Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Honda

Vespa GTS 250ie

Last post 09-10-2015 04:12 PM by Lizziecro. 474 replies.
Page 15 of 32 (475 items) « First ... < Previous 13 14 15 16 17 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-12-2009 12:07 PM In reply to

• Jax
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-23-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 3,129

Re: Vespa GTS 250ie

Pete - I have a test on Tuesday to drive and RIDE whilst still on crutches. It's organised by the insurance company to ensure that there are no contributing factors if I am involved in another accident. I will be limited to riding a bike with a sidestand coz I won't have the strength in my left leg to support the scoot while I put it on its centre stand. Soooooo.... on Wednesday you will see me on the Old Road and perhaps Wisemans on Jordan's blue Fly. Wink

Keep next weekend free eh - in fact keep EVERY weekend free - I have a lot of catching up to do. Cool

Re Snowy: we are permanently booked in every year. This year we have a cabin sleeping 11 overlooking the Village Green. I'll start another thread and post some photos. 

Need scooter parking? www.mcnetwork.com.au on the web or on your iPhone or Android phone
    MCNetwork - using Google maps to plot every parking spot, every dealer, every shop - linked to every product for your scooter.

• 04-12-2009 07:01 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

Thank god for that! Good luck on Tuesday. Im on school hols so if you want a run next week let me know, except thursday,. Im putting the GTS in for its 10 000k service.

Went with Tony and Pete thru Nasho and down to Robertson via Maquarie Pass. They've just resealed the road up the mountain. Jeaze Louise what a brilliant ride. Got to be one of the best roads in Australia! Camera mounted to the GTS's handlebar, following Petes blue PX thru a sharp lefthander.

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 04-13-2009 07:51 AM In reply to

• MerrilyW
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-03-2008
    • I dream it I am there :-)
    • Posts 325

Jax:
    Pete - I have a test on Tuesday to drive and RIDE whilst still on crutches. It's organised by the insurance company to ensure that there are no contributing factors if I am involved in another accident.

Hey Jax - A HUGE good luck from me too - You will do GREAT I am sure!  I do find it odd though that you have to do the test whilst still on crutches - like they expect you to be on them always in the future?? But I guess if you drive fine WITH them then they will never be able to argue with you in the future when you have ditched the crutches. Have a great weekend!

Proud owner of Vespa GTS250ie - Ferrari Red..or some colour like that :-) with a BMW cool bike on the side...and a custom built Repsol Honda PCX finishes the stable.
  • 04-13-2009 09:33 AM In reply to

• Jax
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-23-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 3,129

I don't really understand it either. I was told by my physio that I couldn't drive till I got off the crutches or I'd "DO" my insurance. This seems quite silly as I have a perfectly good right leg and an automatic car.

I checked with the insurance company and they said I could do a test - I wish the physio had told me that... I could have been driving a month ago. Huh?

With the bike - I don't need to be 100% weight bearing to hold the bike up. So they reckon I can ride at 50% weight bearing (which is where I'm at now). The big problem is getting OFF the bike and walking away - but that's not what I'm being tested for Wink

Need scooter parking? www.mcnetwork.com.au on the web or on your iPhone or Android phone
    MCNetwork - using Google maps to plot every parking spot, every dealer, every shop - linked to every product for your scooter.

• 04-16-2009 06:10 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

The VESPA 10,000k Service

I’ve now owned the Vespa for 6 months and Ive just got it back from its 10,000k service. The 10,000 is a major service and I knew it wouldn’t be a cheapie. I decided to try Scooter Central at Brookvale.

Scooter Central has a set service rate for a major service of just under $250 where they totally check over the scoot. On top of that are parts like oil filters, oil, coolant etc. In addition I wanted a new front tyre fitted to replace the original Sava. While it still had some tread on it, it was wearing unevenly, sounded like a tractor and was becoming unbalanced. I was going to try a Pirelli GTS as Id read that that a set of those were the best option to cure the Vespa wheel wobble. Scooter Central didn’t carry the Pireiils and recommended a Metzeler. I knew they were popular with some of the other Vespa riders that I knew so I figured what the hell. As well I got them to straighten the steering, which had been slightly skewed since I got the GTS. Well it ended costing $460 all up.

I had the scooter back by midday so I took the long way home and put it through the twisties around McCarrs Creek and Mona Vale. I Was a bit cautious with a new front tyre (A tip for Newbies: You shouldn’t cane a new tyre or ride in the wet until the slippery coating has worn off) but the GTS felt really balanced and was rearing to go. The Metezeler has made an amazing difference to the balance and steering of the scooter. After about 50ks I started putting it down and at last the front end of the Vespa felt really good. Secure, balanced, light and responsive. The wheel wobble is negligible and I’m now desperate to see how it handles the Old Pacific Hwy and some corners that I know. Before today the front end had been the weakest link of this Vespa so that was money well spent.

The only strange thing is that the GTS isn’t quite as responsive at lower revs but is more responsive up high. Does this mean the mapping has been adjusted?

