Scooter
Community

Check Your Tyre Pressure!

Last post 10-09-2008 03:18 PM by Drebin. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-01-2008 08:15 PM

Check Your Tyre Pressure!

It looks like I rode over 250km on Monday on a flat front tyre! I had topped up the air at the service station but had some trouble with the faulty hose obviously meaning that air had leaked out. The funny thing is that of the boys I asked about my experiences - feeling sluggish on the bends, vibrating handlebars & odd noise, none thought it could be due to a flat tyre! To think of the distances & speeds we rode at! On a tyre that today was holding under 20PSI when it should have been 36PSI. OUCH!

I am woman! Hear my scooter roar! LOL

As Tekema2 said to me on messenger - Atleast the LG is still reliable on a flat tyre.

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 10-01-2008 08:29 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

Re: Check Your Tyre Pressure!

You'll only ever do that once!

ps I've done the same thing

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 10-01-2008 08:37 PM In reply to

you gotta watch out for that! I ride on 17psi front, 25psi rear... :)
    Vespa PX200 "Killer Wasp" - now on a street near you
  • 10-01-2008 08:50 PM In reply to

• scootergeek
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-22-2008
    • Perth (SOR), Western Australia
    • Posts 70

Had that experience, stopped at a petrol station, air pump wasn't helping; their compressor hadn't been turned on that morning !!

Thanks to someone in the riding group  for quizzing the attendant.

Kymco Agility 125cc
  • 10-01-2008 09:15 PM In reply to

ScootaChic:

It looks like I rode over 250km on Monday on a flat front tyre! I had topped up the air at the service station but had some trouble with the faulty hose obviously meaning that air had leaked out. The funny thing is that of the boys I asked about my experiences - feeling sluggish on the bends, vibrating handlebars & odd noise, none thought it could be due to a flat tyre! To think of the distances & speeds we rode at! On a tyre that today was holding under 20PSI when it should have been 36PSI. OUCH!

I am woman! Hear my scooter roar! LOL

As Tekema2 said to me on messenger - Atleast the LG is still reliable on a flat tyre.

LG front tyre should only be 25psi - rear 32psi.    If you are carrying a passenger - 32 for front, 36 for rear.

Over-inflated tyres can be dicy too because there is less surface contact point.  Carry your own tyre gauge. The one on the servo pump is almost guaranteed to be inaccuarate.

• 10-01-2008 09:23 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

That's a bit embarrasing but I bet you have learnt something from it

2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 10-01-2008 09:59 PM In reply to

muzzie:
    LG front tyre should only be 25psi - rear 32psi.    If you are carrying a passenger - 32 for front, 36 for rear.

Really? Info on the tyre states 36/40 (MAXXI Tubeless)

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 10-01-2008 10:00 PM In reply to

Dakoda:
    That's a bit embarrasing but I bet you have learnt something from it

Sure did! Trust my own instincts regardless of what the boys say! Wink

Wanda
  • 10-01-2008 10:21 PM In reply to

There's a tyre placard just below the coolant window with the recomended pressures, also in the manual.  I think the numbers on the tyre are just for the max permissible psi, not neccesarily the recommended.   

• 10-01-2008 10:52 PM In reply to

muzzie:

There's a tyre placard just below the coolant window with the recomended pressures, also in the manual.  I think the numbers on the tyre are just for the max permissible psi, not neccesarily the recommended.   

correct Muzzie.

Tassie's number one scooter dealer.

www.scootershoplaunceston.com.au

info@scootershoplaunceston.com.au
  • 10-02-2008 06:48 AM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

So do you go by what your tyre says or what the book says.

And what if you dont have the standard tyres on the bike which it came with?

2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 10-02-2008 09:06 AM In reply to

i had a faulty tyre pump that wouldn't pump any air into the tyre but it was leaking air everytime i tried to pump up the tyre so i rode around the corner on tyre with low pressure . my god it was terrible. woldn't turn, the tread was moving underneath you as you rode.

argentum melle
  • 10-02-2008 09:48 AM In reply to

Dakoda:

So do you go by what your tyre says or what the book says.

And what if you dont have the standard tyres on the bike which it came with?

Go by the book Dak. If your aftermarket tyres are the same spec as original, then stick with the book. If they are different spec to original, check with the guys that fitted them -I'm guessing Brendo at ScootieHQ, they'll clear it up for you. But the book is a good indicator...

Tassie's number one scooter dealer.

www.scootershoplaunceston.com.au

info@scootershoplaunceston.com.au
  • 10-02-2008 10:10 AM In reply to

Dakoda:
    So do you go by what your tyre says or what the book says

Definately book. Scoots often have different pressures due to design factors like weight distribution. A rear heavy scoot will often run a softer front pressure than "usual" for extra grip (like 26psi) & higher rear (like 34psi). Tyre pressure guide on the tyre is a guide for the tyre, the book is what the factory has teseted & found best for that specific scoot.

What tyre pressure you run is also a way of fine tuning the scoot to your personal needs. I adjust mine all  the time to suit what I'm doing. If I want to go for a twisty mountain blast of the GP1 I'll loose 2 Psi in each tyre for grip, for commuting just standard settings & highway work I'll add 1-2 Psi for less rolling resistance & longer wear.

Have a play with the pressures, you will be surprised by the different feel you get with a couple of psi here or there. Remember never trust the service station gauge (get your own, every scooter rider should have one) & check the pressures with a cold tyre if possible.

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 10-02-2008 10:38 AM In reply to

• Blam
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-25-2008
    • Nowhere near you, thank God.
    • Posts 437

It's very important you get the tyre pressure right and you check it every month at least.

Under or over inflating the tyre will cause bad handling, greater fuel consumption and much more tyre wear.

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au