Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Honda

15 Mins Late :(

Last post 03-23-2009 11:47 PM by leasaunce. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-24-2009 10:43 AM

15 Mins Late :(

Hi Guys,

Just a whinge session......

Ok, so I booked my riders training course here in Sydney. The closest was Loftus, about 45min drive from Clovelly in Sydney. I was uber excited so i got there half an hour early on Saturday, did the course, went home. On Sunday however I woke up at 7:44am, needing to be there at 8:00.......... deodrant.....changed...... and out the door, got there in record time (im not proud of it though), 15 mins late.....

Instructor: Sorry mate, you can't join in!

Me: Really sorry mate, I slept through 3 alarm clocks, and I have just done a 45 minute drive in 20minutes, there must be something we can do...... either I can stay later

Instructor: Ive got things at home to do.

Me: What have I missed?

Instructor: Ride Craft

Me: No problems, can I join in for the 2nd session this afternoon for the 15 minutes I missed?

Instructor: No Chance

Me: Oh, it will take me another 3 months to book into this course in Sydney

Instructor: Oh Well

What a joke, its going to be a long 3 months unless someone cancels their course.

"Ride it right Motor Cyce techniques" was the instructors

• 02-24-2009 11:23 AM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

Re: 15 Mins Late :(

Hmmmm maybe a bit harsh, but they have start times for a reason!

2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 02-24-2009 11:58 AM In reply to

I understand start times are for a reason, however on saturday we waited half an hour for a clown to go home and get changed, who turned up to the training in t-shirt , shorts and thongs.... funny thing is.....he never came back.

I think there should be some leeway regarding this as it is a 45-60 min trip from home, not my choice of location.

Considering I canned my $75, I thought the RTA could do something at least, but their suggestion is drive 2 hours North or 2 hours south and stay there for 2 days whilst I am doing the course??

Am just a little peeved as Ive got 3 scooters in the garage, 1 for sale, 1 for the girlfriend who has an International Licence, and My Scooter, sitting there gathering dust, while I wait for the government to implement s stratergy to minimise wait time for their courses. (Scooter sales are up 7% from the previous year, and the City of Sydney are pushing their hardest to make scooters work, ie. free parking, transit lanes etc etc)

Im just a little sad.

• 02-24-2009 12:15 PM In reply to

• Linz
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-09-2008
    • Macarthur, NSW
    • Posts 914

FOTY,

Check in on the Clyde centre(Stay upright)...5 tracks/5 days a week.....most I had to wait was 5 weeks. Got my Pre Ps on April 2..booked them on 20/2. could have got sooner but my rostering wont allow it..

No affiliation etc etc blah blah blah

Don't look at WHO started it up, look at WHAT has been started up.....
  • 02-24-2009 12:54 PM In reply to

Just spoke to the MD of Stay Upright, he said there are some night courses in Botany and Ryde, but Id be looking at April also :(

Ill just keep checking the RTA site everyday.

• 02-24-2009 01:45 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

This may sound harsh, but they dont care how far you travelled.  And If I was in the course, and I was there on time, I would not be impressed if things started late, because people couldn't organise themselves to get there on time.

Yes there needs to be more available trainers to take up all the excess, but there isn't. I am sure the processes involved to become a trainer is not very easy or cheap either!  When I did my training, there was no one in town who did it, we had to wait for a trainer from another town to come and visit!  Just lucky they did it every month or so.  Now I am lucky where I live in a city where I have choice.  I may have to wait till May to do the Advanced Training which I want to do, but I have been in contact with someone who is going to customise something to suit what I need,and sooner.  I bet he wont tolerate it if I am late without a courtesy call to say I am on my way, but running late.

• 02-24-2009 03:00 PM In reply to

Yes, Dakota it does sound harsh ;(

Well, "stay upright" has a 30minute window. And they are also the qualified trainers for the RTA here in NSW. The General Manager, was quite shocked when I spoke to him. As I also posted;

"on saturday we waited half an hour for a clown to go home and get changed, who turned up to the training in t-shirt , shorts and thongs.... funny thing is.....he never came back."

So it doesnt really make sense..... wait half an hour for an idiot that turned up as though he was going to the beach, but not do 15mins of ridecraft babble, also considering 3/4 riders in my class, i'd be appauled/shocked if they had passed, and they could have done with the extra 15 minutes of training.

• 02-24-2009 04:14 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

I just believe in letting people know if you are running late!  It's simple, easy, and courteous, and at least then they know if to expect you.  But yeah the idiot in the shorts etc should have been sent home, and told not to return.

• 02-24-2009 04:27 PM In reply to

• dozer.
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-26-2008
    • Albury, N.S.W
    • Posts 2,432

Im no fan of late arrivers also. It probably comes from when I was 17, I had some holiday work with my Dad, and was late by 2 mins with my brother (1 year younger) and the *** sent us home for the day without pay..... So, I guess I learnt my lesson, as I'm always on time to work for the past 18 years.

