Scooter
Community

squirted in the eyes with soapy water

Last post 01-24-2009 06:00 PM by silverflyer. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-22-2009 06:35 PM

• zuma
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2008
    • sydney`s beautiful northern beaches
    • Posts 92

squirted in the eyes with soapy water

i was listening to the radio today, the topic was bikes/scooters splitting lanes at lights.

there were alot of car drivers calling up and complaining, and while listening i heard a callers comment that i had to respond to.

a bus driver shared his thoughts on motor cyclists and said that when he was in his car he often thought of opening his car door

so as to cause an accident for the rider splitting a lane to the red light.

the host of the show had a laugh and an anti bike gripe, though did give his rasberry award. an award for a silly statement or action.

more car drivers rang laughing at this crazy statement, and swapped ideas on how to cause accident & injury to riders.

and all for moving through stopped traffic at a red light.

i rang the radio station and had my say, i was a little nervous calling the station but you have to do what you have to do,

and i did my best to get the point across.

then came the callers suggesting not only to squirt riders in the face with water pistols, but to use soapy water.

the radio host again had a laugh..  this stuff isn`t funny at all.

when you have the ability to influence thought as this radio host did, i believe that it is near criminal to joke about such actions.

and some people calling up were not joking.

i think people like this should be made accountable for what is very clearly a most stupid and potentially lethal attitude.

i would have expected more from this very very highly rating AM sydney talk back show.

i have since contacted the radio station, australian communications & media corp, media watch

( to get a copy of what i said while on air) and the station again in the hope of them giving permission for me to share with

scootercommunity what was said on air.

this permission may be given by the radio station once i have purchased the on air material from media watch.

my further actions will be based on the response i get from you guys...       -zuma.

• 01-22-2009 09:10 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

Re: squirted in the eyes with soapy water

OMG I knew there were some tossers in the world, but this is plain outright wrong, and indecent.  I think it all comes down to jealousy that a bike can filter and they cannot.  Okay so I am not a fan of filtering myself, I do it only on the left side lane, and only when it is a few cars, and I can see wel ahead, but hey that is me!

The fact that people are suggesting they open doors, and squirt the riders in the eyes is just depolrable, and wrong.  These people need to be weeded out of society.

Zuma, man you do what you have to do, and know you have the support of us here (I am sure I can say that with confidence).

2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 01-22-2009 09:15 PM In reply to

I've heard some appalling things being said on radio or tv,  but I can't think of anything as irresponsible as the stuff you heard.

I can only hope the federal communications authority throws the book at them.

Deklan 

“It’s not the destination but the journey”
    Vespa GT200 in Grigio (Smokey Grey)

• 01-22-2009 09:37 PM In reply to

Glad I've got my idiot cam, knuckle duster protective gloves & boots.  Pherk! those radio show shockjocks are such retards, & the dimwits who call in & support them are armchair heroes with issues.

Angry 

• 01-22-2009 10:25 PM In reply to

Wow, how scary - especially that assault against a minority group is being joked about on national radio, as this is essentially what it is! Surely there are some kind of vilification laws that prevent the support of assault and violence in the media...

Proud owner of Rita, an Aprilia Mojito 150 in powder blue and cream.
  • 01-22-2009 11:11 PM In reply to

• zuma
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2008
    • sydney`s beautiful northern beaches
    • Posts 92

thank you to everyone who posted on this topic, those who understand how idiotic such suggestions are.

i would really like for all members to post a response to the above, as a group we will be heard and as riders we should be safe from threats like this.

i will be contacting the motorcycle council tomorrow, i`d like to think they`d have a chat with the above mentioned radio host and set him (& others) straight on what is totally un-acceptable.

...so come on community, get posting so that we have something to show.

please remember that this is in the interest & safety of all us here.

