ADVERTISEMENT

Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Scooter Cycle Workshop

Vespa GTS 250ie

Last post 07-01-2014 11:18 PM by petegailey. 461 replies.
Page 13 of 31 (462 items) « First ... < Previous 11 12 13 14 15 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-17-2009 01:21 AM In reply to

• bradr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • Nowra NSW
    • Posts 1,993

Re: Vespa GTS 250ie

hey pete,i to was very hesitant at first with my 250 vespa,but 12000km later &we are very well aquainted and man do they handle well and yes the motor does loosen a lot after about 6000km.my 250 constantly returns 35-38 km/ltr--whether stop/start,town or fast freeway work,one or two up,all i can say is it is an absolute gem to ride--mind you mine is red(the fastest colour),no only joking-yellow is just as cool.actually red should be the slowest because red is the heaviest paint pigment.i dont think you will regret your purchase,cheers mate

Red ones always go faster but blue ones go pretty quick , but now blue ones are the way to go😄
  • 01-17-2009 01:29 AM In reply to

• bradr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • Nowra NSW
    • Posts 1,993

$260 for its first service?,boy that seems very excessive

oil,oil filter,rear hub oil change,visual checkover,road test

you may be wise to check around other dealers before getting your next service pete because the 1000k service would have to be the cheapest service.

Red ones always go faster but blue ones go pretty quick , but now blue ones are the way to go😄
  • 01-17-2009 08:06 AM In reply to

bradr:

to all those who own gts 250's,do yourself a big favour & check the wiring at the rear of the battery-(where it passes through into the engine compartment) because if the main positive battery lead is not routed correctly it can rub on the other 3 yellow wires which are in the same harnessed section & this as i found out can cause a serious issue with shorting out & probable fire if not caught in time,as i found out on mine last weekend. the problem appears to be lack of insulation of the harness itself combined with being not far from that known to be troublesome exhaust engine pipe,the remedy was very simple--feed the harness through on battery side so you have access,repair any wiring damage which has occurred,wrap plenty of black tent tape around individual wires,then wrap all wires in that harness together with plenty more tent tape,encase entire section in that flexible electrical conduit,finally reroute wire harness back into position.note; make sure to disconnect the battery before doing any of the above.perhaps if Mr vespa reads this-he might consider modifying future gts models?

but even with this problem,i think they are a terrific scooter & so far have 12000 km absolutely troublefree riding with some very long rides having been acomplished

I pinched this post by bradr from another thread but I thought it was an important tip so Ive put it in this massive review.Thanks bradr
    Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 01-17-2009 08:15 AM In reply to

bradr:

you may be wise to check around other dealers before getting your next service pete because the 1000k service would have to be the cheapest service.

I think they're getting back the fantastic discount they gave me when I bought the GTS, and yes I am looking at other options.

I was on holidays last week and didn't ride the scooter. I was having some special time with the ute, (it doesn't get much love these days.) But It was great to finally get back into town and get the GTS out of the shed, thats for sure.

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
  • 01-17-2009 09:54 AM In reply to

By way of comparison my GT200 cost me $130 for the first service,  including oil (engine & transmission), filter, road test etc.

Deklan 

“It’s not the destination but the journey”
    Vespa GT200 in Grigio (Smokey Grey)

• 01-17-2009 04:37 PM In reply to

• Linz
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-09-2008
    • Macarthur, NSW
    • Posts 910

bradr:

Just had my first service on my 250 and it cost $209.....it seems to have got more grunt after the 1st service..or its the BP premium unleaded ive been putting in it

Don't look at WHO started it up, look at WHAT has been started up.....
  • 01-17-2009 05:07 PM In reply to

A couple of small problems with the GTS

1. I get a wheel vibration when I take my hands off the handle bars at about 60k/h. Ive checked the tyre pressure and thats OK. Ive got a Bridgestone hoop on the back and the old original Sava on the front . I read on Modern Vespa that others report this problem. Anyone here got any ideas?

