Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Honda

Vespa GTS 250ie

Last post 09-10-2015 04:12 PM by Lizziecro. 474 replies.
Page 31 of 32 (475 items) « First ... < Previous 28 29 30 31 32 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-20-2014 08:46 AM In reply to

• ansur
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-25-2010
    • Jannali, Sydney
    • Posts 114

Re: Phatvespa GTS 250ie MALOSSI DELTA CLUTCH

Thanks for posting the photos of yours and Ian's work. I have only just started to remove the different panels on the Vespa. You guys are very inspiring, but at this point I know my limitations. Keep posting your work please.

Piaggio Fly 150, Traded at 6000km's to Red GTS 250 20 000km's
    Full license 10/11/11.
  • 06-28-2014 11:51 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

Re: Phatvespa GTS 250ie: Yourban 300 13" front wheel

Ive been hearing on the grape vine that the MP3 Yourban 300's 13" wheels are a bolt on mod for the Vespa GTS's, well the front one is, back needs some tweaking apparently. Read about it on Modern Vespa. Scooter West was exporting them but ran out of stock. Ive been keen to try these 13" wheels on the front of phatVespa. Supposed to reduce wheel wobble, correct the optimistic speedo  and on paper could improve handling. Mick in WA has done both wheels but reckons if he was to do it again he'd only change the front. Last month I was in Scooter Central and looking at the Yourban and asked Lisa if she could source one wheel. She made a few calls and found out that Piaggio Aust could supply one for $290 delivered but it could take six weeks, so I ordered one.

Arrived on Tuesday and I went down to Brookvale Wednesday Arvo. There was a nice shiny 13" alloy rim. Took it home. The Yourban runs a 110/70/13 front tyre and the Vespa runs a 120/70/12. On Friday I went and got a Pirelli GTS23 120/70/13 tyre fitted for $89, Tried to swap the wheels today but the hex head nuts on the scooter were on too tight for the chinese 6mm allen key i have so Im waiting to buy a stronger hex head wrench to do the job.

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 06-29-2014 10:15 AM In reply to

They should look good, Pete, but I would prfer the spoked wheels on the new Vespa Sprint, if I had money to throw around like you do!

Mike

• 06-29-2014 02:01 PM In reply to

• MickJ
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-20-2012
    • Freo, WA
    • Posts 68

Hi Pete,

I think you'll enjoy the 13" Wheel.
    The rear wheel is a straight bolt on as well (well it was for me at least).

How is your new clutch going??

I've just ordered some 10g Dr Pulley sliders and a Malossi clutch, so I'd be interested to see of your ride is still smooth and noise free.

Cheers

Mickj

Vespa GTS

Born to be Mild
  • 06-29-2014 02:47 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

LOL! Thats rich Mike, Big Smile  coming from the owner of the most spoilt Vespa in Sydney.

Hi Mick, Just mounted the wheel and took phatVespa for a spin around the block. I actually like it, makes the Vespa track and corner more like a motorcycle, got rid of that oversteer that the GTS has sometimes. Sits higher, and tracks better. It certainly is different, need to ride it more to work out exactly how different. I also need to source the little piaggio cover for the hub as it didn't come with the rim. I did notice that the bolts arent as deeply recessed on the new wheel and so the wheel doesnt sit in quite the same place as the old wheel but I couldn't feel any problem when I was riding.

Im very happy with the Malossi Delta clutch, and with the 11g sliders its so much quieter and it has that Malossi kick in its heels. Good mod.

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
  • 06-29-2014 05:08 PM In reply to

Looks great, Pete. Hope you can organise the rear one too.

With that slightly larger tyre your speedo should be closer to reality now. Check it with a GPS and let us know.

If I had the money now, I would be spending it on some Malossi RS24 rear shocks. My GTS has acquired a slight rear wobble when cornering at speed.

Mike

• 06-29-2014 07:41 PM In reply to

• MickJ
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-20-2012
    • Freo, WA
    • Posts 68

I love the way that the front wheel fills out the guard. It looks much better.

Vespas are a strange machine. Ever since I rode my first Vespa, I fell in love with the way it rode. Funnily enough, I still spent a lot of money make mods to it. But with each mod, I felt like I made an improvement to it. I guess a great design is still better than a bunch of great parts...or a great team is better than a team of greats...or some sh@t like that, you know what I'm talking about.

Vespa GTS

Born to be Mild
  • 06-29-2014 09:55 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

Im thinking at this stage of keeping the rear wheel standard.

After another ride tonight I'm thinking about taking the rear preload to the top notch. When I was playing around with the suspension on the Bonneville I was introduced to a bikes geometry. Basically it goes like this, by raising the front and/or dropping the rear the bike/scoot goes toward understeer, which gives better straight tracking but it doesnt drop into corners as quickly, by dropping the front or raising the rear the bike/scoot goes toward oversteer which makes it drop into corners easier but is less stable in its tracking. To get the geometry right its about tweaking these variables. The bigger front wheel makes the Vespa smoother over bumps and speed humps but when i was pushing it hard through corners I could feel the rear end bouncing about a bit. This could be geometry, or worn out rear shocks or even swing arm. Its pretty subtle but the way Mike and I sometimes push our Vespas to the max it occurs. Mike is suggesting top of the line Malossi RS24 shocks as a remedy. I might try upping the rear preload then perhaps the jettin bushes first. Ah where does it end?

