Scooter
Community

The Snowy Scooter Contingent

Last post 04-07-2012 10:35 PM by petegailey. 279 replies.
Page 3 of 19 (280 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-03-2009 04:46 PM In reply to

Re: The Snowy Scooter Contingent

I just wanted to say you had better look after OUR Haylz & we want her back!!! You just make sure you allow her to return to us in good time & in good condition or we're gonna have to organise a rescue mission! Be warned! Wink 

I can't wait to hear her stories of the ride & see the photos.

Have a great time guys.

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 11-03-2009 04:51 PM In reply to

• Jax
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-23-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 3,129

Scooternut:
    Haylz & we want her back!!!

... hey Pete... do u think she suspects our plans Wink

Need scooter parking? www.mcnetwork.com.au on the web or on your iPhone or Android phone
    MCNetwork - using Google maps to plot every parking spot, every dealer, every shop - linked to every product for your scooter.

• 11-03-2009 04:51 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

Scooternut:

I just wanted to say you had better look after OUR Haylz & we want her back!!!

HEY WANDA!  Remember, we found her FIRST! And yeah we'll take good care of her.

Possible shower Thursday
    Possible shower
    Min: 6°C Max: 19°C
    UV: Very High
    Mostly sunny Friday
    Mostly sunny
    Min: 6°C Max: 22°C
    Sunny Saturday
    Sunny
    Min: 7°C Max: 24°C
    Sunny Sunday
    Sunny
    Min: 9°C Max: 25°C

The BOM just keeps getting better!

Sunny Monday
    Sunny
    Min: 9°C Max: 26°C

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 11-03-2009 08:03 PM In reply to

Big Smile The only way they will keep Haylz is to give her a brand new red Vespa GTS300  Super Big Smile

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 11-03-2009 09:57 PM In reply to

Shh!!! don't tell anyone but Haylz prefers the GTS250ie! Don't tell em coz I want them to offer the Super. I know she will say no! If they offered a GTS250ie she would probably say yes. But shh!!!

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 11-03-2009 10:56 PM In reply to

• haylz
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-23-2009
    • Perth
    • Posts 278

Haha Embarrassed

Super 300? Nup. Nice but not my cuppa. Not sure why.

I am forever loyal to Rosie. For some reason nothing feels as good!

Snowy here we come!!! Im gonna ride that MP3 like I stole it. Hehe

Scooter Señora

Totally addicted to to my Vespa
  • 11-04-2009 10:15 AM In reply to

• Jax
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-23-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 3,129

2 ...

Need scooter parking? www.mcnetwork.com.au on the web or on your iPhone or Android phone
    MCNetwork - using Google maps to plot every parking spot, every dealer, every shop - linked to every product for your scooter.

• 11-05-2009 09:14 AM In reply to

• Jax
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-23-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 3,129

1 ...

• 11-05-2009 11:49 AM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

Jax:

1 ...

Cant wait till 3pm so I can hit the frog and toad. phatVespa is loaded to the max. Bit uncomfortable as I have to sit forward on the seat. Also getting some wheel wobble with the extra weight on the back. Well I'll have to see how uncomfortable it is after I get to the first pit stop before throwing gear into the bush. 

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
  • 11-10-2009 12:15 AM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

OMG! It was Awesome! Four and a half days: 1,800ks; 60ltrs of petrol each scooter: perfect weather; riding in one of the most epic landscapes on the planet, Seven of us begrudgingly rode over the Blue Mountains back into Sydney tonight, bug splattered, sunburnt, sore and exausted, and grins right across our tired faces, we pull in safe and sound but boy what a ride.......

• 11-10-2009 01:03 AM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

Snowy Ride 09

DAY 1

Couldn’t wait for 3pm  to come around on Thursday for the bell to go and eventually it happened and I got the GTS fully loaded and snuck out of school to meet half of the Sydney Coz We Can crew at Padstow for the first leg of our run to the Snowy. Ulladulla 200ks south was our first nights destination. As soon as we left Sydney it started to drizzle, by ½ an hour the heavens opened up and it began to pour. Visibility along the Freeway was virtually zero as we rode through the clouds hanging on the escarpment. Cars were driving with their hazard lights and it was all a bit hairy. The issue again was leaking wet weather gear.  It first starts as a coldness in the crutch. Why is it that all wet weather gear leaks in the crutch. By the time we got to Albion Park, south of the gong I was cold and saturated, a re play of the Taree run. All the weight on the back seat was creating some handling problems with the GTS and I had quite bad wheel wobble.

