Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Vespa

Heels on Scooter

Last post 12-10-2008 11:10 AM by Tubsta. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-09-2008 01:19 PM

Heels on Scooter

Hi all,

Question:  When I scoot, I wear calf high leather boots which have a high heel, ie 7cm.  They are real leather and zip up, and cannot be pulled off my leg.  Are these appropriate?

I overheard someone the other day say "oh I'd hate to see her in an accident with her 'stilettos'.  (I won't bother correcting the person telling him they are not stilettos.

I alternate between doc martins and my heels. (When I get to work all I have to change are my draggins then as I already have my heels).  In an accident, if I come off, docs or heels aren't going to make any difference in my eyes. The protection is more of a factor, and both being leather and sturdy, they are the same I would have thought.

Thoughts??

VS 125 - White
  • 12-09-2008 01:33 PM In reply to

• Tubsta
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-22-2007
    • Secret Test Track, South Gippsland, Australia
    • Posts 1,192

Re: Heels on Scooter

The boots are probably fine, the only problem I see is when you have to put your foot down and the stability issues of doing so with such high heels on Melbournes sub-standard roads.

I think if they are leather, people are getting confused with the vinyl version.  Vinyl will last 12 'til lunch time when you hit the deck.

"Being cold is the result of laziness" - Bunta Fujiwara

Current ride: Yamaha XT660Z Tenere.
    Gone: Piaggio MP3 400ie, too unreliable in the rain (think Italian electrics).

ScooterZine
  • 12-09-2008 01:58 PM In reply to

• WAY
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-23-2007
    • Posts 399

I would almost say that the boots are safer than the Docs as more of your skin is protected?  I am no expert at this though...

2009 Honda DN-01 pseudo scooter
  • 12-09-2008 02:11 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

In regards to the leather, yes they are great, but the heel itself, just remember that the shoe will not provide as much traction.  Also the height of the shoes will mean different 'feel' to your riding.  I have noticed this myself, that a heeled shoe, means you sit higher, and therefore mirrors etc might need to be adjusted.

2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 12-09-2008 03:53 PM In reply to

• mimsy
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-07-2008
    • Inner West, Sydney
    • Posts 126

Dakoda:
    a heeled shoe, means you sit higher, and therefore mirrors etc might need to be adjusted.

I thought that the heels would have your knees slightly more up under your chin by making your leg effectively longer from foot to knee when riding, not by raising your butt higher off the seat. When you put your foot down to stop, then you'd notice it. As long as you're not  clumsy ankle roller (like me) in anything higher than an inch or so, then a chunky, almost Cuban heel would work just as well as any other solid heel.

I think the initial comment was more about girls wearing strappy fancy heels, not boot wearers.

Green GTV250 called Howard Moon, styled for the leafy gent.
  • 12-09-2008 04:42 PM In reply to

They have a flat sole, not like a platform shoe.  I can see what you mean about putting your foot down on the road but they feel quite solid as the actual ball of my foot is level on the road (if that makes any sense! lol)

Yes they do feel different when I ride as my legs are slightly raised further than a right angle I would say but I have gotten used to that.  I don't think it makes my bum higher though. 

Mimsy - I was born with heels on I think lol so definately not rolling ankles at lights lol

VS 125 - White
  • 12-09-2008 04:42 PM In reply to

Dakoda:
    I have noticed this myself, that a heeled shoe, means you sit higher, and therefore mirrors etc might need to be adjusted.

Eh? How does that work Daks? Do you sit further back on the seat perhaps when in heels?

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 12-09-2008 05:30 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

Legs higher, not bum!  My error there :P It's a weird feeling.  I have also found that smooth soled shoes can be a pain, as you cant get grip onto the ground.

• 12-09-2008 05:44 PM In reply to

Dakoda:
    I have also found that smooth soled shoes can be a pain, as you cant get grip onto the ground.

Yep, even my steel caps, with all the tread that they have, still slip around a little at the lights & petrol station if I'm not careful. My next pair of boots may well be Doc Martins for the extra tread & height that they offer. I just hope they come in zip-ups as I don't really like the lace-ups.

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 12-09-2008 05:48 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

If you want a pair of Docs, I have a couple of pair, that are almost new, that I will sell to you, if they fit :) Just remember if you are a 8 normally then you go for a 6UK in the Docs

• 12-09-2008 08:32 PM In reply to

Ta but your great clod hoppers wouldn't fit my dainty pins. I find more shoes that fit in a kid's shoe store!

The Docs that you found for me on Ebay are paid for thanks... another package that will soon be arriving on my doorstep. I just hope my neighbours don't think I'm dealing drugs! Wink

Actually... they've seen the line of scooters that I've gone through so they already know what I'm addicted to. Big Smile

Wanda
  • 12-09-2008 08:44 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

ScootaChic:

Ta but your great clod hoppers wouldn't fit my dainty pins. I find more shoes that fit in a kid's shoe store!

The Docs that you found for me on Ebay are paid for thanks... another package that will soon be arriving on my doorstep. I just hope my neighbours don't think I'm dealing drugs! Wink

Actually... they've seen the line of scooters that I've gone through so they already know what I'm addicted to. Big Smile

They look great, I hope they are.

Don't worry, it's that time of year where everyone is getting things delivered.  I think I am in for at least 3 deliveries (that I know of) this week myself

• 12-09-2008 10:22 PM In reply to

Do it. Looks cool.

Heels. 

• 12-09-2008 11:55 PM In reply to

• modern
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-13-2008
    • VESPA ET2, 125 "S"
    • Posts 89

scootiegal:

Hi all,

Question:  When I scoot, I wear calf high leather boots which have a high heel, ie 7cm.  They are real leather and zip up, and cannot be pulled off my leg.  Are these appropriate?

I overheard someone the other day say "oh I'd hate to see her in an accident with her 'stilettos'.  (I won't bother correcting the person telling him they are not stilettos.

I alternate between doc martins and my heels. (When I get to work all I have to change are my draggins then as I already have my heels).  In an accident, if I come off, docs or heels aren't going to make any difference in my eyes. The protection is more of a factor, and both being leather and sturdy, they are the same I would have thought.

Thoughts??

sounds damn sexy to me...you should be fine

You goin to Brighton this weekend?
  • 12-10-2008 08:47 AM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

The boots should be fine and give you good ankle protection but for just one thing

The road is extremely abraisive and you will find yourself going through normal shoes far quicker then you ever have before. I tend to wear dress boots sometimes and from all the riding they tend to break pretty quickly and often the soles will leak water into them after a while whilst just walking on a wet surface. Ive ruined many a pair of shoes by just riding with them.

I also find with normal shoes that grip can be an issue with leather sole shoes and when i am wearing motorcycle boots you can just tell they were made to used whilst riding. They give you extra grip, height and weather protection. 

But that said apart from say the puma range of boots finding a dress boot is very difficult and can often detract from wanting to walk around all day in a daggy hard to walk in motorcycle boot

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au