ADVERTISEMENT

Scooter
Community

Removing Airbox Restrictor from Daelim S1

Last post 04-04-2011 10:46 PM by kyza. 36 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (37 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-01-2009 07:25 PM

Removing Airbox Restrictor from Daelim S1

While tinkering with my new S1, I decided to have a look around the intake system to see how everything fits together.

I started by making a short video of the stock scooter starting up and revving in place, to compare volume after any changes.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=Synu7kNQpYM

The airbox is pretty well-sized and sucks in air from the hole at the bottom.

Removing the screws around the sides of the box allows you to separate the two halves.

On the right-hand side of the picture, you can see the rubber hose that takes in air that has passed through the filter and runs to the throttle.  The left-hand section of the box includes the filter and the air intake.

The filter is a neat-looking panel that wouldn't add to much restriction to the airflow, being about half the size of the one in a 100hp small car.

What isn't so neat-looking is this funny rubber snorkel stuck over the intake hole, which diverts the airflow straight into the opposite wall of the airbox to the filter.

The crinkly stuff on the bottom of the snorkel is a tar-like glue that only weakly holds it in place, and it easily slides out without having to undo any screws or clips.

This thing is surprisingly heavy, being made of a dense rubber with four thin channels letting air through.  It certainly looks like a good sound-deadening measure, but not such a good thing for moving air.

With the restrictor removed and the airbox reassembled, the engine takes on a more "growly" sound, as you can hear in the vid below.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=FVCVZHJVmJE

On the road, takeoff felt about the same, but once moving it seemed to build speed more easily (e.g. 60-80 felt a lot quicker)

Unfortunately, I couldn't think of a way to work a stopwatch with both hands full, so I'll restrict my performance verdict to saying it felt a bit better, and sounded a lot cooler when leaving the lights.  I'll be checking fuel consumption over the next week to see if that improves, as the scooter seemed to be using less throttle to maintain a constant speed.

If anyone else wants to try this and can find a way of directly measuring power or acceleration, I'd like to hear the results.

Then: Daelim S1 125
    Now: Honda PCX 150
    Filed under: , , ,
  • 02-01-2009 07:54 PM In reply to

• kyza
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-14-2008
    • Posts 62

Re: Removing Airbox Restrictor from Daelim S1

That is interesting. Thanks.  "In the 4th Picture, is that rectangle box Glues on.....as well as screwed" EDIT...Yes it is. Sorry, I got excited, as I did not know it was "restricted" May be a reason for it. I will hunt down my workshop manual, I acquired. And I doubt it would improve fuel efficiency, as they are already good. Thanks for pulling your new Daelim apart, you save me from doing mine. I would be interested in what that box does. And interested if your fuel consumption figure change. Can you tell me with out breaking the law what is the top speed.... if scooter is run in...with this MOD. And I will tell you mine with out your mod when I can find some 110km roads. On a flat road of course.

Edit, I have read the service manual, and that piece you took out does not appear to be shown in the manual. So it could be still there. just cannot see it. It is a English service manual. Maybe our Australian models have had changes to meet LAM " learner approved motorbike/scooter.

cheers

kyza

"I have a real Scooter, a Daelim S1"
  • 02-01-2009 09:31 PM In reply to

Kyza, the piece I removed is not screwed in at all, there is a small slot that it slides into, with some tar-like "glue" over the end.  It slides out very easily, but you do need to open the airbox up by undoing the 7 phillips-head screws around the sides, then pull out the plate with the filter element.

I would guess from the density of the restrictor that it's more to control noise than power, taking it out certainly makes more noise, with a deeper "parp" sound when you rev it.

I haven't tried any top-speed runs on it, as I am still on my L-plates, which gives me no points to risk on speeding tickets, and I only use the scooter within about 20km of the Sydney CBD.  I reached 80km/h very easily today, and it felt like there was more on offer, but I'm unlikely to ever need to go that fast in the city.

• 02-01-2009 10:29 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,370

Considering the S1 will get to around 110 top speed, there should be more to offer as well when you have it up to 80!

2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 02-02-2009 11:09 AM In reply to

Its not a restrictor like on a 50cc scoot, it forms part of the air intake system. We think you've leaned her out, have you thrown a temp gauge on it to see how hot its running now? 

