Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Honda

Vespa GTS 250ie

Last post 09-10-2015 04:12 PM by Lizziecro. 474 replies.
Page 3 of 32 (475 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-04-2008 10:14 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

Re: Vespa GTS 250ie

I'm having trouble with petrol spillage when I fill it up. More often than not I get a spurt of petrol coming out of the tank as the nozzle switches off soaking everything under the seat. When I slowly fill it to the top I get overflow pouring off under the scoot. I'm obviously doing it wrong. Is there some trick to it?
    Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 11-04-2008 11:58 PM In reply to

• MerrilyW
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-03-2008
    • I dream it I am there :-)
    • Posts 325

Peter I have not had this problem with mine - soooo I am wondering if there is a breather hole that is blocked? I put the pump nozzle fully in (not half in - no peeping!)  and then allow the auto shut off to activate. I don't go for another extra bit like the car as it is always full with the first shut off. Hmmm *thinking*  - a spurt at the same time as the nozzle switches off looks like an air bubble gurgle....well I AM trying to help here - not doing too well am I? Does this happen at more than one service station? Merrily
    Proud owner of Vespa GTS250ie - Ferrari Red..or some colour like that :-) with a BMW cool bike on the side...and a custom built Repsol Honda PCX finishes the stable.
  • 11-05-2008 06:33 AM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

MerrilyW:

I put the pump nozzle fully in (not half in - no peeping!)  and then allow the auto shut off to activate. I don't go for another extra bit like the car as it is always full with the first shut off.
    Thanks. That ts probably the answer. With my old scoot I'd peek in and fill it up to the top with the nozzle half out. I'll take your advice next time and see.

Id be also interested to know what grade of petrol are using in their Quaser engines and what tyre pressures on the GTS? Thanks.
    Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
  • 11-05-2008 08:03 AM In reply to

• Magoo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-05-2008
    • WA
    • Posts 804

ScootaChic:

So who wants a well loved but slightly worn LG with 8000km on the clock?

what are you asking for it????

• 11-05-2008 02:03 PM In reply to

• Lucy
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-21-2008
    • Brisbane
    • Posts 100

Hi Pete,

I know exactly what you mean about the petrol spillage, I now can work out how many litres are required by where the digital readout is.  Both my husband I have spilled petrol time after time which is annoying. When the light comes on at 2 bars that is approx 5 litres.  And I just squeeze very slowyly when I know I am getting to my fill up point.

With regards to the tyre pressure we always put 28/29 in the front and 32 in the back as advised when we bought it.  If we are doubling up we might put a bit more to make it firmer.

Cheers Lucy 

• 11-05-2008 02:32 PM In reply to

• MerrilyW
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-03-2008
    • Posts 325

I use middle range fuel (called something different at every service station - So it is not the High Octane one and not the cheap Ethanol added one)

Tyre pressures according the the GTS manual is quoted in Bar 1.8 and 2.0 (plus a bit higher if you are carrying pillion but who is going to keep adjusting each day for tht??) Anyway the conversion for that is 26psi and 30psi - but the general rules seems to be to go 28 front and 30 back. Works for me! :-)

BTW as the recommendation - particularly for tubeless tyres - is to check weekly the pressures and because I am always too keen to go riding than to fiddle with tube thingamajigs - my husband has just bought me a set of Tyre Pressue checkers that are fitted to each tyre - I can now see at a glance if the pressure is dropping. Trouble is they do not come in a set of three if you own an MP3 hee hee! But $12 a set is not exactly "break the bank"stuff !

Proud owner of Vespa GTS250ie - Ferrari Red..or some colour like that :-) with a BMW cool bike on the side...and a custom built Repsol Honda PCX finishes the stable.
  • 11-05-2008 04:19 PM In reply to

MerrilyW:
    my husband has just bought me a set of Tyre Pressure checkers that are fitted to each tyre - I can now see at a glance if the pressure is dropping. Trouble is they do not come in a set of three if you own an MP3 hee hee! But $12 a set is not exactly "break the bank"stuff !

