Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Honda

What are my options?

Last post 12-09-2009 09:40 PM by yachtie01. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-15-2009 04:07 PM

• DJRJ_AU
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-07-2008
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 7

What are my options?

I have an SYM HD200 that's just had its 27,500km service, and now things are going a bit wonky.  First off I suspect that the battery is one the way out.  I've had it since I bought it back in October 2006, and now can be rather reluctant to hold a charge unless I run it every couple of days.  On Thursday night I had to jump-start the wee beastie in order to get back home.  This was after it had been idle for about a week or so, and I had an interesting time of it getting it started for a quick run out to my son's scout hall..

At any rate after I got it started I thought that I'd give the battery a charge and ran it around for a bit.  45 minutes later and I take it home and as I'm pulling into the driveway I noticed that the temp gage was past halfway and on it's way to touching red.  Not good, it's never done that sort of thing even when it's been stuck in traffic on a stinking hot day.  Checking out the window to the coolant tank shows that there's not a lot there, and after sitting in the garage for a bit I see spots of coolant on the ground.  Again, it's never done that before either.

This afternoon I ran out to Supercheap Auto just to get a litre bottle of premixed coolant to top things up until I could get it into a service centre.  My usual centre is Yamaha City in the CBD and I live in Tarneit, so why take chances with overcooking the engine on the way?  I figured that I'd remove 10 screws, 1 bolt and remove the back panel of the front faring to fill the reserve coolant tank and then sake the front panel off and drop the rest of the coolant into the main tank.

Things turned ominous from the first screw I removed.  This is the first time that I've taken anything to my HD200, I'm not mechanically inclined and never pretend to be, so I invariably leave this to people far more qualified than me.  At any rate of the 10 screws I removed about half of them had been so tightly turned into place that they had stripped themselves out.  In addition the bold that holds the luggage hook (and I suspect much of the back panel as well) has been tightened in place so much that trying to remove it resulted in the head of the bolt sheering off. At this point I stopped everything that I had been doing, put the screws back and left things alone.

So, I have an HD200 with a coolant leak, a dodgy battery and half the screws that are supposed to hold the front faring together are running somewhat loose in place.  I'd take it to my usual service centre but I don't want to run it into the CBD from Werribee when there are almost certainly places far closer to home that are just as well suited to fixing things up for me.  Who do you recommend to bring things back to shape?

• 03-15-2009 04:36 PM In reply to

• E2W
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-21-2008
    • Fitzroy North Melbourne
    • Posts 482

Re: What are my options?

I'd be bias if I said take it to www.everythingtwowheels.com.au Big Smile

Your trying to take the wrong panel off to get to the radiator filler cap if you are removing the luggage hook. You undo all the screws and take away the panel that holds the headlight of the front of the scooter. (see photo)

If you scooter has a spot of coolant under it it could be the mechanical seal of the water pump has failed. Where the water pump is there is a tiny drain hole right under the bottom of the pump. If the coolant is coming out of there then its the seal and it will need replacing. I did one last week. Click here to see.   http://www.scootercommunity.com.au/blogs/everything_two_wheels_-_e2w/archive/2009/03/14/59904.aspx#59906

Everything Two Wheels

www.everythingtwowheels.com.au
  • 03-15-2009 05:54 PM In reply to

• DJRJ_AU
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-07-2008
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 7

Assuming  that I take it to you to have a look at how long would it be off the road, and (ballpark) how much would it cost?  I'm more than a little leery of riding this at the moment with the faring like it is (the screws are there but some of them have been stripped), and then there's that bolt with the snapped head to deal with.

Oh, everyone's biased.  Wink  Yous appears to have some merit, I've had a quick stroll through your website and I like what I see.  Now if only you weren't so infernally far from Werribee...

• 03-15-2009 07:05 PM In reply to

• Hotwire
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-02-2009
    • Perth
    • Posts 49

Did you buy your HD new? Just wondering how long your warranty period is.

