Scooter
Community

Improve your scooter with Dr. Pulley products.

Last post 07-25-2014 05:29 PM by dbm. 26 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-23-2009 11:08 PM

• niks
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-22-2009
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 1,114

Improve your scooter with Dr. Pulley products.

Hi I have just recently installed a couple of Dr. Pulley items on my 300cc Majesty.

1. I replaced the standard rollers with Dr. Pulley sliders giving a weight of 12 Gram per unit, standard is 14.1.

2. Fitted a Dr.Pulley clutch with a 25 deg pillow and springs on the lighter side of the available range.

3. Installed a Kevlar belt. Results to date. No hesitation or jerkiness at slow speeds Higher revs through the range on acceleration till cruise speed reached then drops lower than before the change.

0 to 100 klm is seconds faster than standard approx 3 seconds.

I feel that i have more control over the bike as the throttle application produces a very responsive bike. When decelerating I now have more noticeable engine braking than before.

Tested bike over a 245 klm country run at speeds up to 110 and through hills with steep gradients and strong wind gusts which at one time literally blew me across the road.

the bike performed better than expected with no slippage or power loss that was experienced prior to the upgrade. the bike feels safer, it accelerated rapidly when the throttle was activated.

Achieved a fuel consumption of 4.25 litres per 100 Klm or about 66 miles per gallon in imperial measurement which is a slight improvement over the standard setup.

I highly recommend the Dr. Pulley products as they are very well made from quality material and i expect a lot longer life than the original items especially the sliders as the design ensures greater contact area of the slider to the part moving over it on acceleration/deceleration. the sliders also feel more slippery than the original rollers, the rollers i removed had only 13,000 klm on them, yet they were showing wear flat spots.

What next??? Well after discussing my results with Paul Wu from Dr. Pulley he made a number of recommendations mainly to fit the 60 deg pillow to the clutch unit and change the slider weights.

These changes will be made when time is available to me over the next couple of weeks so stay tuned for the next installment of..... Improve your ride with Dr. Pulley.

All scooters should come standard with at least the sliders

Majesty YP 250 plus. "the way to go".
  • 01-23-2009 11:49 PM In reply to

Re: Improve your scooter with Dr. Pulley products.

Thanks for reporting on your findings. Sounds like you're very pleased with the outcome. Have you lost any top end speed? I've heard that can sometimes happen with certain modifications -- better acceleration at lower end, but slightly slower at high end?

Also, do you mind telling us how much it has all cost? You seem to have saved a lot by doing the work of installation yourself.

Mack Truck
  • 01-23-2009 11:51 PM In reply to

• haro
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-23-2008
    • Brisbane
    • Posts 125

Geeez that was easy to read. You should try some spaces or something instead of just one massive paragraph. Indifferent
  • 01-24-2009 12:14 AM In reply to

• eel
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-12-2007
    • Posts 35

Mygod, where do I get this?

• 01-24-2009 10:29 AM In reply to

they are good aren't they?

i am a fan of the triangular rollers. i will br getting some into the scooters in the future. 

argentum melle
  • 01-24-2009 03:25 PM In reply to

• niks
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-22-2009
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 1,114

I actually typed it out with spacing etc and it just lumped together when posted can anyone advise me how to fix this please.

The cost was SR2012 sliders US$ 40.00

HiT201205 clutch  US$220  express freight was 45 US$

Installment took a couple of hours as mechanic never had correct tools so it should have taken 1 to 11/2hours on a majesty we also changed the pillow on the clutch but i am going to change it back after talking with rep from Dr. Pulley.

Top speed actually increased I got to 120klm/h with ease and still could have accelerated faster but with gusting winds i chickened out (my pacemaker couldn't handle it lol joking.) 

An Australian agent should be appointed in Melbourne in the near future will keep you all posted. 

• 01-24-2009 10:01 PM In reply to

As fun as after market trans mods are, most will result in increased wear and worse economy - rollers and pulleys particularly. OEM kit from reputable manufacturers is made for a compromise of acceleration, economy & life. Sure, replacing parts results in some short term gain, but long term these parts will wear out faster, and cost more to replace...

Kevlar belts too are a bit of a conundrum, as a little bit of stretch from a standard belt it seems can help acceleration, absorbing the first power surge (or my mechanic told me anyway). The Kevlar does not give (at all), and results too in more load on bearings and other elements usually protected by a little softness in a standard belt.

Nothing wrong with all this of course! I've done the same myself a number of times... Enjoy! Just do not believe all the 'Polarizer' information the after market manufacturers use... Neko.

• 01-25-2009 12:26 AM In reply to

Kuroneko:

As fun as after market trans mods are, most will result in increased wear and worse economy - rollers and pulleys particularly. OEM kit from reputable manufacturers is made for a compromise of acceleration, economy & life. Sure, replacing parts results in some short term gain, but long term these parts will wear out faster, and cost more to replace...

