Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Aprilia

Show off!

Last post 05-06-2009 03:18 PM by INMA. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-04-2009 06:01 PM

• Magoo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-05-2008
    • WA
    • Posts 804

Show off!

I was on west coast drive a week ago and I saw in my mirror that a motorbike was slowly approaching from behind. He finally came up and rode beside me, me being in the left tyre track, him being in the right. He stayed side by side with me for about 5-10 seconds, then he took off ahead, faster than I could blink. One word for that..........showpony! He was on a ducati, the other same instance weeks before that, a kawasaki rider did the same thing. Im on a 50cc scooter.....I know anyone can thrash me Derrrrr.

• 02-04-2009 06:05 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

Re: Show off!

Those kinds of people are frustrated.  They have those bikes because they need to accomodate for something they are lacking.

One day you will see them hoon past you, and then a bit down the track you will see them on the side of the road talking to the boys in blue.  Trust me when you see this, you will laugh so hard you will almost come off your scooter.

2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 02-04-2009 06:22 PM In reply to

• Magoo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-05-2008
    • WA
    • Posts 804

lol, i certainly look forward to that day  hehe

• dozer.
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-26-2008
    • Albury, N.S.W
    • Posts 2,432

Stuscat:
    He was on a ducati

I dont care that I'm one of the biggest advocates of scooters, you NEVER, NEVER, *** with Ducatis, its just not worth it.Big Smile

I do however, would like to see a GP800 Gilera dual a Duc.

DOZER.

• Dazzer
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-20-2008
    • Sandgate,north brizzy
    • Posts 125

I had a Fire bird rider do the same to me , Then when I caught up with him at the lights ,I lent over and asked if he now wanted a drag as well.... The look on his face was priceless

Riding a Zip50 and a 250 virago
  • 02-04-2009 09:04 PM In reply to

I really hate it when they do that. I'm still a bit tentative on my scooter in heavy traffic (I ride 40km each way in peak hour every day after being on my Ls for only a couple of months) and I might be busy looking ahead to see what the traffic is doing, checking that the cars/buses on either side aren't trying to kill me, avoiding the dreadful potholes on the road and checking whether the 40km/hr school zones are in effect, when suddenly a d!ckhead on a motorbike (and often a scooter I'm afraid to say!) who must be able to see my L plates, cuts straight past me in my lane at full pelt.

Now I am an advocate of using my whole lane, so I could just as easily be veering across to avoid aforementioned pothole and be absolutely wiped out because some idiot doesn't think I am going fast enough. It's a real shame that it is not only four-wheeled drivers that we need to be worried about, but 2 wheeled as well.

Proud owner of Rita, an Aprilia Mojito 150 in powder blue and cream.
  • 02-04-2009 09:13 PM In reply to

Yeah that can be a bit off putting.

Riding my little (start)Today(arrive tomorrow) 50 to work along Alexander Drive in the right hand wheel track of the left lane, I would regularly have larger bikes fly past in the left-hand wheel track. The first few times it was a shock, but like anything it became a normal occurance after a while.

It's unfortunate that stuff like that happens but similar stuff can happen in a car (I wouldn't want to drive a Getz!) but obviously you don't feel quite so exposed and of course driving in a car is nowhere near as much fun as riding a scooter around.

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 02-04-2009 09:17 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

sissyhankshaw:

I really hate it when they do that. I'm still a bit tentative on my scooter in heavy traffic (I ride 40km each way in peak hour every day after being on my Ls for only a couple of months) and I might be busy looking ahead to see what the traffic is doing, checking that the cars/buses on either side aren't trying to kill me, avoiding the dreadful potholes on the road and checking whether the 40km/hr school zones are in effect, when suddenly a d!ckhead on a motorbike (and often a scooter I'm afraid to say!) who must be able to see my L plates, cuts straight past me in my lane at full pelt.

Now I am an advocate of using my whole lane, so I could just as easily be veering across to avoid aforementioned pothole and be absolutely wiped out because some idiot doesn't think I am going fast enough. It's a real shame that it is not only four-wheeled drivers that we need to be worried about, but 2 wheeled as well.

