Scooter
Community

Jaycar LED Tail Lights - Not So Great

Last post 01-22-2009 07:32 PM by kiwiscoota. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-22-2009 05:24 PM

Jaycar LED Tail Lights - Not So Great

Hi guys, first post and it's a repost of something I put on OCAU a couple of days ago, thought it might be of interest to you.

While hanging out at the local Jaycar, I spotted some cheap LED tail lamp replacements that go into the normal bulb fitting and supposedly offer all the great advantages touted for LED lights (increased brightness, lower current drain, faster response) so I decided to try one out on my new scooter (Daelim S1).

I proceeded in a scientific fashion by first checking the brightness of the stock incandescent bulb with the brake lever held on.

The standard bulb casts a bright light over a large area, just what you need for a brake lamp.

Next, I put in the LED unit and took two pictures while standing in the same spots...

The results were somewhat disappointing. While the LED unit looks brighter when installing it and looking straight into it, the light doesn't spread anywhere near as much. This is particularly obvious from side on, where the lamp casts no light at all on the wall next to it.

I replaced the stock bulb, and I would have to recommend against anyone fitting these to their scooter. It seems that by shining all the light straight out the LED doesn't take advantage of the reflector, making a much smaller patch of light, which someone travelling behind may fail to spot.  To their credit, Jaycar were nice enough to give me a refund, and everything else I've bought from them has been good, but these LED lights are in no way a suitable replacement for a stock incandescent unit.

First: Daelim S1 125
    Then: Honda PCX 150
    Now: Honda CTX 700
    Filed under: , ,
  • 01-22-2009 07:32 PM In reply to

Re: Jaycar LED Tail Lights - Not So Great

Thanks for that post,  it clearly shows how useless the Jaycar LED lights were.

Deklan 

“It’s not the destination but the journey”
    Vespa GT200 in Grigio (Smokey Grey)

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au