Scooter
Community

Not A Happy Chappy

Last post 09-01-2013 09:31 AM by pyrah. 30 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (31 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-02-2012 04:01 PM In reply to

Re: Not A Happy Chappy

wombat:

+1 to the Hot Wheels radar gun. I've got one, and they're pretty well spot on, or they read 3 Km/h - depends on what they pick up, I suppose.

+1 also think it was about $35 is a toy shop a few years back also about 3 km/h out Yes

• 10-02-2012 05:55 PM In reply to

pyrah:

How far out was it ? as speedometers from 2006 (excluding mopeds) under adr 18/03 not allowed to read under the posted speed . But can read a maximum of 10% + 4 kp/h higher than the posted speed 

Before that speedometers could read + or - 10% of posted speed  

Think odometers are still allowed to be + or - 4% out Geeked

It was showing 20 over.

When I just got the bike I was wondering why people were going around me and giving me strange looks, until I went passed one of those road works speed signs. 

The second speedo was showing 10 over. When I went to have the third one fitted, the mech said that he'd been looking at the ADR and it says 10% + 8.  

Anyway, I'm happy with the new one.  Only took 11months to get it sorted.

Kymco Xciting 500Ri ( About to sell )
  • 10-02-2012 05:58 PM In reply to

I checked my speedo out with a roadworks radar. The speed limit on the F3 was 80kph where they were working, and a big sign told you what you were doing as you approached. So I set my speedo to 90 kph to make sure I was over the limit, and the sign said I was doing 85.

Now I would like to know if the error is proportional, ie 42.5 when the speedo says 45, 113 when the speedo says 120, or else constant, ie 5 when I am standing still! I expect there is a mixture of zero-error and proportional error. 

Zero error would be easy to fix, by shifting the needle on its shaft, but fixing proportional error would mean adjusting the tension in the needle return spring. Either way, it is a real hassle geting to the works of the instrument panel.

Mike  

• 10-02-2012 07:23 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

Mike and all other vespa owners, have you noticed that there is no 10k/h on the Vespa speedos, it goes straight from 0 to 20. Thats why i think mines nearly 10k/h optimistic right across the range according to a GPS I strapped to it once. The odometer was pretty close to being correct.  Every speedo Ive ever checked on any scooter has been about 10k/h optimistic except the Xciting which was 20 plus k/h out. Some speedos show the same error right across the board, others were exponential

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 10-02-2012 07:34 PM In reply to

I really think that people should get a SpeedoHealer if they want accurate readings.  It features a by-pass if you need to have it on for one reason or another.

http://www.healtech-electronics.com/

My Daelim was 10k+ optimistic

• 10-02-2012 08:12 PM In reply to

Are they for electronic speedometers as mines mechanical ? . My car reads 8 kp/h & the bike 4 kp/h slow at all speeds . So just just had that on to my speed to keep to legal maximum Smile 

• 10-03-2012 12:31 PM In reply to

Yeah, I think electronic only.  Oh well.

Maybe you can rigg up some after market thing.

• 10-03-2012 01:24 PM In reply to

You can get speedometer gear-drive correctors Smile

• 10-03-2012 01:26 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

There is always the tipp-ex solution. Borrow a GPS, calibrate the speedo and mark the real speeds with a tipp-ex white out pen. Doesnt cost much and it works.Smile

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 11-12-2012 03:59 PM In reply to

piaggio speedos are the worst!

my GTS300 was 10% + 4km out

wow it can do almost 150km/h indicated LOL in actual fact they are electronically limited to 122km/h for the 250 and 300 via rev limiter

what i did is pull the speedo apart and ride at a constant speed via GPS and then pulled the needle off and stuck it back on in the correct spot, it took a few tries but is now 100% spot on, well 2km out @ 100km but i can ride @ 100km/h indicated and not be a speed hump on the freeway

interestingly the odometer was prettymuch spot on... my method takes a couple of hours and is well worth it and now it does not give me the shits like it used to

and regarding accuracy the best bike i had was a honda, everythign else almost 10% out the honda 2%

• 11-14-2012 04:05 PM In reply to

$155 for a speedohealer or your free option and risk falling off you rbike at 100k/hr, Hmm. Tongue Tied

• 11-14-2012 07:21 PM In reply to

you dont ride at 100km/h to set it

stuff the speedo healer, you ride at a set speed and it piss easy

i did mine riding at 50km/h

cost $0.00

• 11-14-2012 10:43 PM In reply to

• TRA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-09-2010
    • Posts 302

Here is a tip, most speedos will be out by -10% these days to comply with ADR. I am sure most manufacturers would not like to be sued for a speedo that reads incorrectly, so they comply with ADR.

So far, I can say the following are out by -10%:

Mistubishi Lancer, Subaru Imprezza, Nissan Navara, Triumph Sprint ST, Suzuki DR650, Suzuki GS500, Aplillia Sportcity 250.

• 11-14-2012 11:07 PM In reply to

Yep my Lancer out by 8% at 100 kph the old Swift made before the changes to ADRs was *** on Smile

• 09-01-2013 08:20 AM In reply to

As far as im aware most scooters and motor bikes are 5 to 10 percent shy of the mark.

If we could do that with our age it would be goodCool

hatrick
Page 2 of 3 (31 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au