I agree.  I had some massive Herley lane split the other night in moving traffic past me!  I heard him, but just assumed he was behind me somewhere, and the next thing I know he is between me and another car!  Lunatic!  I too like to dodge pot holes etc.  Cars can go over them, and not even notice, but if you hit them on a scooter, you are likely to fall thru to China!
  • 02-04-2009 09:20 PM In reply to

Dakoda:
    I too like to dodge pot holes etc.  Cars can go over them, and not even notice, but if you hit them on a scooter, you are likely to fall thru to China!

Or chip your teeth as you bounce over them!

Proud owner of Rita, an Aprilia Mojito 150 in powder blue and cream.
  • 02-05-2009 02:39 PM In reply to

or sumdge the lipstick you are applyinng. or coffee you are drinkingBig Smile

known as temporary organ donors

argentum melle
  • 05-06-2009 01:22 PM In reply to

Stuscat:
    He stayed side by side with me for about 5-10 seconds, then he took off ahead

Oh I reckon you lot are a bit paranoidStick out tongue I regard it as a bit of a sign of solidarity.

On the highway a few weeks ago I was sitting on 100kph and saw a bike approaching in my rear view obviously he was going faster, there was no traffic and he sat just behind me to the right for a short time and then pulled beside me, it was a great big Honda Vstar bristeling with crome and panniers and all the gear.

I found it a bit disconcerting as I was wondering what he was doing and havng to keep an eye on him but we exchanged nods and then he continued past.

Just a bit of two wheeled brotherhood I reckon. Plus he might have been mildly amused at at my 125 loaded with camping gear screaming up the highway.Yes

Do more with less Cygnus125 then 250Virago
    Get outa town the wheels wont stop
    alias Hardly Viragoson
  • 05-06-2009 01:36 PM In reply to

Most riders are great but the ones who wont be passed by a scooter are great fun to play with. Usually crap riders making up for it with 1000 +cc's of non surgical enlargement, it's amazing what they will do just to stay infront of a scooter. Especially when you make it really hard for them Big Smile.

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 05-06-2009 01:38 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

Scooter HQ:

Most riders are great but the ones who wont be passed by a scooter are great fun to play with. Usually crap riders making up for it with 1000 +cc's of non surgical enlargement, it's amazing what they will do just to stay infront of a scooter. Especially when you make it really hard for them Big Smile.

I agree, if you can't beat em, play with em!
  • 05-06-2009 02:22 PM In reply to

Scooternut:
    (I wouldn't want to drive a Getz!)

awwww, c'mon Nut-star-deluxe, I have a Getz. Sure they understeer like a pig, and they run Jianshe shock absorbers, but they're a beaut little machine... Big Smile

I remember I was riding my road bike (pushie) down Scarborough Beach Road one evening, and got caught up at the lights around Innaloo there, just near the shops. There's a few sets of lights in a row, and we managed to get red on every set. Being on a pushie, I'd stop on the line at each red light, doing a track stand (handlebars turned a bit to one side, both feet on the pedals, just balancing). And on each occasion, there was a guy on a jap bike next to me, looking me up and down as if to say "smart @rse".... next red light, same again...... next red light, same again.... till the last set of lights. He took one look at me as if to say "beat this, smarty", and on the green, he took off on his back wheel as far down Scarb Beach road as I could see... Bloody funny...

Tassie's number one scooter dealer.

www.scootershoplaunceston.com.au

info@scootershoplaunceston.com.au
  • 05-06-2009 03:18 PM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 830

HQ, your right about some bikers not happy to be behind a scooter.

I ride past about 3km of cars stuck in traffic most mornings, most cars see me coming know I am a regular and I am gone before anyone cares.  Some days larger bikes will start racing me through the cars, I am at least 100mm narrower turn in no space and geared for the craw and accelerate needed to get past the lines of cars with minimum fuss.

I still get the occasional big bike using every bit of power they have millimeters from cars driven by ego making sure they stay ahead of my morning cruise.  I have even had them block the gap so I can't pass them when the gap is clearly to small for them and I can easily fit.

Its cheap entertainment, not sure what the car drivers think when the dodgy riders attack the gaps like there is a terrorist chasing them with a suicide bomb.

After all that I get back in the traffic with the same cars and cruise past the line of cars and I appreciate their manners and they envy my ride unless it rains then I envy their ride and they have a laugh at the idiot soaked on the scooter.

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au