Scooter
Community

drawing the line_using wisdom

Last post 01-01-2009 12:05 PM by pillionp. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-30-2008 12:22 PM

• Magoo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-05-2008
    • WA
    • Posts 804

drawing the line_using wisdom

As my confidence in riding has grown, i get more bold in my attitude to riding and as such, if im in a posted zone that my scoot can handle, I usually keep to a cars right tyre track, but that also depends on road conditions. What im beginning to get fed up with is when i am following the posted limit and keeping with the flow of traffic, i occasionally get a twerp behind me wanting to overtake me(and beeping me to move over). I now wonder, for the sake of my own safety, weather i should still continue to be bold and maintain my right of position on the road, where applicable, or just be really cautious and stick to far left and let the impatient morons pass. Some recent episodes make me think to move over to keep the peace.

• 12-30-2008 12:35 PM In reply to

Re: drawing the line_using wisdom

I'm far from being an expert, but I certainly wouldn't!
    Proud owner of Rita, an Aprilia Mojito 150 in powder blue and cream.
  • 12-30-2008 12:49 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

If you are doing the posted limit, stuff em!  If you are under, and you feel it safer to let them pass, then do so.  But be careful, as they should not be overtaking you in your own lane.  I have had this happen, when they could have used the other lane, and they come so close it is quite scary.  At the end of the day, just stay with what you feel comfortable and safe with.  Don't let the idiots dictate how you ride.

2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 12-30-2008 12:54 PM In reply to

I am a firm believer in the concept of "owning the lane".

If you are doing the posted speed limit,  then ride in the RH half of the lane,  that way if a vehicle does try to pass you without giving you enough room,  you have somewhere to go.   

I also move around in my lane so that any vehicle following me is going to be unsure of my movements and will probably give me a wider berth if or when they pass me.

Deklan 

“It’s not the destination but the journey”
    Vespa GT200 in Grigio (Smokey Grey)

• 12-30-2008 01:32 PM In reply to

• Linz
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-09-2008
    • Macarthur, NSW
    • Posts 914

I use the WHOLE lane when Im riding to work..that is ..I sit in the RH side of the lane but will go to the LH side of my lane thru a bend, sit there for a bit and then move back to the RH side of MY lane.

If on a long straight I'll move side to side, in my lane, to buffer against on coming traffic

Don't look at WHO started it up, look at WHAT has been started up.....
  • 12-30-2008 03:13 PM In reply to

Stuscat you need to keep in mind that although your speedo says you're doing the limit you may well be doing 10-15km below the limit. This was proven on the ride to Freo recently where you thought we had been doing 70km/h when infact we were doing about 60.

Also you need to put your own safety above all else. If someone is determined to be a tosser then move over & let them pass because they may well take you out like a pin in a bowling alley in their stupid determination to be infront of the "bloody scooter".

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 12-30-2008 03:36 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

You need room to do the scooter pot hole dance

2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 12-30-2008 11:18 PM In reply to

Was riding home from the city this arvo and pulled up at the lights. I stopped neatly in the RH tyre track a good distance from the car in front (hey, I'm still on my Ls! Big Smile)

As I was patiently waiting, the woman in the car behind me drove straight past me and stopped at the lights in front of me as though I wasn't even there!!! I really think she was completely unaware that I had any right to my own lane and was oblivious that she had done anything wrong!

Therefore I have come up with a simple solution: All car drivers are to be implanted with a small electric receiver under the skin. All scooter/motorbike riders are to be issued with a small electric zapper which emits a harmless burst of electricity. It may be used every time a driver fails to respond to a dirty look or toot of the horn after doing something dangerous and stupid which puts a scooter-rider's safety in jeopardy.

Now, how do we sell this to the powers that be?

Proud owner of Rita, an Aprilia Mojito 150 in powder blue and cream.
  • 12-30-2008 11:29 PM In reply to

There would be a lot of car drivers that will say the same thing about motorcycle riders.

• 12-30-2008 11:31 PM In reply to

If all else fails, put a "I brake for tailgaters" sticker on the back of your jacket

and then underneath "Dont laugh, Im serious"

• 12-30-2008 11:54 PM In reply to

• Magoo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-05-2008
    • WA
    • Posts 804

ScootaChic:

Also you need to put your own safety above all else. If someone is determined to be a tosser then move over & let them pass because they may well take you out like a pin in a bowling alley in their stupid determination to be infront of the "bloody scooter".

exactly right and spot on. Case in point; today on the way home, i decided to keep very left and just bite the bullet and let em pass while on west coast road. 3 cagers did pass me and they were driving(if you can call it that) very erratically. Once they were in front, i felt a whole lot better and within a few seconds they weren't to be seen. It was then a peaceful 5 minutes of riding before another 2 cagers caught up to me so i repeated my keeping left, and they were once again, gone and i was left a peace.

• 12-30-2008 11:59 PM In reply to

• R1hoon
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-02-2007
    • Brisbane
    • Posts 439

if THEY are risking YOUR life with THEIR actions.......

get ANGRY

get VIOLENT 

get EVEN

now before you all get "holier than thou", tisk tisk tisking and "that proves nothing" etc etc blah blah

I've thumped rear view mirrors, punched closed drivers windows and stopped, accosted and screamed at sh1thead drivers 

and Every time  - I've felt SO MUCH BETTER.

I was going to write a witty and clever comment here, then thought "naa screw it" -- I'm just gunna be a smart a$$.
  • 12-31-2008 12:08 AM In reply to

• Magoo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-05-2008
    • WA
    • Posts 804

i have no problem with that.....just the thought of the cager taking you to court for verval abuse and or car damage

• 12-31-2008 12:26 AM In reply to

• R1hoon
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-02-2007
    • Brisbane
    • Posts 439

The point is .... don't get angry under your breath and resolve to write a strongly worded letter to the editor of the local paper.

JUST DON'T GET BULLIED AROUND.

I was going to write a witty and clever comment here, then thought "naa screw it" -- I'm just gunna be a smart a$$.
  • 12-31-2008 09:34 AM In reply to

Mmmmm.. I work on the "confusion method" use both LH & RH side of the lane depending on the road surface, in the past I have got angry now I just pull over and let them go past and enjoy my peaceful ride, sometimes its just easier to be the reed than the oak tree and bend according to the situation. Us scooter riders will get even in years to come when the world begins to run out of oil......
Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au