SYM HD 200
  • 03-15-2009 07:19 PM In reply to

• DJRJ_AU
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-07-2008
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 7

It was new, right off the dealer's floor when I bought it in 2006.  I think there's a 2 year warranty, and if so that's long gone..

• 03-15-2009 07:41 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

Sounds like it needs a good servicing

2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 03-15-2009 08:29 PM In reply to

• Hotwire
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-02-2009
    • Perth
    • Posts 49

DJRJ_AU:

It was new, right off the dealer's floor when I bought it in 2006.  I think there's a 2 year warranty, and if so that's long gone..

I would check if i were you. As far as i know they have a 4 year warranty.

Unless the 4 year warranty has only been in for a short time. But worth a check!

SYM HD 200
  • 03-16-2009 12:29 PM In reply to

Hotwire:
    Unless the 4 year warranty has only been in for a short time

It was upgraded to 4 years in 2007

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 03-17-2009 12:27 PM In reply to

• DJRJ_AU
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-07-2008
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 7

So, the bolt that holds the luggage hook in place is not structurally important to the rest of the faring?  I ask because I'll be the one riding it down the Princes Freeway to get it patched up and I'd prefer it if the scooter were not to fall apart from under me while I'm doing it.  I'm anxious enough as it is about the suspicious lack of radiator coolant and cooking the engine...
  • 03-17-2009 10:38 PM In reply to

• Blam
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-25-2008
    • Nowhere near you, thank God.
    • Posts 437

I'd transport it. Ring for a taxi truck if you don't know someone with a ute/van/car & trailer.

• 07-29-2009 01:41 PM In reply to

• DJRJ_AU
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-07-2008
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 7

A HAPPY POSTSCRIPT TO THE ABOVE.

I called E2W last Friday afternoon with regard to the (continuing) cooling issues I was having with my HD200, and was assured that I could bring it in any time the following morning.  I'm not mechanically inclined, and place a lot of trust in the people who are.

The practical upshot to everything that happened was my radiator got filled with coolant again - it may seem that somehow the steadily lowering levels of radiator fluid missed the attention of the person who did the 30,000km service (and the 27,500km service and the 25,000km service and ...) - and I was on the road again with a much happier scooter within an hour.

Thanks Pete, you've made a new repeat customer and advocate.

• 07-29-2009 02:53 PM In reply to

• E2W
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-21-2008
    • Fitzroy North Melbourne
    • Posts 482

God Im good! Smile I've found that most liquid cooled engines do tend to run cooler with a slpash of coolant in them.

Everything Two Wheels

www.everythingtwowheels.com.au
  • 07-29-2009 05:38 PM In reply to

lmao

brisvegas resident
  • 12-09-2009 03:35 PM In reply to

• DJRJ_AU
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-07-2008
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 7

E2W:

God Im good! Smile I've found that most liquid cooled engines do tend to run cooler with a slpash of coolant in them.

They work even better (and keep their coolant) when the head gasket isn't leaking like a sieve.  How strange it must have been for my previous (and never going back in a blind blue fit) service centre to fail to cotton on to the fact that they had to keep topping up with coolant every 2,500km and that I'd mention the leaking coolant every time I brought it in for a service (from day 1).

Pete rocks, lots.

• 12-09-2009 08:04 PM In reply to

Hey Pete - nice job (again)!   Always good to hear the positive side of stories like this, but it does beg the question about what kind of servicing the other mob were doing (and charging you good money for I assume).   

I'm not one for encouraging people to bad mouth business's on the forums, as often there is more to the story than at first meets the eye, but if you were having your scooter serviced by an authorised dealer for the product, I'd be considering letting the supplier know that one of their dealers might be letting the side down.  With luck a bit of training will stop such things being missed again.  If they aren't an authorised dealer, its a good example highlighting where a lack of knowledge can end up with trouble further down the line.

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au