Scooter
Community

Reflectors for night riding.

Last post 09-02-2008 10:20 AM by Pegasus. 35 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (36 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-30-2008 08:42 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

Re: Reflectors for night riding.

This is the stuff. SOLAS tape from a marine supplies store - $9.99 per metre. http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=144&item=191304&intAbsolutePage=1
    Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 08-30-2008 08:44 PM In reply to

And the night photo of scoot with the helmet? Where's that? Big Smile
    Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 08-30-2008 08:58 PM In reply to

I look at it this way - the human mind's number 1 objective is survival. That cager sitting at the lights will see the oncoming 2 tonne truck not just because it's big, but also because his survival depends on it. That 100 kg scooter is no threat, so if this driver is tired and running on auto-pilot, the scooter rider is going to be fairly insignificant in his eyes. So, if he is not going to see something it'll most likely be the non-threatening scooter.

A cheery thought indeed. I need a bull-bar.

Mio 100 called Nellie (little nell).
  • 08-30-2008 09:02 PM In reply to

I'm thinking of pimping my ride up Bollywood style with the 12V poweroutlet onboard and some fairylights. Flashing or non-flashing? Maybe I should get some speakers installed in the boot so I can lift the hatch and blast out some musical hits on the road.
  • 08-30-2008 09:06 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

I'll get a proper one taken one day {night}.Looks good with the flash eh?
    Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
  • 08-30-2008 09:11 PM In reply to

Maybe, but I think it's got as much to do with conditioning as anything. As car drivers we're trained to look for other cars, which have headlights in a particular spot & are a certain size, we're not trained to look for something that is under a metre wide. Which is why I will always try to stop at a traffic light directly behind a car's brake light on the off chance that while the cager behind may have not seen me, they will have seen the brake light they were trained & conditioned to look out for.

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 08-30-2008 09:19 PM In reply to

plenty of them, unfortunately, the mind begins to boggle at the choice the sheer volume of options,l available with lumination these days..Devil

• 08-30-2008 09:19 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

The best trick Ive found to being noticed on the road is the look like a cop game that I play sometimes...with a silver scoot, a silver helmet, black leather jacket and yellow green fluro vest...it's great!..every road user has a inate gene which will spot the cop. even if they are hiding behind the bushes, Dressed in this kit everyone spots you a mile off and they will often hit the brakes until they see the stars.
  • 08-30-2008 09:24 PM In reply to

ScootaChic:

Maybe, but I think it's got as much to do with conditioning as anything. As car drivers we're trained to look for other cars, which have headlights in a particular spot & are a certain size, we're not trained to look for something that is under a metre wide. Which is why I will always try to stop at a traffic light directly behind a car's brake light on the off chance that while the cager behind may have not seen me, they will have seen the brake light they were trained & conditioned to look out for.

That's interesting. You sound like a thinker, ScooterChic. 

• 08-30-2008 09:30 PM In reply to

Cool stars Pete.
  • 08-30-2008 09:33 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

madbrad:

Cool stars Pete.
    Cool avatar madbrad
  • 08-30-2008 09:37 PM In reply to

sometimes people can go too far with reflectives they are quite distractive in their own right perhaps the helmet with stars is a little close... welcome your thoughts... my moto is pretty much black mat has reflector's either side i think it's enough, i don't ride in blind spots, and allway see vehicles before they see me....as riders will allways do.. please correct me  i am wrong, i rode through intence traffic earlier today all the lights in the`world, would have only been a fleeting view for most mororists

Wink,

• 08-31-2008 11:01 AM In reply to

petegailey:
    The best trick Ive found to being noticed on the road is the look like a cop game that I play sometimes...with a silver scoot, a silver helmet, black leather jacket and yellow green fluro vest...it's great!..every road user has a inate gene which will spot the cop. even if they are hiding behind the bushes, Dressed in this kit everyone spots you a mile off and they will often hit the brakes until they see the stars.

yes i like to do that on the satelis, especially when i wear the tilt up helmet. 

argentum melle
  • 08-31-2008 11:13 AM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

Im not saying that being lit up like a christmas tree is going to totally protect me. Im still very careful about blind spots and employ what I've learnt about defensive riding and I always assume that I havn't been seen. But I am prepared to look like a nerd in fluros if it is going to help. The other night I was riding in the dark and in the rain and a 4WD driver informed me that my taillight was out and that he had trouble seeing me. I was glad that I had my reflective gear on. Its hard to work out how well it shines 100 metres away in a following cars headlights. Im still not sure about the stars either. In the day they are the same colour as the helmet. I dont even know if they catch the headlights as they are a fair way above the road surface. But all the road workers wear reflectives. Its got to help.
  • 09-01-2008 04:09 PM In reply to

• Scott
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • Brisbane South
    • Posts 1,702

We renew our safety helmets at work every 2 years and they get short strips of highly reflective tape very similar to the Solas tape that Pete was talking about to put on them.

I have put some on the Agility and it works a treat however you need lights on the stuff for it to reflect back.  The stuff will not help if the car turns out in front of you and their headlights are not shining in your direction. 

Maybe a second battery and a big set of Hella spotlights will brighten up the front of the scoot a bit Big Smile

Wife first, scooters and birds second.
    Got to remember that order......

The 125cc Bug Agility is rather ill, may be terminal so onto the Mighty Mio 100!
Page 2 of 3 (36 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au