2. I tried to start the GTS this afternoon and after two or three turns of the starter motor it wouldn't turn over. Had to turn  the kill switch off and back on again to get it to engage again but same problem happened. Charged up the battery, still no joy. Eventually tapped the handlebar on top of the swtich and under the switch and away it went. No problems since. I know scooterchic was talking about this recently. Any ideas?

As far as the service costs I know that Scooter Central  have posted their costs on their web site. Good on you guys I'll be checking you out at 10,000ks.

• 01-17-2009 05:20 PM In reply to

petegailey:

1. I get a wheel vibration when I take my hands off the handle bars at about 60k/h. Ive checked the tyre pressure and thats OK. Ive got a Bridgestone hoop on the back and the old original Sava on the front . I read on Modern Vespa that others report this problem. Anyone here got any ideas?

The handlebar vibration is a well known issue with the GT / GTS,   anecdotal evidence (various Vespa forums) suggests it goes away if you fit Pirelli tyres front & rear,  I forget the actual model Pirelli,  all I remember it is 23 Front, 24 Rear  (part of the model/version number not the PSI).

There's also another claimed improvement,  which involved replacing the existing chrome bar ends with heavier weight ones.

The only comment I can add is that I do not have this issue with my GT200,  but then I have Pirelli tyres front & rear.

EDIT:

My son David (Motorrad) has just arrived home with my GT200 and tells me that he experienced the worst handlebar vibration when using Contis.

He tried Michellin, that was not too bad, but his pick was the Pirelli as it was barely noticable, if noticable at all, on his GT200 / GT250 / GT 300. 

Deklan 

“It’s not the destination but the journey”
    Vespa GT200 in Grigio (Smokey Grey)

• 01-17-2009 05:37 PM In reply to

The Pirelli tyre model is GTS. I have Pirellis on the demo scoot I ride & can't recall having an issue, other than due to rider error of course. There's a recent blog that talks about the issue & the Pirellis. A customer is currently looking at having his Sava tyres replaced with Pirelli or Metzler but unfortunately the mechanic can't source them. He swears by the Michellin Pilot Sport & ... can't remember the other

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 01-17-2009 06:05 PM In reply to

kiwiscoota:

anecdotal evidence (various Vespa forums) suggests it goes away if you fit Pirelli tyres front & rear,

Thanks for that info. It's not a problem with both hands on the bar but I suspect that it might be the Sava and I'll try some Pirelli's next time.
  • 01-18-2009 02:02 PM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,220

its the tyre mis match for sure ... I found it went away with Metzler but our feedback also suggest that didnt work and when he tried Pirelli that solved the issue. 

I know alot of my customers swore by the Metzler conversion. 

Tapping the top and its never been a problem? again this sounds a little wierd . You ride it in all weather conditions and I would suggest to pop off the front headlight and get the WD out and give it a bit to clear any moisture. Same thing happened on my sportcity and once I gave it some attention on the switchgear it was fine. 

Maybe when it was sitting for a week moisture settled into areas it shouldnt have ? but if you pop the heaqdlight off you can check for anything loose whilst there. Check around the killswitch and the back of the Key which has a wire running off it that goes into the immobilisor. 

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 01-19-2009 08:45 AM In reply to

Thanks Allen. I'll get onto that. I found that blog on the Pirellis as well. Cheers.
  • 01-19-2009 10:42 AM In reply to

Pete,

Why are you taking your hands off the handlebars at 60 km/h?

Mack Truck
  • 01-19-2009 07:14 PM In reply to

To roll a cigarette.

Not really, just to check the balance of the front wheel. I can do it on the Daelim and on my pushbike but not on the GTS.
  • 01-19-2009 11:45 PM In reply to

petegailey:
    To roll a cigarette.

Not really, just to check the balance of the front wheel. I can do it on the Daelim and on my pushbike but not on the GTS.

Oh, I see.

I thought maybe it was a case of"Look Ma, no hands!" as you proceeded to weave between cars & do wheelies with your hands folded in your lap...

Mack Truck
Page 13 of 31 (462 items) « First ... < Previous 11 12 13 14 15 Next > ... Last »

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au