Scooter
Community

New rider Daelim S1:)

Last post 04-23-2009 02:45 PM by Daelim One. 44 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (45 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-30-2009 11:59 AM In reply to

Re: New rider Daelim S1:)

I love the seat on the S1.  Makes the Blades seat feel like a wooden plank.  To me, it is a single couch with 2 wheels:)  Other than that, I am glad your happy overall with your S1.   I appreciate your negatives about the bike.  Dash indicator displays are pretty bad in sunlight yes, but they are extremely loud, plastic around foot well can be protected using similar material to gorilla grips.  What the surfers use on their boards.  Cheap @ 8 bucks from Clark rubber.  Pic above.  I am sure the rear rack would carry more, say 6kgs,Smile but as a safety measure, Daelim has suggested 5kgs as it wiould upset cog greatly for inexperienced riders:)

The glove box has a pretty tacky opener, but it seem to work no worries.  The fit is like an old Fiats body panels.

Can you let me know how the charging of the phone goes, how long for and did the S1 kick over straight away as per usual?  Just interested how much juice it will suck out of the battery.

Thanks

Peter

• 04-02-2009 06:45 AM In reply to

Gday Peter If the Blade is that uncomfortable, change it for a Vstrom! Makes the Daelim feel like a wooden plank! Have notched up a further 300km since my first note, and the little motor is slowly freeing up. The manual says not to run the motor over 6000rpm for the first 1000k but alas no tacho! Emailed Daelim for advice last week, but no reply. I have limited speed to around 80 but have reached 90 occasionally. Hope that's ok, but most of my rides are on the Princes Hwy so not keen to go slower. I remembered the other reason I purchased the Daelim over the Sym VS125. The Daelim, due to its oil filter, requires servicing every 4000k, whereas the Sym, without a filter, requires 2000k services. However, am changing the oil at 500k for the first service due to the relatively high speeds I have been maintaining. Seems the filter, from what the manual says, is a very rudimentary kind, not a cartridge, so needs to be cleaned rather than replaced. I also asked Daelim if the motor should be run on standard or premium unleaded, and if fuel containing ethanol could be used. As I said above, no reply to my email. Any advice from owners or scooter agents? Nexusdave
  • 04-02-2009 09:01 AM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,087

nexusdave:
    I have limited speed to around 80 but have reached 90 occasionally. . However, am changing the oil at 500k for the first service due to the relatively high speeds I have been maintaining. Seems the filter, from what the manual says, is a very rudimentary kind, not a cartridge, so needs to be cleaned rather than replaced. I also asked Daelim if the motor should be run on standard or premium unleaded, and if fuel containing ethanol could be used.
    You shouldn't have any problem about riding up to 90kph on a new engine, Its not a bad idea to change the oil like you are planning at 500k. That's when most of the grit from a new engine is about. I think the filter for the S1 is a plastic and cardboard cartridge, well it is on the NS 125.

For fuel injected engines use high octane premium, its only about $1 extra per tank at the most and your scoot will go much better., the word is not to use ethanol as it can perish some plastic parts in the fuel system. Have fun with the S1, Daelims are super reliable and can handle anything you dish up to them.

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 04-02-2009 10:36 AM In reply to

nexusdave:
    Any advice from owners or scooter agents? Nexusdave

Just contact us.

If you are going to change oil at 500 don't go full synthetic, we like to wait to 1,000 & let the mineral based oil run for running in. It is a proper filter not a metal strainer, don't forget the rubber O ring.

You can run the EFI S1 on either fuel, if the extra 60c per fill isn't going to send you broke go for it. I just wouldn't run E10

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 04-02-2009 11:37 AM In reply to

Thanks Peter and Scooter HQ. I'll run on premium, and use a mineral oil for the first change. Is the rubber O ring supplied with the filter, or sold separately? If the latter, I assume the O ring is for the plug, not the filter. I would normally ask the agent I purchased the scooter from, but they are scooter hirers branching out into sales, and do not have a dedicated scooter mechanic. Nice people, but I just don't want to be the guinea pig! HQ, a lot of riders owe you by the look of the number of responses on many issues by you on this site! I have come across some forum discussion on fuel consumption not being as good as owners were led to believe for the S1. I achieved 3.2 l/100km for the first fill, and 3.0 for the second which I am happy with. This could improve as the scooter runs in, and is another reason I went for a fuel injected scooter. It is also the reason I have a scooter!
  • 04-02-2009 12:21 PM In reply to

O ring is for the cover holding in the oil filter.  