We fueled up at Albion Park and I decided to change my gear which took a good 15 minutes. This time I tried my full wet weather overalls over my summer coat. . I tied all my wet gear on the back rack and hit the road but the wheel wobble was shocking, even with hands on the bars. I had to stop and repack and put the second bag between my feet. This improved handling. It seems that GTS’s don’t like weight over the back wheel which is why I don’t like the idea of top boxes. With this sorted we  headed south again. Within 20 minutes I was leaking again. The full suit wasn’t doing any good. BUGGER. Gloves are the other problem as they get soaked and hands cold. Tried rubber gloves over the summer gloves, one worked one didn’t. This is getting to be a problem for wet weather riding finding good gear.

Got into Ulladulla at dusk wet and cold. Had a good motel who were able to offer us clothes driers and we proceeded to do the gear drying dance, clothes, gloves, boots, helmets. Using a combo of hair driers, air conditioners etc. PX Pete in his $50 Clark Rubber wet weather kit was the only one who rode in dry.

• 11-10-2009 06:16 AM In reply to

• dozer.
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-26-2008
    • Albury, N.S.W
    • Posts 2,432

C'mon Pete, a teaser only? Then what? Then what? WIring with intrest for the rest and photos.
    DOZER.
  • 11-10-2009 06:45 AM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

Normal 0 0 1 381 2177 18 4 2673 11.0 0 0 0 &amp;amp;amp;lt;!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Times New Roman"; panose-1:0 2 2 6 3 5 4 5 2 3; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:50331648 0 0 0 1 0;} @font-face {font-family:Arial; panose-1:0 2 11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:50331648 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:EN-AU;} table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-parent:""; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --&amp;amp;amp;gt;

DAY 2.

Ulladulla to Thredbo via Bega and Cooma. With grey clouds coming in off the Tasman it was hard to work out what to wear. Started off with full wet weather suit but pretty soon I was sweating like crazy so I dumped that. The forcast was promising and the further south we travelled the more blue sky there was. The South Coast is a great run on a scooter, lots of lovely twisties and beautiful scenery, green fields and rolling hills. The temperature kept on rising and by the time we got to Bega it was sunny and over 30C. There were heaps of motorcyclists heading south so we fueled  up and prepared to head to Cooma. There were road works on the outskirts of Bega and Jax had been told of a detour which consisted of riding across a sandy river bed. Jen was ambivilant about taking the 1000cc road bike across but Jax was into the adventure and blasted across on her Sportscity I was next on the heavily laden GTS and very nearly got bogged in some soft sand, just managed to get through. Garry got his Honda through  & Haylz followed on the MP3 and got totally bogged. It was blazingly hot and everyone had to pull the MP3 out of the sand. Pete got the PX across by running beside the scoot. The others turned around and got stuck in the long traffic delays.

From Bega you ride the Snowy Mountains Hwy west up Brown Mountain to Cooma. As with most of the great eastern NSW rides the road travels across the hinterland then into the twisties up the escarpment. The road up Brown Mountain is as good as Macquarie Pass for scenery but the tarmac has lots of bumps and some of the corners are quite hairy.

At the top of the mountain there is an amazing high speed road across the alpine plains  with excellent tarmac and sweeping corners with wonderful visibility for the 50k run into Cooma. The Vespa was taken to its limits on this road, absolutely flat chat at 135k/h. The main difficulties on a road like this for a scooter is overtaking coz you can easily hit the limiter on the wrong side of the road because of the speeds that everyone is traveling. Motorcycles were blasting past one after another. It’s really head down and butt up but I loved it and got to overtake a Harley or two. At Cooma one of the Harley riders came up and commented on how well the Vespa handled it. I was following you into town and you were flying. He said.

Fueled up again at Cooma before the 70k run to Jindabyne, another excellent road through wonderful country and then the last 30ks to Thredbo. We arrived smiling and exhausted. Over 400ks fantastic weather, brilliant roads, amazing country, truly one of the best rides that Ive ever done.

Leaving Ulladulla on Friday morning.

• 11-10-2009 07:00 AM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

This write up is going to have to come in installments.

Halyz on the MP3. Althoughy a very reliable scooter that caught everyones eye all Haylz wanted to be riding was her beloved GTS, Rosie.

• 11-10-2009 07:05 AM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

The river crossing detour at Bega

Page 3 of 19 (280 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au