• 06-29-2014 10:12 PM In reply to

• MickJ
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-20-2012
    • Freo, WA
    • Posts 68

Hi Pete,

I've got the RS24s on the back of mine, and they are much much stiffer.
    On a 1 to 5 setting(1 being soft, 5 being hard) mine are set to 2. I weigh about 85kg. I find the ride comfortable, maybe a bit on the soft side. But with a setting of 3, I find the ride a bit too hard. Keeping in mind that I'm a fairly tame rider.

In my opinion, the suspension of the GTS's is its main weak spot.

Cheers

Mickj

Vespa GTS

Born to be Mild
  • 06-30-2014 06:10 PM In reply to

so what's wrong with this photo...?

to me the tyre is mounted incorrectly - the yellow dot which is the tyres balance point (the lighter end) should be placed beside the tyre valve...

Life without a Tmax is possible, but would almost be useless…
  • 06-30-2014 06:17 PM In reply to

Glad to see you got the wheel fitted....was thinking it was probably put on with a rattle gun.

how where the screws? Probably stretched like other fasteners on your machine...also are the inhex (allen type) heads OK or are they damaged?

And Pete suggest you check if the Urban runs the same part number as the GTS for these screws...maybe different.

Whatever suggest you order some replacements screws - really a critical safety item mate!

Ian

Life without a Tmax is possible, but would almost be useless…
  • 07-01-2014 11:18 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

White Fang:

was thinking it was probably put on with a rattle gun.

how where the screws? Probably stretched like other fasteners on your machine...also are the inhex (allen type) heads OK or are they damaged?

And Pete suggest you check if the Urban runs the same part number as the GTS for these screws...maybe different.

Whatever suggest you order some replacements screws - really a critical safety item mate!

I had to beetle along to Bunnings and pick up a set of hex fittings that connect to a 3/8 drive then they came out without trouble. They were fastened to the correct torque 25nm. The heads looked ok but I'll take your advice and order a new set of screws. I'll pop over and you can check the job. There is another thing that concerns me about the fit, and I'd like to get your advice.

• 12-02-2014 09:59 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

Re: Phatvespa GTS 250ie: The saga of the mods

75.035ks I rode for a while with the 13" Yourban front wheel, it certainly did make the handling better making the GTS quite tall and track better thru corners. Asthetically the 13" wheel looked better, and the gyroscopic effect gave it the handling of a large wheeled scooter but it still had wheel wobble when I took my hands off the bars. Also the 13" wheel didnt look as if it was centred when I looked at it front on so I took it off to try and get it balanced somewhere. Well it turns out that I couldnt find anyone who could balance a vespa wheel anywhere. No we dont bother balancing 12" wheels was the standard reply. Then it ended up sitting in the back of the stable for the last 6 months.

Today I went over to Ians as I had bought some polyurethane bushes from Classic Salon for the rear shocks on the advice of Mike Holland. phatVespa had developed a bit of a waddle when pushed hard thru the twisties and the bushes were the first step in stiffening up the rear suspension. Got the bushes in and that certainly was an improvement but it looks that there is still some play in the swing arm so thats the next step.

Got around to the 13" front wheel so we measured the 12" and the 13" to see the difference from the rim to the insert where the hub and bolts connect with the hub. It turned out that the Yourban wheel was 2mm shorter, decided that it wasn't enough to worry about so we refitted the 13" wheel back on. Rode it home and it was so different. phatVespa is sitting high again, not quite as agile at slow speed but really nice thru the corners. Need a full tank of fuel to get used to a tall Vespa again but I'll get used to it quick enough. Its certainly better at going fast thru the corners. Looking forward to a run on the old rd to really test it.

The next mod is fitting a GTV front mudguard so i'll have a Vespa with two headlights. I bought one from a wrecker some years back and recently when having a side panel repaired by Spencer I got him to paint the guard yellow. Its a big job to fit a front guard coz you've got to pull the front fork out of the steering head, but thats the next job to make phatVespa truely one of a kind.

• 12-02-2014 10:54 PM In reply to

I've been trying to get my old Sportcity handling like when it was new, I've made some progress but it still isn't right. I just got new fork sliders to put on, and hope this will help.

I found the spline on the rear axle was worn, and replacing it has made a difference. The rear wheel on the Sportcity is large and heavy, which might have caused the wear, or it might have been from rough tire changes, I'm putting my own tires on now so we will see.

It isn't hard to balance your own wheels with a static wheel balancer, I got one on Ebay that seems to work, I don't know what the axle fitting might be on a Vespa though.

Aprilia Sportcity 2006,
    recently crashed badly, might replace or buy a car!
  • 12-03-2014 03:07 AM In reply to

I have heard of liquid wheel balancer and beads that some think is good but i have not personally tried . Put in the tyres some brands may also helps seal punctures so could be worth a try

Si ‘Thi’ later
Page 31 of 32 (475 items) « First ... < Previous 28 29 30 31 32 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au