Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Vespa

R-E or R-E-A in WA.

Last post 12-15-2008 01:05 AM by steve@ace. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-12-2008 01:42 PM

R-E or R-E-A in WA.

Hi all,

I got my learner's piece of paper (R-E).  3 out of 15 questions wrong - just passed!

Anyway, I'm about to book some lessons to prepare for the practical sometime early next year.  I have to decide what sort of bike I'd like to take the lessons in.

My understanding is: if you rock up to the practical on a scooter and pass you'll end up with an R-E-A, and if you do the practical on a <250cc motorbike and pass you'll get an R-E.  Is this right?

Would it make sense for me to do my lessons in a <250cc motorbike and go for the R-E?  If I pass I can then have the best of both world and could ride a 250cc scooter or a 250cc motorbike.

The problem is I only have a scooter and do not have access to a bike for practice.  Though I like the idea of being able to ride a bike realistically I'll be looking at something like a GTS250ie next.

Would people have any advice for me?

• 12-12-2008 01:57 PM In reply to

Re: R-E or R-E-A in WA.

Welcome to the forum!

Vladimir_Yorrick:
    I got my learner's piece of paper (R-E).  3 out of 15 questions wrong - just passed!

Oops! But you passed & that's the main thing

Vladimir_Yorrick:
    My understanding is: if you rock up to the practical on a scooter and pass you'll end up with an R-E-A, and if you do the practical on a <250cc motorbike and pass you'll get an R-E.  Is this right?

Yes that's right. Your license will depend on what vehicle you do the test on. ie if you turn up on an automatic bike then you'll get your automatic license the test is exactly the same you just won't have to worry about gears & clutch leaving you to focus on head checks etc. Many of our customers will do the test on an automatic for that reason - it's easier, less complicated & generally quicker to reach the stage where you're ready to do the test. However some will then go on & do the manual as it does leave you with more options such as the ability to hop on a motorbike or geared scooter.

Your decision will depend entirely on you and what you think you will want & need from your experience. Many of the instructors have a motorbike that they put their students on, not many have scooters available. It's for that reason that Ace has a nice little scheme available to make the whole process much easier for all concerned. Basically if you book lessons through one of the instructors that we use you're entitled to borrow our demo scoots for a lesson. If you want to do further lessons you're still able to borrow the scooters but we ask that you put a deposit down first.

Also once you have your learner's permit you're able to test ride our bikes with a shadow, a service that our mechanic is able to provide. We just happen to have a GTS250ie demo bike & it has got to be ridden to be believed. It's such a beautiful, steady, stable, smooth, powerful ride. I love it. Big Smile

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 12-12-2008 02:13 PM In reply to

Thanks for that ScootaChic.

Of course, the dream is to eventually get a GTS 300 Super ... just a unfortunate that you'd have to move up to a different class (R-A?) to be able to ride that.

What I'm thinking is ... when I eventually pass my R-E test, I'll still be riding a scooter around (live in W Leederville, work in St Georges Tce) but if I have enough savings I'd like to look into getting a second hand motorbike just to cruise around in for longer rides and over the weekend.  If I go for my R-E-A I can't do that (until at a year later?).

Yeah I might get the opinion of the guys at Alert where I have my lessons.

I notice that you had a PX200.  Since that is geared what sort of a license do you need to ride that? 

Vlad. 

• 12-12-2008 02:21 PM In reply to

Vladimir_Yorrick:
     Of course, the dream is to eventually get a GTS 300 Super ... just a unfortunate that you'd have to move up to a different class (R-A?) to be able to ride that.

That's right, you need to have had your RE-A license for a year to upgrade to an R-A. You don't need to if you want to go from an RE-A to an RE and I found out recently that you can also do your RE on a manual then do the R on a scooter such as the GTS300 Super! 

I did an advanced roadcraft course through Alert earlier in the year & had a blast while also working on riding skills. I like the way they encourage safe riding skills, including defensive riding, while also teaching you what you need to pass your test. In your case it would be worth your while going for a manual license I guess depending on whether you have a car or easy access to public transport until you pass your test.

PX200 is a manual scooter & so does require a manual license. I still haven't got myself organised to do the lessons & test yet but have decided to cut my losses & go for the GTS250ie as it's my dream bike & the one I wanted from the very start. I know I'll be happy with it as an all-rounder as it does commuting, joy rides & country twistie spins beautifully.

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 12-12-2008 04:48 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

Vladimir_Yorrick:

just to cruise around in for longer rides and over the weekend. 

Vlad. 

You wouldn't have any trouble doing that on a GTS 250ie
    Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 12-12-2008 05:17 PM In reply to

petegailey:
    Vladimir_Yorrick:

just to cruise around in for longer rides and over the weekend. 

Vlad. 

You wouldn't have any trouble doing that on a GTS 250ie

Definitely not and then he would have to come along on some of the group rides so we can show him some of the spectacular rides around Perth & surrounds. Cool

Vlad did you talk with a girl on a largish silver scooter at Innaloo shops earlier in the year? About 7 months ago? I know it's a wild guess I know but I can't shake the idea.

Wanda
  • 12-13-2008 01:03 AM In reply to

The quality 250cc scoots will do pretty much most of the stuff people want/are allowed to do, so its not necessary to get a bike to do that sort of touring - indeed you might find your range is better than a lot of bikes are! 

We've found that the main distinction as to the license people go for is previous experience coupled with future desire.  If you've ridden geared bikes before, then do the test on a bike and get the manual license.  If you haven't and only intend to ride scooters, then just get the auto license.  Much simpler, fewer lessons required.  We do have some people who get their auto license and then want a PX so they do the test again and get the auto restriction removed.  Unlike the over 250cc test, you don't have to wait a year to do it.  You can do it anytime you want, and you don't need to get another learners permit either.

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 12-13-2008 03:13 AM In reply to

ScootaChic:
    Vlad did you talk with a girl on a largish silver scooter at Innaloo shops earlier in the year? About 7 months ago? I know it's a wild guess I know but I can't shake the idea.
    Hmmm ... sounds somewhat dodgy :) Nah, must have been another bogan :) What made you think that? On Steve's reply ... I guess it is just my insecurity ... is that the right word? with riding a scooter when quite a few of my friends are full on 'bikers' ... maybe deep inside I think I'll get a bit more respek on the roads you know? But seriously, I've always wanted to be able to ride a motorbike. I've booked another lesson just after Christmas ... my first after I got my learner's permit ... I think I will try to go with the geared bikes ... if I feel that I am not quite ready by the time of the practical (it has to be booked well ahead) then maybe I can take a scooter there and hope to be happy with an R-E-A. Cheers, Vlad
  • 12-15-2008 01:05 AM In reply to

Vladimir_Yorrick:
    ScootaChic:
    Hmmm ... sounds somewhat dodgy :) Nah, must have been another bogan :) What made you think that? On Steve's reply ... I guess it is just my insecurity ... is that the right word? with riding a scooter when quite a few of my friends are full on 'bikers' ... maybe deep inside I think I'll get a bit more respek on the roads you know? But seriously, I've always wanted to be able to ride a motorbike. I've booked another lesson just after Christmas ... my first after I got my learner's permit ... I think I will try to go with the geared bikes ... if I feel that I am not quite ready by the time of the practical (it has to be booked well ahead) then maybe I can take a scooter there and hope to be happy with an R-E-A. Cheers, Vlad

Vlad - you've got to go with what feels right for you. We aren't out of the Dark Ages yet with how most bike riders consider scooters, but then we aren't the ones that wear leather waistcoats either.

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au