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 02-02-2009 11:39 AM In reply to

Scooter HQ:

Its not a restrictor like on a 50cc scoot, it forms part of the air intake system. We think you've leaned her out, have you thrown a temp gauge on it to see how hot its running now? 

No, where would I attach such a gauge?  It's air-cooled so I can't just read off the radiator lines like in a car.  If I put a temp sensor on the oil line or such, what should the temp be?

This is the first time I've worked on a scooter so I'm still figuring out which bits do what, I'd assume the S1 has an oxygen sensor in the exhaust to run the injection, maybe I could hook up one of those Jaycar fuel ratio displays?

• 02-02-2009 11:44 AM In reply to

• kyza
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-14-2008
    • Posts 62

Thanks Scooter HQ, that has now sorted it out. Hope eviladrian  has not caused any damage. Wish Daelim S1 had a temp gauge. That would make it easy to find out. He may just ware his scooter out faster. I wounder if MIL "Malfunction Indicator lamp" has not come on yet. Maybe he is not traveling fast enough to over heat. He only ever gets to 80Km/h

cheers

kyza

• 02-02-2009 12:47 PM In reply to

kyza:
    Wish Daelim S1 had a temp gauge

I'm talking about something specifically measuring the exhaust temp. Normal temperature guages wouldn't measure this.  

www.scooterhq.com.au

• 02-02-2009 01:08 PM In reply to

Scooter HQ:
    I'm talking about something specifically measuring the exhaust temp. Normal temperature guages wouldn't measure this.  

Aw man, EGT sensors are expensive Sad

Still, you've raised a good point about fuel ratios being affected, I'm going to look at ways of measuring that and see if it's adversely affected by changes to the intake.

I'm the first to admit I'm only a novice with scooter engines, but I believe in trying things out for myself and testing the results.

• 02-02-2009 01:33 PM In reply to

eviladrian:

So are valves, pistons, rings, barrells & labour

www.scooterhq.com.au

• 02-02-2009 02:07 PM In reply to

Scooter HQ:

eviladrian:

So are valves, pistons, rings, barrells & labour

Touché Wink

• 02-02-2009 02:29 PM In reply to

It doesn't always follow that derestricting the intake tract results in lean running. Too complicated to explain here.

The first thing I'd be doing now though is trying the next size of main jet (and the next until you notice a deterioration of performance at WoT - overly rich).

Certainly it is cheaper to increase your fuel consumption slightly than it is to burn your motor.

• 02-02-2009 02:51 PM In reply to

• kyza
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-14-2008
    • Posts 62

On the subject of Daelim S1, does any body know if Daelim make their own motors. I saw a review on line on the Daelim S2, and he said it was made by Kymco?

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=1XeR7d43UrU

• 02-02-2009 03:05 PM In reply to

Innocenti69:
    It doesn't always follow that derestricting the intake tract results in lean running. Too complicated to explain here.

The first thing I'd be doing now though is trying the next size of main jet (and the next until you notice a deterioration of performance at WoT - overly rich).

Certainly it is cheaper to increase your fuel consumption slightly than it is to burn your motor.

It's EFI, so no worries about carby jets.  If it's anything like most car motors it should have a closed-loop system where the computer adds more fuel to keep the ratio correct.  I'm going to look at hooking up a fuel/air ratio meter to check this.

If it was a carby I wouldn't be mucking with it, but I'm good with wires and chips so I feel more confident experimenting.

• 02-02-2009 03:27 PM In reply to

kyza:
    On the subject of Daelim S1, does any body know if Daelim make their own motors. I saw a review on line on the Daelim S2, and he said it was made by Kymco

Don't know about the S2 but on your S1 the engine is made by Daelim in Korea. I have heard some amazing claims made on the internet. One person reads or hears "copy of a Honda ....", the next person says "same as the Honda....."  then " Made by Honda".

KYMCO are an engine supplier - PGO Gmax 250 runs KYMCO engine as do heaps of others. TGB are big on Variators,  transmissions & supply other makers. You would be very surprised to find out what is actually powering what.

www.scooterhq.com.au

Page 1 of 3 (37 items) 1 2 3 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au