Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Aprilia

riding in the wet

Last post 11-14-2008 07:46 AM by Peter. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-13-2008 01:00 PM

• Peter
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-15-2008
    • Posts 6

riding in the wet

Hi Folks , long time lurker here, My name is Peter, I am in Brisbane, I ride a  Vespa GTS 250 ,I've had the scoot since Feb 2008

I'm looking for some recomendations on what type of  tyre would be best for my Vespa GTS 250.

I have the original Sava's on there at the moment {4500 km} I'm still a couple of mm from the wear indicator and the tyres have been OK for what I do,

just not in the wet.

I went to my dealer and he said that they were the best  tyres that were made for that scoot {and as luck would have it , he has some right here}. 

I've decided that I wont but another set of Sava's, so I thought that I would throw the question out there. which ones to get ??

I know I started with the wet weather question but that is not necessarily  the major factor {Just at the forfront of my mind after todays ride to work}

I'm not too worried about tyre wear, more about grip  and stability. so thanks in advance for any help.

PS. love the site, spend way too much time online here when I should be working..

Cheers Peter.

• 11-13-2008 01:03 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

Re: riding in the wet

Which part of Brisbane are you from?  We are always looking for more people to joion our rides.

I dont know if there is a perfect wet tyre.  I know I and many others find the Conti twists very good in all climates.  It would just mean fininding the right size for your tyre.

I am assuming you have a dealer in the city.

2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 11-13-2008 01:23 PM In reply to

For something like the GTS Michelin Pilot Sport, Continental Twist & we've just added Schwalbe to our range they have a soft wet weather pattern tyre called a powertrack or the performance Raceman. I've used both of these on the track - very good tyre.

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 11-13-2008 01:23 PM In reply to

• Lucy
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-21-2008
    • Brisbane
    • Posts 100

Hi Peter,

Can relate to your enquiry, I had the same questions myself earlier in the year.  I have had my Vespa GTS250 for quite a while now and always felt stable and secure on the original tyres in the dry and wet.  Back tyre got replaced first, then the front, after the front was replaced I noticed the difference in the wet and thought it wasn't quite as grippy and stable as the previous tyre.  Then you start to doubt yourself and think your crazy.  Anyway I asked the question on this forum and had the advice Metzler or Sava are the best for the Vespa. We are due for tyre change soon and I will be putting either one of these brands back on now I know a bit more about it.

• 11-13-2008 01:38 PM In reply to

• Peter
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-15-2008
    • Posts 6

Hi Dakoda, that was Quick,

I'm from Everton Park . in Brisbane. Ive read about the Group rides ,They look like a lot of fun,

would love to show up for one sometime.

Ive looked at the Conti twists and they are actually my prefered choice at the moment.

I'm getting them for myself for Christmas {from my wife}she dosen't know yet.

Hi Brendan , thanks for that, I hope to be on the coast the week after next so I will come and introduce  myself ,

Hi Lucy ,Thanks for your thoughts, I did have some doubt about the tyres this morning when I went sideways through a round about at Bardon, very slow  for the rest of the trip.

Cheers.

• 11-13-2008 01:58 PM In reply to

• Peter
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-15-2008
    • Posts 6

Hi Brendan, Just had a look at those Raceman and powertrack tyres , they look the goods, do you have them in stock ,and if so How much?

Looking at getting front and back , and was also wondering about the merits of going 140 /70/12 for the rear and 130/70/12 front, yes/no??{mainly for looks}

Cheers. Peter

• 11-13-2008 02:10 PM In reply to

Peter:

Hi Brendan, Just had a look at those Raceman and powertrack tyres , they look the goods, do you have them in stock ,and if so How much?