We've sort of become Daelims tech centre & help out where we can (Dealers & owners). The Carby NS can get thirsty at higher speeds but so will anything with 4 valves, EFI on S1 fixed that & if you ride by exhaust note they get amazing economy. There was one rider in NSW who had economy problems but it was due to a leaky fuel tank. 

Thanks for the positive feedback.

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 04-02-2009 03:20 PM In reply to

Oh dear o dear, I should have never dissed my blade.  I was just so comfortable in my S1 lounge chair, the Honda was compared.  Poor Honda. I still love you.  I can't change it as I lerv it dearly.  My original No1 post thought about different touring bikes.

Now, your scooter sounds to be going well.  I've only done about 50 kay and gone to about 80 or so.  Varying the throttle etc.  Opinions vary from hacks like me to all the way up to Baba San himself (Mr Honda) on how motors should be broken in.  To thrash or not to thrash?  If your interested, I will post the article.

I only use regular unleaded in mine.   You can use high octane, it won't hurt it, but power/performance is similar, if not the same.  I would not use E10. 

6000rpm on the Daelim, that would be flat out.  I'll rig up a tacho from my r/c planes and let you know. 

Not sure whats going on with you, but I call Daelim Aust and get answered in 30 seconds.  Why email when you can call?

Keep up the good work

Peter 

• 04-16-2009 04:02 PM In reply to

Daelim fans,

S1 is set up to go fishing tomorrow morning.  Just thought I'd share pics of my excitement.   Plan going to the Royal Nat Park, throw a line in, take photos and put some kays on the scooter.Big Smile

Using Cajun 4lb line on the rod for bream.Cool

The Ugly Stick.

S1 cockpit.

Peter

• 04-16-2009 05:14 PM In reply to

• nimal
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-06-2009
    • Posts 22

Thanks Daelim One.  Love the pictures.

I am thinking I would like to buy a Daelim, but no sign of any stock being available in Perth so not sure how I will be able to get one.

Going for my license on the 10th June, and hope to test it after that (hopefully I will pass).

In the meantime, interested in your posts (and pics) on the Daelim. 

Kepp updating us. 

Nimal

Daelim S1
  • 04-16-2009 05:23 PM In reply to

I also like the sound of the Daelim good bikes but where are the dealers don't think there are any in SA ether  For a company thats been in australia for so long there should be heaps of dealers why not ?

Tha' can allus tell a Yorkshireman, but tha' can't tell 'im much
  • 04-16-2009 07:36 PM In reply to

Thank you nimal for replying:-)

Hopefully, this pic loads smaller so fans can see the entire vehicle with 4ft rod attached, for fish of course.

Best of luck with your license.

I have a redundant mate that will follow me all the way from the Sham (Petersham) to the Royal. 

I am worried about potholes.Angry

I hit one @ Ashfield. The Daelim took it well, but crikey.  Hands on bars.

You take care

Peter

• 04-16-2009 07:49 PM In reply to

pyrah:

I also like the sound of the Daelim good bikes but where are the dealers don't think there are any in SA ether  For a company thats been in australia for so long there should be heaps of dealers why not ?

Good question pyrah.

Get up em mate?  Tell them to go South OZ & Perth so Daelim enthusiasts can ride.   Maybe time, maybe the state of the friggen economy, maybe they hit Sydney first?  I don't know, I am a mere scooter rider with adds at the bottom of my posts, lol

Peter

• 04-16-2009 08:10 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,087

nimal:

Thanks Daelim One.  Love the pictures.

I am thinking I would like to buy a Daelim, but no sign of any stock being available in Perth so not sure how I will be able to get one.

Going for my license on the 10th June, and hope to test it after that (hopefully I will pass).

In the meantime, interested in your posts (and pics) on the Daelim. 

Kepp updating us. 

I thought Steve at Ace had them. In Daelims ad in last years Scooter Mag it mentions

SA: Park Holme 08 8177 1700

and WA: Freemantle  08 9433 4613

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 04-16-2009 08:16 PM In reply to

petegailey:
    I thought Steve at Ace had them. In their ad in last years Scooter Mag it mentions

We did but they sold like the proverbial hot cakes! Put some pressure on Steve@Ace, he has promised to get one in as a demo. It's about time he makes good on that promise!

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 04-16-2009 09:13 PM In reply to

Try again, S1 next to my raspberry canes.

Page 2 of 3 (45 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au