Kevlar belts too are a bit of a conundrum, as a little bit of stretch it seems can help acceleration, absorbing the first power surge (or my mechanic told me anyway). The Kevlar does not give (at all), and results too in more load on bearings and other elements usually protected by a little softness in the belt.

Nothing wrong with all this of course! I've done the same myself a number of times... Enjoy! Just do not believe all the 'Polarizer' information the after market manufacturers use... Neko.

And presumably any after-market mods will also void the scooter manufacturer's warranty. I'll give it some thought, but to be honest, for the moment I'm finding my Scarabeo's acceleration & top speed more than satisfactory. Of course, I may feel differently in the morning...

Mack Truck
  • 01-25-2009 10:46 PM In reply to

• niks
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-22-2009
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 1,114

There are mods and then there are mods. Correctly chosen and applied mod do not lead to greater wear and tear.

All machinery today is built to a price and with the desire you replace it every year, this is why the model change annually. As someone with a lifetime of engineering skills of design,  implementing and repair I have examined all aspects to the modifications I have implemented and I would not do something that's going to fail early or affect my rides performance in the negative. I like to take a well designed scooter (Yamaha) and enjoy the challenge to improve it into something that going to bring me many years of riding pleasure and is different from the rest, maybe its because im not a sheeple and don't like the notion of one size fits all hahahahahaBig Smile

1. rollers develope flat spots within 10.000klm of use. Sliders will definitely last a lot longer than this, because of the design and the material they are made from is self lubricating.

A slack belt results in slippage and increased wear not less as claimed.

A clutch and variator combination that's balanced for the particular scooter will result in better use of rpm and my particular set up with DR Pulley gives me more top end speed with less revs than the original set up and smoother take of with no hesitation and provides engine braking when throttle is backed off, this makes life safer on the scoot and less wear on the brakes so longer life again.

So the moral of the story is to get advice from someone who has actually had experience in doing the mods your interested in instead of rely on hearsay evidence of some heard that someone had a short life span on his scoot because of it being modified.

Also understand what you are hoping to achieve. trying to turn a 50cc scoot into a highway cruiser is definitely a recipe for disaster, but to make it just that bit more nippy around town may be good but will the cost justify the end??? 

• 01-26-2009 01:06 PM In reply to

i have had dr pulley triangular rollers mated with a malossi variator and kelvar belt. good combination as the belt reduces slack in the belt and the variator has a different slope to the original. so the acceleration is different to original. it was more smoother.

argentum melle
  • 01-26-2009 06:13 PM In reply to

• niks
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-22-2009
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 1,114

hi can you give us more info like what model scooter, please 

• 01-27-2009 04:47 PM In reply to

it was a kymco/bug hawk 250

argentum melle
  • 01-27-2009 05:25 PM In reply to

Slightly OT on this ADVERTISEMENT thread but...

I have found that Malossi rollers wear very quickly compared to Yamaha OEM and even the (can't remember the brand) ones I get from scootercenter are much more durable.

I agree that aftermarket parts are often, but not always, of inferior quality to OEM. But I still buy them and learn my lessons as I go... I am currently running aftermarket parts from; Malossi, Hebo, Airsal, Top Performance, Arecche, Dellorto, BGM... Am happy with all of them. If I am not happy I'll pull them off and replace them with something better or the original part.

• 02-05-2009 06:05 PM In reply to

Innocenti69:

Slightly OT on this ADVERTISEMENT thread but...

I have found that Malossi rollers wear very quickly compared to Yamaha OEM and even the (can't remember the brand) ones I get from scootercenter are much more durable.

I agree that aftermarket parts are often, but not always, of inferior quality to OEM. But I still buy them and learn my lessons as I go... I am currently running aftermarket parts from; Malossi, Hebo, Airsal, Top Performance, Arecche, Dellorto, BGM... Am happy with all of them. If I am not happy I'll pull them off and replace them with something better or the original part.

Hi,

For high quality roller, you can visit the webpage of http://www.unionmaterial.com/Wear%20Resistance.htm

the round roller or sliding roller is molded from self-lubricated PA46 composites, its features are:

1) lowest friction coefficient-- for the rolling or sliding easily

2)high wear rresistance -- longer durability

3)contained no any abrasive filler such as glass fiber--no wear to Aluminum-made variator.

• 03-03-2009 08:15 PM In reply to

• niks
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-22-2009
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 1,114

Update on Dr. Pulley clutch, I have been experimenting with the clutch pillows and after running up a thousand kilometres with the 25 degree pillows installed I found excessive vibration from transmission during acceleration after talking with Paul from Dr. Pulley I reinstalled the 40 degree pillows and the transformation was wonderful, vibration disappeared and acceleration was smoother. These products lend themselves to individual fine tuning of your scooter to suit your needs.  The Italians use these clutches to achieve wheelies but I think one is taking extreme risks in doing this. I now have better acceleration/ economy acceptable with a noticeable increase in top end cruise speed/lower revs. 

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au