Looking at getting front and back , and was also wondering about the merits of going 140 /70/12 for the rear and 130/70/12 front, yes/no??{mainly for looks}

Cheers. Peter

I think they also do a full wet tyre as well ( but they are the best available in Aus)
  • 11-13-2008 02:22 PM In reply to

Should have kept the Schwalbe under wraps til we were completely stocked & ready. Haven't even got them up on our site yet. At the moment its the common sizes only I have the front but no rear, not a problem we can get them in. PM me for pricing (gives me time to find it)

Some will be wondering why the shift to Schwalbe as we have been vocal supporters of the Conti Range. We still are, but since Continental moved production from Thailand to Vietnam we had a few issues with out of round tyres & balancing, then there is the new pricing. We always keep our eye on the latest developments & products if you don't opportunity passes you by... 

www.scooterhq.com.au

• 11-13-2008 02:33 PM In reply to

Service@SelectScootas:
    I think they also do a full wet tyre as well ( but they are the best available in Aus)

Weatherman - cold climate tyre. The powertrack would be as soft as you went in Qld - these are brilliant in the wet, done a heaps of K's on them. Personally I think the raceman would be the best bet for most riders as the smaller contact patch on the weatherman & powertrack hold a fair bit of heat & tend to wear out a little faster than desired if its dry. They are a wet weather tyre after all.

Trying to see if I can get the "power slick" too.Devil

www.scooterhq.com.au

• 11-13-2008 02:54 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

Peter:

Hi Dakoda, that was Quick,

I'm from Everton Park . in Brisbane. Ive read about the Group rides ,They look like a lot of fun,

would love to show up for one sometime.

I guess we could accomodate a Vespa on our rides.

Keep an eye out, as we have them quite often, and aprox every 6 weeks from Scooter HQ in Southport, and there is usually at least one who makes the trek from Brisbane.

2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 11-13-2008 03:59 PM In reply to

• Tubsta
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-22-2007
    • Secret Test Track, South Gippsland, Australia
    • Posts 1,192

Peter:
    wondering about the merits of going 140 /70/12 for the rear and 130/70/12 front, yes/no??

Hi Peter,

A big no on that one.  It may look the goods but what is the point when it becomes a pain to ride, no point in just looking at it parked in the shed.

Piaggio used that tyre size for a reason, a decision made by some very intelligent engineers.  I am a bit of a tweeker with my stuff, will play around with different compounds, but will leave the tyre size original.  I have played with sizes in the past and the experience was no where near as good to ride even though it looked fatter.

"Being cold is the result of laziness" - Bunta Fujiwara

Current ride: Yamaha XT660Z Tenere.
    Gone: Piaggio MP3 400ie, too unreliable in the rain (think Italian electrics).

ScooterZine
  • 11-13-2008 04:04 PM In reply to

Scooter HQ:

[

Trying to see if I can get the "power slick" too.Devil

He has got some (i'm running a set on the super retard pit bike) and they stick like s**t to a bunny rabbit
  • 11-13-2008 04:06 PM In reply to

Tubsta:
    I have played with sizes in the past and the experience was no where near as good to ride even though it looked fatter.

Spot on Tubsta, the wider the tyre the slower it turns, Manufacturers have sizes for a reason. There has only been one or two scooters we have used a different size on, but that was for a specific reason.

www.scooterhq.com.au

• 11-13-2008 08:08 PM In reply to

• Linz
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-09-2008
    • Macarthur, NSW
    • Posts 914

Peter:

I have the original Sava's on there at the moment {4500 km} I'm still a couple of mm from the wear indicator and the tyres have been OK for what I do,

just not in the wet.

Cheers Peter.

Hhhmmmm...weird..my GTS came with Pirelli GTS23/24(?) tyres.....or is that(Sava's) a nick name for them??

Don't look at WHO started it up, look at WHAT has been started up.....
  • 11-13-2008 11:08 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,087

Linz:

Hhhmmmm...weird..my GTS came with Pirelli GTS23/24(?) tyres.....or is that(Sava's) a nick name for them??

My GTS came with Sava's
    Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au