Scooter
Community

Sydney "Coz We Can" Ride

Last post 07-24-2017 06:10 PM by gaz. 4846 replies.
Page 265 of 324 (4847 items) « First ... < Previous 263 264 265 266 267 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-26-2013 09:12 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

Re: Sydney "We Ride COZ We Can" THUR 26 DEC

That sounds like a sweet ride Eccles. It would have been a good test for "Ooops!" I took a run at about 3pm, couldn't let the day get away completely without a ride.

Kicked over the RZ and headed for the Old Rd. The freeway to Berowra was chockers but as soon as I peeled off it was two wheeled heaven. I had the Old Rd pretty well to myself, the cafe's were shut, and only a handful of riders were out there. Beautiful afternoon light, dry roads, just a great way to take it easy, and get to analyse how the RZ handles this interesting piece of road. On this 250cc 2 stroke you have to keep in the powerband which means rarely getting  beyond third up the winding ridge. If you can stay in the band the RZ is a fiesty beast that eats the hill. Its also surprisingly good at powering on through tight twisties and holding its line with confidence. That makes me more confident in pushing it harder. Im really looking forward to some new tyres, and some maintanence on the suspension and brakes. Not that any of these are bad, but when a bike hasnt be used much these areas need to be checked. The RZ was running pretty smoothly today, especially on the way out. It really prefers the open road to the stop start of the burbs. It also seemed to appreciate the milder wheather. The hardest bit about riding it now is taking off from the lights. It has a very sensitive clutch which means getting the revs up, feathering the clutch  to keep the revs up without lifting the front wheel, its either that or getting bogged. Everytime I take it out I learn more about riding. Older bikes/ scooters can teach us heaps.

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 12-27-2013 07:01 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

Re: Sydney "We Ride COZ We Can" FRI 27 DEC JAX IS BACK

petegailey:
    Jax and I are meeting up tomorrow morning for a gentle romp up the Old Road.
    Well Eccles joined us on his daughters GT200 Jax on Mrs Mac and I rode the Gilera Runner, which gave us a trio of scoots for a gentle romp up the Old Road to see where we would end up. 1st stop was the Pie where we had coffee and caught up with Jax's adventures on the Postie. Also caught up with Crazy Cam. When I asked Jax where she wanted to ride to she said all she wanted was to finish up through Galston Gorge. Only two options there, the quick way by turning back to Berowra Waters and doing the Dural loop, or the long way, north to Central Mangrove then down to Wisemans Ferry and back thru Glenorie and Galston. It was early so despite the goat track from Mangrove Mountain to Wisemans the long way was duely taken. Stopped at Spencer for a burger, refueled at Wisemans, then we decided on the very narrow but very pretty River Rd through to Lower Portland. This is a real gem of a road that twists and turns along the upper Hawkesbury. From Lower Portland we headed up the ridge to the Stonehouse Cafe but I gave Jax misleading directions and we lost her. She eventually found us but decided to ride on and pop in and see Gary at Hornsby Heights. Eccles and I decided to come home via Berowra Waters Ferry. It turned out to be another excellent 270k day ride despite the Gilera being challenged by the bumpy back roads. I was fiddling with softening the damper and the preloads to get a smoother ride but it just made it worse, so I ended up tightening everything back up and by the time we were back on the good tarmac the scoot was behaving it self again. Thanks Eccles and Jax, another great COZ WE CAN ride.

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
  • 12-27-2013 09:02 PM In reply to

• Eccles
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-25-2008
    • Lane Cove, Sydney
    • Posts 317

Thanks Pete & Jax, really enjoyed the ride, Lis's GT200 proved lots of fun out of the city boundaries.

I managed to snap a few phone piccies as well..

Pete spoke of the West head Rd when at the Stonehouse Cafe, so on my return home switched wheels and added a few more K's to the R for a good twilight run..

--------------------------------------------------
    Current Rides..
    14 BMW R1200RT LC
    16 BMW R1200R
  • 12-27-2013 09:58 PM In reply to

• Jax
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-23-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 3,129

Pete and his harem.

TOP DAY!! Thanks Pete and Elliot

Need scooter parking? www.mcnetwork.com.au on the web or on your iPhone or Android phone
    MCNetwork - using Google maps to plot every parking spot, every dealer, every shop - linked to every product for your scooter.

• 12-28-2013 02:20 PM In reply to

• CrazyCam
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-15-2013
    • Beecroft, NSW
    • Posts 211

Ah, now it makes sense.

After talking to Jax, Pete and Eccles at the Pie, my wife was driving me daft to point out Eccles' new BMW, but we couldn't see it.

