Scooter
Community

Vespa LX125 Windscreens

Last post 03-07-2009 09:12 AM by veggie. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-05-2009 08:24 PM

• veggie
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-06-2008
    • Northern Beaches, Sydney
    • Posts 457

Vespa LX125 Windscreens

Hello Everyone....

I've been thinking about perhaps getting a windscreen/shield for my scoot for the upcoming winter months probably the shorter one rather than the massive big one (i think the big one looks ridulous!).

http://www.scooterwest.com/item_detail/LX-Sport-Flyscreen-CLEAR/1473/

http://www.scooterwest.com/item_detail/LX-Mod-Flyscreen/392/

http://www.scooterwest.com/item_detail/LX-Large-Windshield-Original-Piaggio/2249/

So I wanted to hear from any Vespa owners who has one or the other and what they feel the pro's and con's are of having them.

Are they easy to put on / take off.  For example, when it warms up a bit i may want to take it off for the summer months.

Thanks guys for any tips.

THE DREAM IS ALIVE!!! IT'S A VESPA AND IT'S ALL MINE!!!!
    WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

It's name is WOW
  • 03-05-2009 08:32 PM In reply to

Re: Vespa LX125 Windscreens

OK. I like the small one as I no longer feel like I'm going to tumble off the back of the scooter when taking off at the lights, but it does push the wind into my helmet & creates noise. Apparently it also affects the handling of the scooter, but I can't really tell.

I did have the tall screen on for a time but didn't like it at all as I felt too isolated although I'm sure it would have it's benefits for winter since it would redirect wind & rain up over your head.

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 03-05-2009 10:16 PM In reply to

ive had a really tall screen on an old vespa and the bloody thing acted like a sail at any speed over 70 kms even with minimal wind i couldnt steer it properly so it went in the bin . 

smaller screens with the right shape keep the wind of your body and i like em

dont get struck by a truck
  • 03-05-2009 10:25 PM In reply to

• veggie
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-06-2008
    • Posts 457

hmmm yeah ok, i was thinking the small one but was trying to get an idea of how the wind would deflect off it, like would it smack me straight in the chest or knock my head off my shoulders..... it's not pleasent when the wind is bashing your head around!!

I wonder if the local scooter shop would have one i could "try before i buy"........

It's name is WOW
  • 03-05-2009 10:35 PM In reply to

• dozer.
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-26-2008
    • Albury, N.S.W
    • Posts 2,432

veggie, I had the short flyscreen from vespa on the GT. It's fantastic, and I left it on all year. The take about 2 mins to remove with a shifting spanner if you want but it's awesome and you'll leave it on. Being tall, I found the wind In my head a bit, but hey? Were on a fricken scooter eh? I'm no fan of any other screen than the short vespa brand flyscreen. When I get another Vespa, that's the first thing I'm putting ok it. In the rain, I found it to help keep me dry while moving. I may even considder one of those gay lap blanket poof skirts from corazzo too.
    DOZER.
  • 03-05-2009 10:45 PM In reply to

veggie:
    like would it smack me straight in the chest or knock my head off my shoulders..... it's not pleasent when the wind is bashing your head around!!

The shorty screen deflects the wind away from your chest & onto the helmet but your head doesn't get pushed around, although I guess that will depend on what kind of helmet you use. Most helmets are made to be aerodynamic so the wind just brushes past. You might want to look at buying a decent set of earplugs though if you're going to be doing longer rides as the wind noise can mean you reach your destination deafened.

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 03-06-2009 04:52 PM In reply to

• Linz
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-09-2008
    • Macarthur, NSW
    • Posts 914

Ive put a flyscreen on my Vespa and I like it too....

I have noticed a bit more wind into my face and chin, but nothing worth worying about as have the visor down on my helmet. Also noticed that the extra wind helps blow the rain drops of the visor, by turning my head slowly side to side, once in a while

Although Ive noticed more low speed wobble in the front end (maybe the steering is just loosening up) recently

Don't look at WHO started it up, look at WHAT has been started up.....
  • 03-06-2009 04:59 PM In reply to

Linz:
    Although Ive noticed more low speed wobble in the front end (maybe the steering is just loosening up) recently

What tyres do you have Linz?

oooh baby there goes the karate instructor without a top on...

Sorry, got a bit distracted there for a second..

Good tyres make all the difference with the wobble. I have Pirellis & barely notice it where as I recently saw a very bad example in a rider on a GT200 where he actually wobbled to the wrong side of the road on take off before correcting his steering & heading off up the road.

Wanda
  • 03-06-2009 05:22 PM In reply to

• Linz
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-09-2008
    • Macarthur, NSW
    • Posts 914

I, too, have the Pirellis on.

Its a slight wobble when slowing down though.

Nothing worth really worrying about, more of a shake in the hand thing. Maybe a tighter grip is needed......(Leave it alone!!..deviants!!)

• 03-06-2009 05:23 PM In reply to

• Linz
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-09-2008
    • Macarthur, NSW
    • Posts 914

and I love it when you call me baby!!...

• 03-06-2009 05:35 PM In reply to

• veggie
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-06-2008
    • Posts 457

just picked myself up off the floor.....those short windscreens are $229.................crikey!!!!!!!!

It's name is WOW
  • 03-06-2009 05:39 PM In reply to

• Linz
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-09-2008
    • Macarthur, NSW
    • Posts 914

ebay.co.uk

• 03-06-2009 06:14 PM In reply to

Big Smile

Try getting a good grip on the left grip & pushing away slightly to the right as you take off. Also look up & forward to help you balance.

Wanda
  • 03-06-2009 07:56 PM In reply to

• veggie
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-06-2008
    • Posts 457

Linz:

ebay.co.uk

can't find any for a LX all for PX or GTS but not LX.......

Does $229 seem expensive - what have others paid?

It's name is WOW
  • 03-06-2009 08:57 PM In reply to

• dozer.
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-26-2008
    • Albury, N.S.W
    • Posts 2,432

veggie:
     Does $229 seem expensive - what have others paid?

That's the price alrite Veggie....  You should just keep a shifting spanner in your scooter, and ride around the carparks at the beach, find an LX with a flyscreen, and it's a simple 20 second procedure to remove theirs, and take off as fast as you can go.... hehehehe.

DOZER.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au