Hmmm,  on my calculation you would have needed seven "pressure checkers" or four sets of 2 to cover your MP3, GTS and Fly,   how did you decide which scoot to fit the one set that your husband bought you ?  Wink

Deklan 

“It’s not the destination but the journey”
    Vespa GT200 in Grigio (Smokey Grey)

• 11-05-2008 05:45 PM In reply to

kiwiscoota:
    Hmmm,  on my calculation you would have needed seven "pressure checkers" or four sets of 2 to cover your MP3, GTS and Fly,   how did you decide which scoot to fit the one set that your husband bought you ?  Wink

LOL I bet I know the answer to that one but I will leave the fun of the answering to Merrily. Wink

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 11-05-2008 06:11 PM In reply to

• MerrilyW
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-03-2008
    • Posts 325

ROFLMAO - Well done and go to the top of the class for paying attention! :-)

Easy really - its all about the way you play the game. I have to show apprecitation first for this gift and then nochalantly appeal to him to check the other tyres for me on a day he is busy in the garage. Do that once or twice when he would rather be polishing his own bike and you can bet that faster than you can say Chick on a scooter...he will be on the internet credit card in hand ordering another set or three. I could also pinch the ones on his bike - cos I know he would really like for himself the super duper set that has a constant transmitter of tyre pressure status on the dashboard - (and that would give me a good idea for Christmas) - What do you think?

• 11-05-2008 07:02 PM In reply to

MerrilyW:

ROFLMAO - Well done and go to the top of the class for paying attention! :-)

Easy really - its all about the way you play the game......

We, mere males should never under estimate the power of a woman to manipulate us as they see fit !  Tongue Tied

Deklan 

“It’s not the destination but the journey”
    Vespa GT200 in Grigio (Smokey Grey)

• 11-05-2008 07:06 PM In reply to

• casseldale
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-21-2008
    • Northern Beaches, Sydney
    • Posts 33

Pete

I've seen on modernvespa.com that the secret to the fuel filling is to hold the pipe over the engine area with the nozzle 'pointed' towards the back of the scoot. Apparently, if you hold the nozzle any other way, it spills.

Congrats on the new scoot - I'm contemplating one myself.

• 11-05-2008 07:23 PM In reply to

casseldale:

Pete

I've seen on modernvespa.com that the secret to the fuel filling is to hold the pipe over the engine area with the nozzle 'pointed' towards the back of the scoot. Apparently, if you hold the nozzle any other way, it spills.

Congrats on the new scoot - I'm contemplating one myself.

Don't contemplate too long, take advantage of the Summer of Vespa and save yourelf $800!   Barring a few minor niggles that all scooters have, the chances of finding a disgruntled GTS owner are very, very slim indeed.  

If you haven't ridden one yet, do so.  But only if you are prepared yourself to buy one, because once you have ridden one you will definitely want one.

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 11-05-2008 07:55 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

Thanks for the replies everyone. I filled up today using MerrilyW method, nozzle fully in and only got a little splash when it cut off, nothing like the quarter cup that I'd been getting. I think that I could have got more fuel into the tank but didn't bother, Thanks casseldale for the modern vespa tip. I'll try it in 200k's when I next fill up.

All I can say is I totally agree with Steve about getting one. The GTS is one hell of a scooter and Im certainly a happy camper re my choice to up grade. I cant see how they can keep the prices so low since the dollar has plummeted. Will they keep the special price thru to December as advertised?
  • 11-05-2008 08:07 PM In reply to

• Linz
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-09-2008
    • Macarthur, NSW
    • Posts 914

Do any of the retailers on here actually keep these flyscreens(or floormats), for the GTS, in stock?? or do they order them as need be??.

I ask, as the retailer I got my scooter, from only orders as needs be and its weeks to get anything.

Don't look at WHO started it up, look at WHAT has been started up.....
  • 11-05-2008 08:20 PM In reply to

I like to have the flyscreens in stock at all times, but the floor mats I tend to get to order (though I do have one at present).  Normally if I order stuff one week its here by the middle of the next - if they have in stock.  But we've got so many GTS going out just now, that we do run out of flyscreens now and again.

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
Page 3 of 32 (475 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au