Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
ScooterAccessories

300cc musings

Last post 12-30-2008 10:35 AM by ferrix. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-24-2008 03:19 PM

300cc musings

So, it seems 300cc class is all the rage these days.  It makes sense to me: 300cc falls in the sweet spot where the scoot is still small enough (if only just) to make sense as an urban commuter, while at the same time it is already large enough (if only just) to go out on the open roads. I have done both on a 250cc motorcycle for a number of years so I know it works well enough, though it has to be said 250cc is not an ideal size for long distance touring.

Anyhow, we have SYM Citycom, Vespa 300GT and the just-in Aprilia Sportcity Cube 300, to name just a few... One thing I notice, they are all more expensive than the competing 250cc motorcycles, and I think that's a pity. Of  course, generally speaking scooters *are* more expensive than motorbikes of equivalent capacity and yes, I think that's a pity as well.

I'd love to get one of them (well - not a Vespa; I'm not a big fan of that style), but I can't really justify it. My Agility 125cc serves perfectly fine as a commuter, while my bike does the fun/long range duty. I suppose I could try to replace them both with a 300cc scoot, but I don't think I could bring myself to do that. As I was saying in another post, I am a bike rider first of all - I like my scooters but I certainly don't want to get rid of my motorcycle!

Oh well... maybe one day when I feel rich, I might replace Agility with one of these. Reading the reviews, it seems that Honda SH300 is actually a cut above the competition, in particular, above SYM Citycom. I wonder if Honda Australia is planning to bring this model down under, now that this class seems to be taking off?

• 12-24-2008 03:26 PM In reply to

Re: 300cc musings

ferrix:
    Reading the reviews, it seems that Honda SH300 is actually a cut above the competition, in particular, above SYM Citycom. I wonder if Honda Australia is planning to bring this model down under, now that this class seems to be taking off

I believe its coming in. As for it being a cut above the competition we'll have to wait & see. If the SH150 is any guide it will be one of the better options in its class.

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 12-24-2008 08:52 PM In reply to

• mild1
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane - Western Suburbs
    • Posts 228

I'm curious... anyone know if will we be getting the 'Beo 300?

Bolwell HD200
  • 12-25-2008 12:14 AM In reply to

• dozer.
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-26-2008
    • Albury, N.S.W
    • Posts 2,432

Beo 300 would be good here. Me, 2009 will most likely see me on a vespa gts super.
    DOZER.
  • 12-29-2008 12:51 PM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

I do think the 300 cc is just that another option, greater torque and a more all round usability for freeway work. I think the comparison to motorcycle pricing is a bit of give and take. Our scooter market is so small that the numbers ordered by our importers when it comes to pricing is not giving them a huge advantage. Also it costs just as much for a scooter from a manufacturer as it does a motorcycle so no bonus here. Most of the motorcycles in the learner class say like the honda cbr 125 have the looks that appeal but far from stack up against a scooter when it comes to all round useability and performance. 

Our ADR platform adds a significant cost in time and money also. 

So you may fork out a bit more on a scoot to start with but your will more then make up for that in the long run. 

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 12-29-2008 03:45 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

Aren't most of the 300's actually 278cc? I'm wondering if the extra 28cc is worth the extra thousand+ $'s, not that I've ridden one yet.  

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 12-29-2008 05:32 PM In reply to

petegailey:

Aren't most of the 300's actually 278cc? I'm wondering if the extra 28cc is worth the extra thousand+ $'s, not that I've ridden one yet.  

Actually given that the RRP of the GTS Super is only $200 more than the RRP of the GTS 250ie, I'd say that its a pretty darned good price! The Summer of Vespa promotion has really made it look like there is a bigger differential than there really is.

However, if you need to fit a back rack on the Super, then the price differential does creep back in.  But is it worth it?   I'd actually say that overall the GTS 250 is probably the better overall package, largely because the ability to really fang the 300 (and try hard not to!) does impact on the fuel usage a bit, so the range is a bit decreased compared to the 250.   But the 250 doesn't come in white just now, so the 300 is what's sitting in my garage at this precise moment Big Smile

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 12-29-2008 05:43 PM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

petegailey:

all round the 300 GTS super is all about a different style, increased dynamics and smidge of torque across the entire rev range. You would spend the money on the way it handle alone.

The GTS 250 is a cracker and I would have thought one of the best on the road, the 300 GTS is just that much better overall 

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 12-29-2008 07:12 PM In reply to

but, the issue I have is that i would have to go toan open motorbike liscence and would rather get a motorbike if i was going over 250cc.

But the 300cc vespa is pretty cool.

• 12-30-2008 10:35 AM In reply to

brahd79:

but, the issue I have is that i would have to go toan open motorbike liscence and would rather get a motorbike if i was going over 250cc.

But the 300cc vespa is pretty cool.

I think it's worth it to have a full unrestricted licence anyway because why limit yourself? And obtaining various licences doesn't get any easier so why not get it now? When I went for my bike licence a few years back I was kicking myself for not getting one at the same time  I got my car licence (a few years further back) when it would've involved just turning up and going for a quick ride around the block instead of booking weeks ahead and spending two days on training and tests...

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au