• 01-22-2009 11:21 PM In reply to

• Magoo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-05-2008
    • WA
    • Posts 804

actually, thats a serious criminal act. They are revealing they have a murderous heart, motivation that can lead to murder. He should be stood down from that job. Will just breed agreement, untill some stupid dangerous idiot thinks its a wonderful idea and goes ahead with it. Yep, he needs to be revealed and shown up.
  • 01-22-2009 11:24 PM In reply to

• Magoo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-05-2008
    • WA
    • Posts 804

and, yes, rpmorrell, its a good idea to have an idiot cam
  • 01-22-2009 11:30 PM In reply to

• WAY
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-23-2007
    • Posts 399

This is outrages!  You should go to A Current Affair or TOday Tonight about this. 

2009 Honda DN-01 pseudo scooter
  • 01-22-2009 11:58 PM In reply to

• 15UZU
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-08-2009
    • Slacks Creek, QLD
    • Posts 1,140

OK...while I understand the motivation behind people getting up in arms with the attitude of the radio host, let's keep this in perspective. The motorcycle council is probably not going to do much at all about the matter since the topic in question, filtering or whatever you want call it, is illegal & a bookable offence. They will certainly act on the fact that a radio host is acting in a questionable manner, but they're not going to make themselves look like fools defending riders that are clearly breaking the law.

And before anyone asks - no, I do not filter....never have never will. I used to race mountain bikes & do road training & even then I did not filter. I've seen enough people knocked off their bikes from doing stupid things in traffic that I didn't want to be one.

2010 PGO X-Hot 150cc - clocking up the kays
    2006 Vmoto Monza 50cc - to be rebuilt......I wonder if I can get this TMAX 500 engine in here??? o_O
    2005 Vmoto Monza 50cc - in the rebuild phase
    2002 Aprilia SR50 50cc - currently out on loan
  • 01-23-2009 12:14 AM In reply to

15UZU, according to one of the big motorcycle websites (not sure which one - our search engines have a virus!) they state that there are no specific laws to ban filtering, and if done safely there are no laws that riders can be charged under.

I'm too scared to do it so I have nothing to contribute on that front!!!!

Proud owner of Rita, an Aprilia Mojito 150 in powder blue and cream.
  • 01-23-2009 09:02 AM In reply to

• Denni
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Gold Coast
    • Posts 994

This was irresponsible of the radio station to allow the topic to continue.

Where was his duty of care to the general public. There have been serveral cases where the public have taken the radio stations to court.

One court deemed the station owes a duty of care to the listeners-to prevent others from being inured.

In certain circumstances they have a liability for audience actions

I wonder if the shoe was on the other foot and it was a relative of the radio host that had soapy water squirted in their eyes and they lost control of their cycle/scooter/motorbike and were seriously injured would he think it such a great joke.

Trusty 'Beo has found a new home.
    New adventures on the BMW 650.

• 01-23-2009 09:34 AM In reply to

Bloody w@nkers...

Tassie's number one scooter dealer.

www.scootershoplaunceston.com.au

info@scootershoplaunceston.com.au
  • 01-23-2009 11:56 AM In reply to

• GeeKay
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-30-2008
    • Perth
    • Posts 312

The problem with these talkback radio hosts is that they thrive on the controvosy - even if you win a court case against them the publicity that they garner will increase their ratings and that's the bottom line with the media industry.

He is, however, guilty of aiding and abetting his callers to incite violence. Now, I may be mistaken but didn't the government introduce new laws a few years ago to prevent people incitng violence in the media?

VMoto Milan JX50 - The farce is strong with this one!
  • 01-23-2009 12:13 PM In reply to

• Denni
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Gold Coast
    • Posts 994

GeeKay:
    The problem with these talkback radio hosts is that they thrive on the controvosy - even if you win a court case against them the publicity that they garner will increase their ratings and that's the bottom line with the media industry.

Yes, unfortunately you are quite right GeeKay

As they say there is no such thing as bad publicity.

Trusty 'Beo has found a new home.
    New adventures on the BMW 650.

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au