Obvious... once you realise he was riding something else.  Smile

Warning: Posting may contain traces of sarcasm and/or nuts.

regards, CrazyCam
  • 12-29-2013 12:35 AM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

Re: Sydney "We Ride COZ We Can" SAT 28 DEC

Took a spin up the Old Rd on the RZ this afternoon to meet up with Tony and Merrily at Somersby before heading down to Umina to check out the shed. The traffic north was horrible, the freeway was a carpark so I jumped off at Mt Colah but heaps of cars were doing the same thing and I got stuck behind a line of em on the Old Rd, frustrating but it made sure I was under the speed limit, well under. It was late by the time I started back, the sun was setting by the time I got into the bush and the angels were paying me for my patience earlier in the day as I had the Old Rd totally to myself and I was able to put the RZ into the corners quickly. Im amazed at how well this bike handles, despite the shitty tyres, and its age, you can still feel its racing pedigree, it just sticks like glue thru the tight stuff and I was able to keep it in the power zone for extended periods, it absolutely shot up the hill to the Pie, a real exciting ride. As my confidence builds so does my appreciation for this fine motorcycle. Tony doesnt like 2 strokes much, he thinks they're for 18 year olds, dirty, noisy and uneconomical and not for mature 21st C riders and yes he's right... but they are addictive, and when things are running smoothly they make me feel 18 all over again.

Tomorrow I'm heading up the Mid North Coast on my annual summer romp so I'll be missing some CWC rides for the next 2 weekends, and yes Tony, I'll be taking a four stroke.

• 12-29-2013 11:16 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

Re: Sydney "We Ride COZ We Can" SUN 29 DEC

Gale force winds, cool for summer I decided to launch the f800r and shake the gravitational pull of the city  and head north. Started along the congested freeway then down the old rd with Eccles as my wingman. Stopped at road warriors for eye candy and coffee before he peeled off and I rode on solo down yarramalong and back on the freeway to Raymond terrace for lunch and fuel. Peeled off and did the obligatory wootton way north of bulahdelah then back on the freeway, Past taree I tried a side road and ended up in waruchope tried another back road and 60ks later I'm hopelessly lost up some valley surrounded by mountains. When the road turned to gravel I turned around and retraced my steps before finding the hwy again at telegraph point. From there it was a quick run into kempsy and out to sw rocks. Despite going 120ks up and down a dead end valley it was a pretty good bike road and it broke the monotony of the hwy. Got in just before dark. Its nice to be out of town. Its the first time I've toured on the f800 and it did it really well not that that is surprising. We do this stuff while we can, coz we van

• 12-30-2013 12:48 AM In reply to

• Eccles
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-25-2008
    • Lane Cove, Sydney
    • Posts 317

What's a Pete post without some pics..Wink

Two Beema boys, racked & packed.

Pete heads off..

--------------------------------------------------
    Current Rides..
    14 BMW R1200RT LC
    16 BMW R1200R
  • 12-30-2013 10:54 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

Thanks Eccles,

You're a top wingman. I'm stuck up here without an internet connection so no way to post pics until I can get back online. Ah how addicted I am to the net. Happy new year every one, at least phatVespa will smell the gunpowder.

• 12-31-2013 01:20 PM In reply to

• Jax
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-23-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 3,129

Re: Sydney "We Ride COZ We Can" Tour de Syd

THIS is what a real beach looks like

Need scooter parking? www.mcnetwork.com.au on the web or on your iPhone or Android phone
    MCNetwork - using Google maps to plot every parking spot, every dealer, every shop - linked to every product for your scooter.

• 12-31-2013 05:18 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

petegailey:
    Stopped at road warriors for eye candy and coffee

petegailey:
    tried another back road and 60ks later I'm hopelessly lost up some valley surrounded by mountains.

petegailey:
    Its the first time I've toured on the f800 and it did it really well

• 01-01-2014 11:47 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

Re: Sydney "We Ride COZ We Can" WED 1st JAN 2014

First ride of the year, rode up to Macksville to visit some dear friends. Quick 60k up the Hwy then into the hinterland.  27C, Not much traffic but double demerits ment that my eye was obsessively checking the speedo. Nice riding conditions.

• 01-02-2014 10:52 PM In reply to

petegailey:

Its the first time I've toured on the f800 and it did it really well not that that is surprising. 

Geez mate I remember riding at Snowy 2012 on my F800R and had an absolute blast. It does surprise me that this is your first trip away on the orange beastie....!

Hey it does look great in the photos, orange really suits the style of bike. Beemer should make the F800R their out there bike and sell it in wild colours and trim....forget black, white etc go for fire engine red, magenta, cyan, flouro pink

Life without a Tmax is possible, but would almost be useless…
  • 01-04-2014 08:49 PM In reply to

• Jax
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-23-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 3,129

Re: Sydney "We Ride COZ We Can" SUN 5 JAN

I'm off to Brooklyn to do brekky with Ulysses tomorrow morn at 9am. Then heading north up the Old Road to go visit relos in Newcaastle. Anyone welcome to tag along.

• 01-05-2014 12:05 AM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

Re: Sydney "We Ride COZ We Can" SUN 5 JAN

I think the rest of em are going on the Girls Ride Out down to Towradgi Beach near Wollongong. Meeting at Redfern Park 8am

Date: Sunday 5th January, 2014
    Meet: Caltex (Woolworths) Servo, 1344 Princes Highway, HEATHCOTE
    Destination: Towradgi Park Bowls & Recreation Club, TOWRADGI

Time: 9.30am for a 10.00am departure

Map link: http://tinyurl.com/GRO-Jan-2012

Page 265 of 324 (4847 items) « First ... < Previous 263 264 265 266 267 Next > ... Last »

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au