I was having a chat with Murray and he told me I had a good one. He said that he has had about 5 GTS’s and keeps on going back to them which was interesting as he has so many other scooters to choose from.

I thought that Scooter Central were a really professional out fit who offer a excellent service for prices that you’d expect in Sydney. Fast and efficient. In an economic climate that is seeing a lot of business going to the wall this shop is busy and alive. And they still have three GTS 250’s on the floor at the old Summer of Vespa reduced price $7990 + ORC. ($800 saving)

The new Metzeler front tyre.

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
  • 04-16-2009 06:43 PM In reply to

Yep I've heard that the Metz is a very good alternative to the Pirelli GTS in quality, balance & negating the Vespa wobble. Someone else has said Michellin, but she rides a plastic fantastic not a Vespa so I don't know how it would go with the wobble.

Enjoy but don't forget to post those photos! Wink

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 04-16-2009 10:57 PM In reply to

• dozer.
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-26-2008
    • Albury, N.S.W
    • Posts 2,432

Yep Pete, Murray is a top guy. Treats everyone like a mate and is real helpful. Nice lookin' front tyre.
    DOZER.
  • 04-19-2009 09:38 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

Rode up to Gosford in the rain this arvo to Merrily and Tony"s where we fitted the Nautilus. Totally satisfactory and straightforward operation thanks to T & M's excellent research and engineering. Got it to fit in where the old horn was as well! And does it sound like a freight train, you bet. Im a totally happy camper.

Interesting footnote on the power lag I'd experienced after the 10 000k service. I had to disconnect the battery during the fitting of the air horn and on the way home I noticed that the power lag had gone and the GTS had that spring that I remember when I first got it. Its like disconnecting the battery reverted it to its original settings or something. Whatever, it's flying and now has a serious blast if anyone gets in my space. Just waiting for some cager to try and change lanes on me now!

Again thanks to Tony and Merrily, You are awesome!

• 04-19-2009 09:57 PM In reply to

Disconnecting the battery has indeed reset the fuel injection so it will have remapped its self for best running

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 04-19-2009 10:05 PM In reply to

• MerrilyW
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-03-2008
    • Posts 325

Hi Pete that is an interesting footnote -The only explanation Tony can think of is that disconnecting the battery somehow reset the engine management system as the GTS 250 is fuel injected - Watch this space as we will also put up pictures for the beeper for the indicators that you saw fitted today.
    Proud owner of Vespa GTS250ie - Ferrari Red..or some colour like that :-) with a BMW cool bike on the side...and a custom built Repsol Honda PCX finishes the stable.
  • 04-20-2009 06:34 AM In reply to

• JamesP
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-01-2008
    • Alexandria, NSW
    • Posts 15

Pete, you will enjoy that horn.

my first experience was riding to Lake Macquarie on the Pacific Highway and a 4WD decided that i wasn't on the road and moved into my lane cutting me off ---- until i gave them a blast and they literal lurched back into the lane they had come from..... Devil

• 04-21-2009 12:59 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

Got to blow the horn in anger yesterday, A Lexus 4WD hadn't seen me and was changing lanes on top of me. A four second blast soon fixed that. Took her a second to realise where all the noise was coming from, then she  snuck sheepishly back into her lane. No need for me to brake, swear swerve or give way. Now that it's baptised Im not hoping that some one will cut me off just so I can try it out.

After a couple of hundred K's on the new tyre I'm ready to take it the GTS for a decent run thru some decent twisties on a good dry track. I'm feeling really happy with the scooter now and its the best its ever been. The engine continues to run very smoothly since I "remapped" it by disconnecting the battery. I'm still trying to decide on a flyscreen. I recently downloaded  a very interesting article on the UK's  "PM Tuning"  website about variators. Follow the link at the bottom of the page.   www.pmtuning.co.uk/index2.htm

"Widely accepted as the best tuning product for the GTS is a fly screen! If one is fitted the aerodynamics improve to such a degree that most riders pick up a few mph on top speed. This itself brings other problems because now the scooter can go fast enough to hit the engine rev limiter at about 9500rpm. At these revs the engine starts to stutter and simply won't go any faster....this will happen at between 78mph and 82mph..." UK magazine article in Scooting March 2008

So let the clouds blow away and let the road dry out. Im ready

• 04-21-2009 05:07 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

A picture says ten thousand words

• 04-21-2009 05:10 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

This is what happens when you have too much time on your hands. (psst dozer...140k/h)Wink

• 04-21-2009 05:23 PM In reply to

• MerrilyW
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-03-2008
    • Posts 325

He he looking good Pete! Now we just have to do the indicators and that is stage one completed??

The indicator warning is really good out on the road just the right tone and amount of sound - not too annoying just informative...that sound box we put it in is the ticket I think!   So we see you soon to put yours in????

Page 15 of 32 (475 items) « First ... < Previous 13 14 15 16 17 Next > ... Last »

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au