your life too. Just push it across any pedestrian ways. Afterall as a pedestrian I'd be pretty pissed if I started seeing bikes being ridden on footpaths no matter how carefully or how short the distance. There are rules for a reason and I do think pedestrians have a right to be on a footpath and not contend with bicycles and motorcycles. And another reason, it's better not to bring too much attention to yourself, it only takes one uppity neighbour to complain to council and suddenly your parking spot is gone forever.
  • 09-01-2008 03:02 PM In reply to

• Jax
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-23-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 3,129

purplelou:
    the same coucil has dedicated spots and quite a lot actually in chatswood

You're lucky Purplelou, Willoughby Council is quite receptive to motorcycle parking submissions. [ Hard luck if you live in Blacktown - they are very anti m/c ].

Firstly you need to photograph the space from every angle. Then measure the spot and figure out how many bikes can fit. The standard says 1.2m per bike but we always squeeze far more bikes in as long as they don't mark them up into individual spaces.
    The aim is to get free, untimed dedicated m/c parking preferably in "unused" space [ it's harder to get them to hand over a car spot to m/c ].
    Take particular note of No Stopping zones, Loading zones and Disabled parking zones.
    Are the car spots around it timed or untimed?
    Are there any clearway or resident parking issues?
    If there are sightline* issues then this is a huge bonus.

Also, see if there is another spot close by which could hold more bikes which would also be suitable. If you put the submission in with 3 or 4 areas marked up, you are much more likely to get 1 or 2 of them.

Write a short piece for each area stating what the ratio in the area is, why the area needs m/c parking, how often it would be used (ie business hours only or residential as well). Keep it precise, sticking only to known facts.
    Put in a submission for each spot separately - that way you can make reference to each one by submission number. It also allows them to approve one and not reject all.
    Each should be two A4 pages max: title, your reference number, precise street location, diagrams, photos and explanation why.
    Post it directly to the Traffic Dept in the council. Ring up and find out who is responsible for new parking spots and always talk to them only.
    Two weeks after the submission, ring and get a date for when the engineers will come and survey the spot.
    Two weeks after that find out when Traffic committee is sitting and see if your submission is on the agenda.

This whole process can take as little as 2 months but more likely 3-4 months.

*Sight lines:  these are spots in between two driveways or at the end of street intersections. If you can prove that a car exiting from a driveway can't see oncoming traffic if a big white van were parked in a particular spot then this is perfect reason for m/c parking. Ditto for approaches to pedestrian crossings.
    I'll see if I can dig up some photos as examples.

Need scooter parking? www.mcnetwork.com.au on the web or on your iPhone or Android phone
    MCNetwork - using Google maps to plot every parking spot, every dealer, every shop - linked to every product for your scooter.

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au