Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
ScooterAccessories

Airhawk seat cushion

Last post 01-12-2011 01:18 AM by nightrider. 32 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (33 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-19-2010 06:30 PM In reply to

Re: Airhawk seat cushion

what sized cushion would you put on a Gilera nexus pete? medium or large cruiser? I really wonna get one of these now

• 12-20-2010 07:31 AM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

Hi nightrider. Im only guessing here as I dont know the Nexus's seat but after looking at some pics I say the medium cruiser. 36x36cm 14"x14". Designed to fit touring, cruiser bike and larger dual purpose bike seats. What part of your butt is getting sore if thats not too personal?

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 12-20-2010 11:12 AM In reply to

I bought one for the 3000 km round trip to Stanthorpe on my GT200, was a bit weird as you say but at the end of each day I could still walk, I don't use it for everyday stuff but will always use mine on trips longer than 100-200kms

Brett

2006 GT200
    1971 Sprint Veloce
    Best of both worlds.
    http://71sprintveloce.blogspot.com/
  • 12-20-2010 09:01 PM In reply to

its my tail bone Pete, I always thought it was heat coming up from under the seat BUT! its the vibrations of the big 500cc motor wich causes numb bum, plus heat from the sun on top of the seat it self, the airhawk i believe eliviates all that

• 12-22-2010 05:59 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

Yes mate. the airhawk will help!

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
  • 12-23-2010 08:38 AM In reply to

Hmmm.  I have an AirHawk (medium cruiser) I use on my R1200 and it's an absolute godsend - that bike has quite a firm seat. No need for an aftermarket seat.

But it doesn't seem to work as well for me on the GTS, Pete - I think it's because the GTS cushion is so soft that I've already sunk onto the seat base before the AirHawk starts its job - it's not needed at all in the first 30-45 minutes, and after that it seems too late.  Somehow the Airhawk on top of the squishy seat isn't the same as the way it works on the firm seat ... but maybe I should persevere.

I like the stock seat shape, so I'm thinking I'll get better foam - as cut out  the bottom 2" or so under the rider and pillion (leaving the nose and rain cover pcket intact) and replace it with a new layer of more supportive foam, then replace the cover for a stock look. It would be cheaper than getting another airhawk!!!

For those of you getting AirHawk, the trick is NOT to inflate it much at all - it really shouldn't add to seat height.  It simply provides a layer of air cushioning (air acts like a rsiing rate spirng as it compresses) and spreads tha contact patch of your great fat (or small and shapely) bum ... so easing the pressure spots. Really, the while thing should be no more than 5mm - it works best at that level.

Sydney / Vespa PX150 & GTS250ie / BMW R1200R
  • 12-23-2010 11:27 AM In reply to

i had a airhawk for the satelis seat on long rides. it was good. i still have the airhawk but not the satelis. if you want to try one. let me know. if not then try a sheepskin. baaa!Smile

argentum melle
  • 12-24-2010 03:40 AM In reply to

nah....I had a sheepskin on there before silverflyer and it didnt really do much on long rides - id love to try out the airhawk Embarrassed

• 12-24-2010 07:53 AM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

Caroanbill:

But it doesn't seem to work as well for me on the GTS, Pete -

The strange thing is that I dont use the airhawk nearly as much as I did in the beginning. Maybe my seats are getting worn in or by bums getting less sensitive. Although saying that I did need it on the Bonnies first proper run and I'll still always carry it in the bottom of the bag on long trips.

Caroanbill:
    For those of you getting AirHawk, the trick is NOT to inflate it much at all - it really shouldn't add to seat height.  It simply provides a layer of air cushioning (air acts like a rsiing rate spirng as it compresses) and spreads tha contact patch of your great fat (or small and shapely) bum ... so easing the pressure spots. Really, the while thing should be no more than 5mm - it works best at that level.
    This is imperative. Its got to be almost to the point where there feels like there's no air in it, until you sit on it and you then feel the air moving around the pockets in the cushion, but almost deflated. Too much air and you're floating around like a drunk fart.

• 12-24-2010 03:26 PM In reply to

• Moida
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-22-2010
    • Posts 88

Just picked up my new x7 300 evo, and its seat is made of a sort of dropforged steel, I'm sure of it.  I'm planning a big trip down the great ocean road next week...  My first long ride.  There's not enough time at this time of year to get the airhawk delivered!

There may be some pain and suffering!

But it seems the airhawk is the way to go from the quality posts here.  I'll get one ordered in.  Thanks, y'all.

Piaggio x7 300 Evo... love it.

(*Please assume the following to be written after any statement I make, "not that I'm an expert, mind you.")
  • 01-09-2011 07:22 PM In reply to

• Moida
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-22-2010
    • Posts 88

Got my airhawk before my 400k ride (Down the Great Busy Ocean Road and back).  It certainly made the x7 more bearable.  Was still in considerable butt-pain(!) by the time I arrived in Apollo Bay, but it seemed as though it took a lot longer to get to that level of pain.  On the way back, I tried putting more air in, rather than trying to keep it almost flat, and it was MUCH nicer.

I think the x7's rock hard seat requires more air in the airhawk than it does for you guys' bikes*.  Then again, maybe it's just 'each to their own'.  

The airhawk certainly makes a big difference, and my expert (ha!) opinion is that you fiddle around with it a lot to get it just how you like it.

(*And I call myself a writer... tsk tsk...)

(*Please assume the following to be written after any statement I make, "not that I'm an expert, mind you.")
  • 01-10-2011 02:40 AM In reply to

so once you got the air pressure right Moida, would you say it worked and was comfortable?

• 01-10-2011 02:52 PM In reply to

• Moida
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-22-2010
    • Posts 88

Yep, definitely.  I don't think anything is going to be as comfortable as, say, a car seat (except a GoldWing, maybe!) over a long distance, but the airhawk certainly helps.

I've actually since recognised that for the short commute, the extra air is annoying.  But for long cruises, more air is better (in my particular case, anyway).  

In summary: It's a great product.  Fiddle about with it to suit your needs, and be prepared to adjust the air-level on the fly.  (By the way, it's extremely easy to put more air in.  Just pull over, take off your helmet, blow-in or let-out.  Simple.)

• 01-10-2011 04:05 PM In reply to

Wink If someone adjusts the Airhawk while you are still sitting on it it could look a bit Embarrasseding Stick out tongue

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 01-10-2011 10:09 PM In reply to

you could let some out while on the move at low speeds Whisper but pumping it back up would have to be a definete stop haha Big Smile

Page 2 of 3 (33 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au