Sleeping in as an excuse (sorry to offend you) is a cop out, and I dont feel sorry for you one bit. I had one of my staff rock up 2.5 hours late for work last year This is how the story went.

Whoopy - "Sorry, I slept in"

Dozer - "No excuses Whoopy, your an adult now mate"

Whoopy - "I didnt hear the alarm"

Dozer - "and?"

Whoopy - "And I didnt wake up"

Dozer - "So? Am I to run this department with minimal staff because you dont hear your alarm?"

Whoopy - "You dont know what its like to be so very tired in the morning. My Mum said that I should ask if I can start late"

Dozer - "I guess if you like waking up late, then you can get used to rocking up to Centrelink at 10am everyday"

Please note, Whoopy is 25 years old, and most probably still b r e a s t feeding of his Mummy. Big Smile

Sorry mate, I dont think that being late to the course warrants any simpathy... 

DOZER.
  • 02-24-2009 04:34 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

*Claps at Dozer*

There is a point in your life where you have to start taking responsibility for your own actions, with most people this is 18 (sometimes younger), some still dont have it at 40.

When I turn my alarm on, I always make sure the station works, and the volume is up.  No excuses!

I would have loved to have used "I am tired, I want to start late" as an excuse when I was working 64 hours a week, days and night shifts, of 12 hours!  I was not in a industry where we can start when we want, I have had that luxury since in one job.  Even without a job 8am is a sleep in!

• 02-24-2009 05:01 PM In reply to

They had 3 numbers, called all of them, no answer, no answering machine.......

Yes, I understand THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR BEING LATE! We all know that. However in business and when it comes to keeping customers/people happy, there is always an element of flexibility. No-one was paying me to be there, I was paying to be there.

Though with the current wait time of up to 3 months, there needs to be flexibilty, cause lets face it s^&* happens sometimes.... in this case I was being late.

This post is about my experience, and how it could have been easily fixed by the training company.

They obviously dont care as they make $150 per person per weekend. (yes, for every dollar the customer pays, the government matches it dollar for dollar).

And also being a scooter rider in a class of manual motorbike learners, I was more work for the trainer (this doesnt apply to the scooter), (you dont need to worry about this), (you need to do it this way) and so on.

So at the end of the day, I slept in, and the trainer could have shown some compassion.

Its great to hear everyones thoughts all the same, (I just hope you are never in a similar position, where you have depreciating assests sitting in the garage gathering dust, and not being able to do anything with them) 

• 02-26-2009 10:37 PM In reply to

• mayken
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-14-2009
    • Yea, Country Victoria
    • Posts 55

I really hate to keep heaping on the bad bad for this topic as I'm sure we all know it's bad to rock up late to a class and expect to be let in.

Coming from the side of a Teacher/Trainer ( in IT not scooters but very tempted lol) it becomes a hassle if you have to stop and restart all the time while conducting your class for people who are late.  I don't have a problem if your say 5 min's late, it happens to the best of us.

But sadly anything over 10 min's is very annoying because it can throw you off your timing and most classes are run to a "schedual" of when it's meant to start, the amount of "fluffying" time  and then doing the set activities and then break's etc.

It's really not  that they don't care, it's more of a "gawd could this person at least let us know"  or "they don't really care or they would have been here on time"  but as I can see that wasn't the case with you, but as the other posters have mentioned, if you'd have called saying you where running late it might have gone better in your favour.

Now for myself with my up coming Learners riding/exam, I have to make sure I get up in time as the class starts at 8am and I have to drive 2hrs to get there, so it's a 6am start no matter what.

Meg :)

----

Proud owner of a Ruby Red Kymco Orion/People S 200 Called Min
  • 02-27-2009 12:19 AM In reply to

• Blam
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-25-2008
    • Nowhere near you, thank God.
    • Posts 437

Our government rider training centre here is just as strict.

They send out, in their instructions, that you need to be there 10 mins before the course starts.  If you rock up even 30 seconds after they shut and lock the door to the classroom portion that starts each day - you're not allowed in.

That's exactly what happened one day I was there. Someone was just a minute late (so therefore actually 11 mins) and the instructor told him through the door, that he wasn't going to unlock it and to go and rebook.

I think the waiting time was about a month or 5 weeks at the time...

• 03-23-2009 11:47 PM In reply to

When I did my riding test. The instructor was SOOOOOOO nice! I came 10mins late, he was like "pffttt, not a problem mate!" (I was $hitting myself in the car, traffic was worse than i'd imagine). Then once i got to the room, i was the 3rd person there, there were 2 others who hasnt arrived. Finally the last person to came in was about 20mins late. But then again he was the weather reporter from CH9 Morning Show...

So i think all depends on your instructor, and yes i'd be angry if my students were all late!

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au